Build Me a HTPC

Revolution

n00b
Ok, I'm looking at getting a HTPC soon, so throw some specs at me!
Preferably with an E6300/E4300, and it needs to be able to record live TV, and all the other basic HTPC things. A big hard drive is also a must.

Keep the price under $1250 australian dollars if possible.

how about you post up a list of potential parts that you actually thought about yourself first...and then ask us to help/critique it and get you on the right track?

Well, like I said I'd prefer an E6300/4300, and I have no idea about what I should be looking for in terms of sound cards, as it'll be connected to a fairly powerful sound system.
I'd considered maybe a 7300GT/7600GS as a video card, but I'm not sure whether I'd need a HDCP-compliant card or not. I'll be outputting via VGA to an LCD.
Casewise I like the look of the Antec NSK2400.
I'm not fussed over motherboards, just whichever mATX board does the best job for the money would be great.
I'd like a fair bit of hard disk space, at least a 320gb.

Anything I left out?

EDIT: Actually, after looking around a bit I really like the Antec Fusion as well.

Capture cards?
It needs to be some sort of DVB card which I can't really help much with since the US doesn't use DVB so I've never had any reason to research them throughly.

Asus makes a decent MATX C2D mobo (P5B-VM) and Abit (F-I90HD) seems to have a good board in the works if they can work out all of the bugs. The "P5L" Asus mobos are okay as well, honestly there isn't exactly a lot of decent MATX C2D mobos out there.

AMD (ATI)'s new 690G chipset is slowly coming out, it looks like it's going to be decent for HTPC use and their RV630 (I think thats the one) based video cards look like they're going to be great for HTPC usage.

Since you're going VGA out you don't really need an HDCP equipped video card; only if you're going to upgrade to a digital moniter is when you'll need one.

The Antec cases mentioned are pretty good, the NSK2400 is an awesome budget case.

If you need a video card now then a 7300GS is what I would get; it would be best to just wait a month for NV's 8300, 8500 and 8600 series cards to come out (and ATI's if they ever get off their ass and release their the RV630 at the same time as R600). Personally, everything I've read points to the RV630 as being an incredible HTPC card; thats one I'm going to wait for to upgrade.

Ahh cool, thanks for the input. I'll have a closer look at that RV630, it sounds good!
I've read a few reviews on the NSK2400 and the Fusion, and I really like the look of those, so I will probably get one.

Can anyone recommend me a decent sound card?
Or should I just stick to the integrated sound?

Depending on your sound system, it may be advantageous to use a digital output, and let your receiver (which usually has better D/A converters than sound cards) do the decoding. This enables you to use a cheaper (or integrated) sound card as the card itself does not have to do any processing.

Ahh cool, thanks for the input. I'll have a closer look at that RV630, it sounds good!
More on RV360 (and R600) and why it sounds great for an HTPC:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/03/16/r600_family_has_independent_video_processor/
http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1415&Itemid=1

I've read a few reviews on the NSK2400 and the Fusion, and I really like the look of those, so I will probably get one.
Having both cases I find it hard to resist the charms of the Fusion but if you don't "need" (the VFD/LCD in the new models and the higher wattage PSU aren't exactly needed for an HTPC, they don't really add much) the extras that the Fusion offers then go with the NSK2400. You won't be disappointed with the NSK and, for me, I'm not disappointed with the Fusion either despite the unneeded extras.

Can anyone recommend me a decent sound card?
Or should I just stick to the integrated sound?
Yup, if you have a receiver then it would be better just to use the digital out on the mobo to the receiver. But if you do need a sound card then, well, this is the one I'm waiting to hear more about: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/03/16/sounds_of_asus_heard_in_hannover/

So far it sounds rather exciting in an HTPC.

Back