Building a Miner in 2017...

ghat

n00b
hi
With Bitcoin prices touching $19K/$ I am seriously thinking of building a miner...

NO NO>>. I dont want to mine any bitcoin, its past the game...

I wanted to mine other Altcoins and keep them in my pool...

I dont want to big-rig...

To start I think a rig with just one graphics card with option to add one more later down the line...

Any recommendations ?

I am looking for a 2XPCIe16 slot MB so I can reuse my uATX case...
something like
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119042

Or should I go for a cheaper older chipset ?

Any comments will be appreciated...

Any links to current recommendations of mining hosts.. will be also great.

G

Is it even profitable these days for a hobbyist with a few cards to mine BTC?

Is it even profitable these days for a hobbyist with a few cards to mine BTC?
not really if you're looking at short term profitability. If you mine and grab a variety pack of coins and just forget about them yeah there's still a good shot at having a ton. Think of the people who mined for a lil while on nicehash like a year ago and mined something small like $100 over time. as BTC has gone nuts that $100 is presently really worth something. The same kind of thing can happen if you use something like miningpoolhub you can quickly stockpile a small amount of quite a few coins.

Reactions: ghat
like this
So BTC: Don't bother unless you have a significant investment in miners
Everything Else: Mine away

yeah and use whattomine as a way to guide you. I really like cryptonight algo since it barely uses any power and has been frequently the highest paying in short term revenues. Equihash is great on the Nv cards. Eth is a complete waste really for most cards unless you have a serious hardon for the coin the real money will remain elsewhere. It is stable though for budgeting purposes but if you're wanting to take a shot at getting rich don't bother mining eth.

I’m building one right now, waiting for the case to show up from newegg :)

I got a B250 mobo with 6 pcie slots, minimal ram, Celeron CPU, 1200w platinum psu, 2x970 and 1x1070 gpu’s so far, eventually will be 6x1070’s.

Hard part now will be setting up a miner without the simplicity of nicehash :(

Reactions: ghat
like this
I’m building one right now, waiting for the case to show up from newegg :)

I got a B250 mobo with 6 pcie slots, minimal ram, Celeron CPU, 1200w platinum psu, 2x970 and 1x1070 gpu’s so far, eventually will be 6x1070’s.

Hard part now will be setting up a miner without the simplicity of nicehash :(
Can you please elaborate on your configuration...

not really if you're looking at short term profitability. If you mine and grab a variety pack of coins and just forget about them yeah there's still a good shot at having a ton. Think of the people who mined for a lil while on nicehash like a year ago and mined something small like $100 over time. as BTC has gone nuts that $100 is presently really worth something. The same kind of thing can happen if you use something like miningpoolhub you can quickly stockpile a small amount of quite a few coins.
Exactly... I did that for fun 4 years ago when BTC was < $100 ... I sold a tiny fraction of my savings, and want to build a miner :) to mine all the low complexity stuff for the next few years...

Can you please elaborate on your configuration...

11-147-270-V01.jpg

BIOSTAR TB250-BTC LGA 1151 Intel B250 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard
Rosewill Quark Series 1200W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply with LED Indicator, 80Plus Platinum Certified, Single +12V Rail
Intel Celeron G3930 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1151
6-Pack Mining Dedicated Riser USB 3.0 PCI-e Express 1X to 16X Riser Card Extender Adapter Monero BTC ETH with USB 3.0 Data Cable 60CM + 15Pin SATA to 6Pin Power Cable w/ Adhesive Pad VER006C

Plus GPU's and Ram and a spare HDD... should get it up and running next week.. if the PCIE riser cards show up!

Hello, I didnt want to open a new thread, sorry for interruption conversation.

I'm building a budget 2 or 3-card mining rig. The videocards are the only parts left to buy.

I'm using my old mobo(with 3 total pcie slots), and a PSU i bought recently - EVGA 500B Bronze (500 Watt).
Will this PSU be enough to power two GTX 1060's and eventually three of them (considering that the CPU is AMD Sempron 140 (45W draw)?

Hello, I didnt want to open a new thread, sorry for interruption conversation.

I'm building a budget 2 or 3-card mining rig. The videocards are the only parts left to buy.

I'm using my old mobo(with 3 total pcie slots), and a PSU i bought recently - EVGA 500B Bronze (500 Watt).
Will this PSU be enough to power two GTX 1060's and eventually three of them (considering that the CPU is AMD Sempron 140 (45W draw)?

Wattage wise, yes, however, I'm not sure what you get for dedicated 12v amps. An undervolted 1060 should draw about 65-90w depending on the power limit.

11-147-270-V01.jpg

BIOSTAR TB250-BTC LGA 1151 Intel B250 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard
Rosewill Quark Series 1200W Full Modular Gaming Power Supply with LED Indicator, 80Plus Platinum Certified, Single +12V Rail
Intel Celeron G3930 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 2.9 GHz LGA 1151
6-Pack Mining Dedicated Riser USB 3.0 PCI-e Express 1X to 16X Riser Card Extender Adapter Monero BTC ETH with USB 3.0 Data Cable 60CM + 15Pin SATA to 6Pin Power Cable w/ Adhesive Pad VER006C

Plus GPU's and Ram and a spare HDD... should get it up and running next week.. if the PCIE riser cards show up!

Yeah. I was looking at that case. They also make a 8-GPU version which includes front-facing fans and more rear fans: 3x 120mm, 4x 80mm. It doesn't have any middle fans but you'd probably be able to squeeze a 1200w easier into the 8 GPU case.

I’m considering putting my sig rig to use mining Equihash, would it just be a waste and kill my hardware? Could mine while I’m at work for 8 to 10 hours a day.

damn, looks like I can't access Nicehash to download the miner. Not sure what to do now, this is so confusing lol

Sprayingmango If you are intent on Equihash algo mining, use DSTM's miner. Download the miner here. His BTCTalk page is here.

You will want to hook your miners up to an auto-exchanging pool like MiningPoolHub. Your cards will automatically hit the most profitable Equihash coin. MiningPoolHub will exchange it to BTC (you will need to tell it to do that) and pay out to your wallet.

pclausen has 1080 Ti's in his setup. If he is willing, i'm sure you could get setup info from him.

In regards to Nicehash, they are a 'click n run' setup for you. In other words, they provided the mining tool + all the individual miner software the tool guided. Those individual miners are all downloadable in various places on the internets. What are you doing now is going "manual" - setting it all up yourself. Nicehash took care of all this low-level setup business and abstracted the whole mining experience to a little bit of profit configuration.

Last edited:
Sprayingmango If you are intent on Equihash algo mining, use DSTM's miner. Download the miner here. His BTCTalk page is here.

You will want to hook your miners up to an auto-exchanging pool like MiningPoolHub. Your cards will automatically hit the most profitable Equihash coin. MiningPoolHub will exchange it to BTC (you will need to tell it to do that) and pay out to your wallet.

pclausen has 1080 Ti's in his setup. If he is willing, i'm sure you could get setup info from him.

In regards to Nicehash, they are a 'click n run' setup for you. In other words, they provided the mining tool + all the individual miner software the tool guided. Those individual miners are all downloadable in various places on the internets. What are you doing now is going "manual" - setting it all up yourself. Nicehash took care of all this low-level setup business and abstracted the whole mining experience to a little bit of profit configuration.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42275523

How safe is nicehash at this point? I mean, if i don't use their wallet and just join a pool i should be good right?

Back