[Build Log] water-cooled build: "Most Unoriginal 800D"

rent.a.john

Limp Gawd
So I built my previous rig about 5 months ago during the summer, P6X58D in an Antec 1200, this was upgrading from a midtower and a micro atx, the difference was absurd. However looking at all the watercooled setups and the awesomeness that is 800D, I couldn't resist any longer, and finally decided to give in and build a WC system.

I know the 800D has been real popular around here, so nothing in this log will be "new" or mind-blowing, however I thought it would be nice to document my first attempt at water cooling and perhaps give some other people who might be wavering on whether to WC or not the inspiration to take the leap.

Couldn't have done this without the help from the forum, all the guides and all the logs of everyone else.

THE MOST UNORIGINAL 800D

As I had trouble finding the cord for my camera, I have been documenting the log without actually posting, I felt a thread without pictures would be worthless and decided to wait until I have some up.

But since I've found my camera here it goes! My first attempt at liquid cooling!

Last edited:
DSC01327.jpg

Few of the parts scattered on my floor. What is neatness?! Rig will have my current I7-930, R3E, 6GB of OCZ ram, crossfire 5870s, and xspc Rads + Rasa.

DSC01328.jpg

Such a nice case, one of the reason I decided to WC.

DSC01329.jpg

Stripped off all the loose parts, readying for mod!

DSC01331.jpg

First rivet took like 5 minutes, I wasn't too sure how hard to press -_-

DSC01332.jpg

Next 3 took 5 minutes combined.

DSC01334.jpg

The HDD bay was SO annoying to remove! took a dremel and slowly grind it down, and then poked it through with a screwdriver.

DSC01335.jpg

Measuring out the bottom to fit a radiator, again I just want to thank everyone else who posted videos/guides on how to do this

DSC01336.jpg

Now the "hard" part

DSC01350.jpg

I did not know what to expect, I've never handled a dremel before and had no idea what it would be like cutting into metal. It was not easy, but I took my time and I think the cuts are pretty good right here!

DSC01351.jpg

TADA!

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01352.jpg

Put on some U-Channel since the side with the little vent hole was really pointy and I didn't want it scratching anything on the inside, and here its shown with the Bitspower rad grill.

AHHHHHHHH More pics! I hope they aren't too big :X

DSC01347.jpg

My P6X58D-Premium compared to the Rampage III extreme, moving from a micro-atx to the P6X58D, I thought the motherboard was huge, the R3E is even bigger! (p.s. looking to sell the board + H50 :p)

DSC01349.jpg

Block installed!

DSC01338.jpg

Naked 5870 EEEK!

DSC01340.jpg

DSC01354.jpg

Heres a look with the motherboard installed in the case plus the reservoir and some white NZXT fans replacing the stock 140mm ones.

Alright ran some tubes, not the route I originally planned, but I guess it works okay. A little iffy on the pump placement, and I ran out of 90 degree compression fittings to continue. Just ordered some, tried to work out possible other ways of looping but ultimately I think i need 90 for the bottom rad.

DSC01355.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

Finally fixed it up a bit and decided to go with something more like this, however still need to wait on my fittings to arrive -_-.

DSC01358.jpg

You may label it as unoriginal but I still can't wait to see where it goes. I'm not a huge fan of the 800D but a cleanly executed mod will be equally impressive in any case and you're off to a good start.

My second EK block for my other 5870 should arrive tomorrow, and the 90 degree fittings the day after, can't wait to have this baby up and running.

Alright an update, almost done with everything!

DSC01359.jpg

Some fractal 60mm fans to replace the stock corsair airflow fan. Much much much better noise level and white to match. Too bad you can only buy this from Europe (?)

DSC01360.jpg

Here's me crimping and sleeving for the first time, FUN! The quality of the mdpc's sleeves are noticeably better than the NZXT pre-sleeved wires. Maybe one of these days I'll sleeve everything myself.

DSC01367.jpg

Here's a quick shot of what it looks like right now, the loop itself is done. Gonna straighten everything a bit more, and have started working on wiring.

Also, didn't realize my 2nd gpu block was different material until i got it. fml

I'm not sure I would have even noticed right away, would have looked a lot nicer had they both ended up being the grey/nickel plated version. Are you able to return it? I know I'd probably be willing to take a re-stocking fee hit if it meant straightening it out.

Back