Build now vs. closer to May?

Bloodsent

n00b
I think my Gaming Computer might be getting a little long in the tooth. Here is what I have:

i7-920 o/c to 4.0Ghz
Corsair 3x2 (6GB) 1600 DDR3 (adding RAM risks losing the stability of my o/c)
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Sapphire 7950 Boost at 1150/1400 (Bought almost two years ago as sole upgrade to system)
Corsair 650TX 650W PSU
Samsung Spinpoint F3 - 500GB

I currently only play at 1080p on a 144hz BenQ, but considering moving to 1440p. This computer has been great, especially the i7-920. It has lasted me a hell of a lot longer than I thought it would.

When I considered a new computer two years ago, the video card seemed sufficient. I am starting to think about new games though, particularly Witcher 3 in May. This time around I am thinking a whole new box, so I can leave this box as is for the kids.

Question I have is, are there benefits to waiting until May to pick up all the parts for a new PC, or should I not expect any major shifts that would drive my purchasing decisions in the next 5 months and buy now? I am budgeting somewhere between $1500-1700.

Thanks!

Wait until May, after Witcher 3 is released. By then you'll know what you need for excellent frame rates.

Then again, if you were to find a used 7950 and go CrossFire (you may also need a new PSU to handle the load), you may be able to prolong the life of your current system a little longer. The key word is "may" as I don't know whether or not Witcher 3 will be more graphically intensive than Witcher 2.

Waiting is the only way to go here. Witcher 3 is a big deal to you, wait for a better idea of what you'll need. Additionally Broadwell-K should be out around then and whatever Nvidia and AMD decide to release by then.

Monday May 25th
Memorial day
All kinds of online deals
Is May, Witcher 3, WIN

BONUS: TAX RETURNS

???PROFIT???

I would agree with the rest and say wait. The correct answer is always to wait, unless there is a price mistake and you can get something for a dramatically reduced price.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Confirmation on waiting was a big part of it, with the other being uncertainty about what was coming up before then that I could miss out on if I pulled the trigger. Appreciate the guidance.

Definitely wait, you and we will have a better idea what Witcher 3 really needs, and, most importantly, newer hardware may be available then.

Besides, it's not as if waiting for couple of months is going to drive up GPU prices

WOW, OP has almost same specs as mine, and I was wondering about upgrading myself (exactly how many times I have given myself this upgrade thought god knows!), but as I see waiting is the wise thing, for what though, Skylake maybe?

No, TW3 itself.

Skylake isn't coming out until well after TW3 is released, and new GPUs *may* be released by then to make a better judgement.

Skylake K processors won't even be here until 2016 apparently. Fuck waiting, tomorrow my 4790k arrives to retire my 2500k

2016? God, that's like next life! Why 4790k though, those Broadwell refreshes are here aren't they?

4790k IS a haswell refresh. And no, Broadwell hasn't been even released, let alone a refresh. All Broadwells released so far are all mobile CPU's

The only suggested immediate update is to replace the Samsung Spinpoint F3 - 500GB with a SSD drive. Most of the other stuff can be migrated to a newer box.

4790k IS a haswell refresh. And no, Broadwell hasn't been even released, let alone a refresh. All Broadwells released so far are all mobile CPU's

No gaurentee or even rumors that the 14nm process will help overclocking any with Broadwell on desktop SKU's. It's a power reduction and GPU increase change is its selling point aka. mobile devices

Last edited:
I have been considering replacing the HDD with an SSD, but if I do I might as well wipe and start fresh.

Is there even a good change that something more appropriate than the 4790K will be replaced before May? Not sure if I am reading the roadmaps correctly on that.

I have been considering replacing the HDD with an SSD, but if I do I might as well wipe and start fresh.

Is there even a good change that something more appropriate than the 4790K will be replaced before May? Not sure if I am reading the roadmaps correctly on that.

Going fresh with SSD's is best option for maximum speed and stability. Be sure to read this guys great guide on setting up SSD's proprely. You'll never use HDD's again.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds/490

Roadmaps are ALWAYS subject to change, Intel has done that many times.

As it stands, Broadwell NON K desktop CPU's will be announced/launching around the time along with new mobo's and chipsets, so the demand is gonna be high and thus, the pricing is gonna go up too, like it always does with new tech.

Back