Building a mini ITX Ryzen - advice?

JordanCL

[H]ard|Gawd
My 3930k + RIVE in my sig is just having too many problems these days. It's been moved from NY->CA and within CA multiple times, and I have a bad component in there somewhere. I have all sorts of crashes separated by months of no issues. Sometimes fixed by reformat / reinstall, sometimes by pulling some ram, etc. I'm bad at troubleshooting and don't really enjoy it and I just want to build something fresh (and smaller would win me wife points).

I'm planning on following this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3252066/computers/how-to-build-a-mini-itx-ryzen-gaming-pc.html

But I'm not up to speed on Ryzen and current components.
What do you all think about their proposed build - anything obviously missing or not up to date?

Sugo SG13
Biostar Racing X370GTN
Ryzen 1600 or 1800x
GPU TBD
8GB DDR4
SSD

Thanks!

Well I would wait for ebay sale.They have them every week for 15%-20% off.With the sale it would off set the cost of new AMD Ryzen gear released rather than buying older AMD Ryzen CPU.
I would look into new AMD B450 boards released this month like ROG Strix B450-I Gaming or get a cheaper model MSI/Gigabyte for better comparability with DDR4 Ram.
CPU I would get Ryzen+ 2300X/2500X/2600/2600X/2700/2700X
Get a good GPU to play games at high resolution.

Recommend looking at mATX instead.

Biggest reason? You mention WAF, and small spaces + high TDPs -> noise. You want to minimize noise? Get ready to experiment and pay :).

You want it to be quiet and just work? mATX gets you smaller and silent with no fuss.

Here's mine, I'm using the same board, specs in sig:

Size of a slim console and able to run vr games. I went r7 1700 as I had one from a previous build and it's a good match to the 1050ti. The 1700 stays really cool, I don't think it's gone over 70C at stock clocks with the noctua cooler, and I know it can do better with some ducting. It'd be tougher to cool a 95w or 105w processor, and the 1050ti would limit them anyway.

Nice thing with the 1700 is it has enough extra threads for streaming. The goal was to have a portable vr setup coupled with my hp windows mr headset and it's worked well so far.

If your case will fit a full sized matx, that's the way I'd go (as mentioned above), more selection and expansion. My case will only fit 2 ram slot matx boards or mitx, and the biostar seemed to be the best price for feature board with those restrictions.

Attachments

• 20180522_174247.jpg
    20180522_174247.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 0
My 3930k + RIVE in my sig is just having too many problems these days. It's been moved from NY->CA and within CA multiple times, and I have a bad component in there somewhere. I have all sorts of crashes separated by months of no issues. Sometimes fixed by reformat / reinstall, sometimes by pulling some ram, etc. I'm bad at troubleshooting and don't really enjoy it and I just want to build something fresh (and smaller would win me wife points).

I'm planning on following this: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3252066/computers/how-to-build-a-mini-itx-ryzen-gaming-pc.html

But I'm not up to speed on Ryzen and current components.
What do you all think about their proposed build - anything obviously missing or not up to date?

Sugo SG13
Biostar Racing X370GTN
Ryzen 1600 or 1800x
GPU TBD
8GB DDR4
SSD

Thanks!

get the 2700 over the 2700x I have the same case running 2700x with a cryorig C1 heatsink and it's fine but i think the lower TDP chip would be a better fit for that case.

Well I would wait for ebay sale.They have them every week for 15%-20% off.With the sale it would off set the cost of new AMD Ryzen gear released rather than buying older AMD Ryzen CPU.
I would look into new AMD B450 boards released this month like ROG Strix B450-I Gaming or get a cheaper model MSI/Gigabyte for better comparability with DDR4 Ram.
CPU I would get Ryzen+ 2300X/2500X/2600/2600X/2700/2700X
Get a good GPU to play games at high resolution.

The B450 Strix ITX looks amazing with 3600 mhz ram support due to "shorter connections".

There are some amazing deals out there for Ryzen 1, but in either case, staying 6 cores or less for a small ITX build might be best to ensure heat stays down on the xpu and VRMs.

I would avoid mATX AM4 boards if it were me. I'd try and shoot for the Asus b450 or X470 ITX. I believe that one might actually have a 6 phase VRM (could be wrong). I know the asrock has a doubled 3 phase VRM and the others aren't much better off as far as I'm aware. Same goes for a lot of the mATX offerings. Mostly budget 3 and 4 phase offerings to be had in mATX.

As long as you have a case with 70mm of clearance for a good Noctua L12S, you should be ok.

A personal case recommendation: Look into the Silverstone ML09.

I built a 2200G build with it and its super portable at the same size as an Xbox One gen1.

It accepts 70mm of height for air coolers, SFX PSUs, 4 2.5in. drives, and has room for a dual slot low profile card such as a 1050ti.

If the low profile card situation is a problem, then I would consider a different case.

Here are some of my build experiences and picrures if they are of interest: Forum Link

Last edited:
I have the same setup (Case/mobo) and have not had a single issue. I have a 1700, water cooled with a single 120mm AIO, 16gb of Gskill 3200, and an EVGA 1070ti ultra quiet (yes, a triple wide videocard shoehorned into a mITX case). My temps are low and I have had no issues whatsoever. Plan the build accordingly, and you can get it all to fit.

Back