Build now, or wait until next year?

Cypher-

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to decide if I should put together a new gaming rig now or wait. It seems like there is a bunch of new technology coming such as DX11, pci express 3.0, usb 3.0, sata 6gb/s, etc. Should I just wait until these technology's become more mainstream to build my new rig?

well if you wait and want to get those technology's, you'll need $$$, and if thats not an issue, then wait

As enginurd would say, wait as long as you can, and buy/build when you can't wait any longer.

You should build your system based on your immediate needs, not in anticipation for the latest game/software or the newest technology coming over the horizon. In most cases, you can add the new technology later, after they've arrived and been established as "must-have."

indeed. tech changes so fast and prices are getting lower and lower overall. you'll be waiting forever if you keep waiting for the latest new tech. imo, you get much better bang for your buck by spending for what you need now, and upgrading as needed. this isn't true for everyone, so its up to you to decide.

Waiting for new technologies: no, because you will pay the premium price for these hardwares (e.g.: price for 4x4gb memory).

Waiting for current price to drop: yes, because prices for DDR3 and SSD will drop in about 6 months.

Back