Building a FX6100 system need MB advice

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
I will be ordering my new system soon, what is the most compatable and reliable Micro ATX motherboard that is out of the box ready for the FX processors.

Why micro atx? The only brand of motherboards ive had trouble with is ECS and certain MSI. Gigabyte, biostar, asus, asrock all been really solid for me.

anything with a black socket should work with fx, but I prefer to stick with the newest 9xx series of chipsets for future compatibly.

stick with a reputable brand like gigabyte or msi, and you should be fine. My personal preference is gigabyte, but it's personal and not really because I think one manufacturer is better than the other. Though I don't trust zotac, or jetway, or even asrock to a certain extent.

Why micro atx? The only brand of motherboards ive had trouble with is ECS and certain MSI. Gigabyte, biostar, asus, asrock all been really solid for me.

Nothing against full ATX per say... But I simply don't need all of the slots and can usually save a few bucks.

Personally I would be really nervous to build a system around the FX processor without using a 900 series chipset. The 900 was designed for the FX processors, the older motherboards can be made to work with bios updates and such, but seems like a gamble to me.

On the cheaper end there is a gigabyte 970 and asrock 970 at newegg for around $90. Both have been rock solid brands for me so thats the route id personally go -- also they have dual 16x slots (16x/4x) so you can crossfire down the road if you so wish.

edit: I just read some reviews of so called AM3+ micro atx motherboards and out of the box they are not ready for FX processors. you first have to install an AM3 CPU then do a bios update before a FX cpu will work.

I'd opt for a full ATX board myself. There doesn't seem to be that many solid mATX boards out there. They all seem to be more entry level. I'm a big believer that you should get the best motherboard you can afford as it's the foundation of your whole rig and will determine how far you can take your rig. Plus its the hardest by far to replace so you're gonna be stuck with it longer. Asus is my brand of choice so one of their ATX 900 series boards would be what I suggest.

You're only going to be hurting yourself not going for at least a 970. There is no good Matx amd mobos out currently. Its not worth saving a few bucks for a board never made BD. makes no sense to go Matx if you do not want a ssf case as well. To be honest a 1090t would be more of a upgrade then that fx 6000. At least get a 8120.

If you have a Micro Center nearby you should go with the 8120 and a decent 990 board. They have a good bundle deal going on now.

If you have a Micro Center nearby you should go with the 8120 and a decent 990 board. They have a good bundle deal going on now.

This or if you really want a microATX and to save a few bucks. Consider an MSI a75 FM1 + llano build. you never said what your intended use was for this PC, but i get the impression its just general computing since Micro Atx isnt generally good for overclocking / high end gaming builds.

hmmms

if you want mirco atx then GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3L AM3+ would prolly be your best bet. its not 9XX chipset although. Seeing the 990fxa chipset is pretty just a rebrand of the 890fx then i wouldn't worry to much about using the latest chipset.

otherwise for a few dollars more you can go full atx

and i would suggest GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+.

Overall though it really depends on what your going to use the computer for. With the cheaper option it has integrated video, which can do everything besides gaming really. While the full size board offers better cooling/overclocking, 9XX chipset, and more expand-ability

if you don't plan on overclocking then
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ is a bit cheaper, and has all the features of the ud3 board, minus the cooling and extra power phases.

if you didn't notice i prefer gigabyte boards. However Asus is also another great maker of motherboards which i can recommend as well.

Back