Building a home Hyper-V server, are these parts compatible?

Any particular reason you are going AMD? Why a six core and not an 8 core cpu? The motherboard is limited to 32GB of RAM, does this concern you? Gigabyte's site lists drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 but not server 2012R2, its possible it may work just fine or you could have driver issues. The board comes with only one network card, are you adding any additional?

Gigabytes site lists the CPU as supported, as for the memory the closest model they have listed as being supported is this TED38GM1600C11BK so its hard to say if the one you have chosen will work.

Any particular reason you are going AMD? Why a six core and not an 8 core cpu? The motherboard is limited to 32GB of RAM, does this concern you? Gigabyte's site lists drivers for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 but not server 2012R2, its possible it may work just fine or you could have driver issues. The board comes with only one network card, are you adding any additional?

Gigabytes site lists the CPU as supported, as for the memory the closest model they have listed as being supported is this TED38GM1600C11BK so its hard to say if the one you have chosen will work.

Budget would be the reason. No preference on brand, but I know AMD is cheaper. 6 core is more than enough for me, as it's for experimentation and development. 32GB is also more than enough. One NIC is fine too, but I have an extra PCI NIC if I need it.

What about the RAM? I noticed the board only supports up to 1333, but my chosen RAM is 1600. Any issues here? Will I just not get the full speed?

Still waiting for you to answer my PSU question from your last thread.

Your chosen motherboard has the HD Radeon 3000 onboard video so no you don't need a dedicated video card.

Its a 380 watt Antec with enough cables. I'm no worried much about it. Does it really matter? I care more about the CPU/board/RAM compatibility. Thanks.

It matters because why build a PC if the PSU is going to be crap? Not worth doing at that point. Which Antec 380W and how old is it?

Also are you planning on using direct pass though?

Does it really matter?

People from the place you came to for advice are asking you about it. Based solely on that, it's probably safe for you to assume that it matters if you value the advice you came here to receive.

I'm actually on a trip for a couple weeks so I don't know the exact part off hand. I know it's a 380 watt Antec that's in pretty new condition. It wasn't anything fancy.

There's no issue with your RAM: RAM will downclock automatically to the highest speed supported by the motherboard/CPU.

Also, at $46 shipped, the NZXT Source 210 case you have is a bad choice since $4 more gets you the NZXT Source 210 Elite:
$50 - NZXT Source 210 Elite Black ATX Case

The Source 210 Elite comes with a top 140mm exhaust fan, front panel USB 3.0 port, and tooless hard drive and optical bays. Well worth the normal $10 price difference let alone the $4 difference.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back