::BUILD LOG:: sNiPeRbOb's Boom-Box (Stereo Receiver to PC)

sniperbob151

Limp Gawd
sNiPeRbOb's Boom-Box

Well, I have been searching for quite some time for a mATX desktop case that wasn't too big, but would actually fit the hardware I had to put in it. Seeing as I'm a poor college student (those three words go together all too well...) I also wanted to find something that wasn't going to break the bank. After sitting around my house this afternoon, the Idea hit me.

KLH Stereo Receiver
dd34_1.JPG

(image ripped from ebay)

I bought a KLH 2-channel stereo receiver from Best Buy when I was 16, and then a year after, It died on me (blown resistors, damaged PCB). It sat under my bed for a couple of years. Today, it began its new life as something much more powerful.

I stripped down the case, starting with removing the cover, then the internals
P2140123.jpg

My brother helping strip the case
P2140130.jpg

The front panel PCB. I will be soldering the power and reset headers to the two left-most switches on the PCB, maintaining the stock appearance.
P2140135.jpg

There was also a seperate board for Balance, Bass, and Treble control. Not sure if it is possible, due to the variance in circuit types, but would it be cool to make it a fan controller!
P2140142.jpg

P2140143.jpg

Front Panel Stripped of buttons and LCD quartz display cover. The front will be all bondo'd smooth with only two switches and two LED holes present. It would also be neat to figure out how to wire up the display to run system temps etc. Any ideas/suggestions?
P2140148.jpg

Test fitting a spare mATX board
P2140145.jpg

This is the panel that a Motherboard backplate will be modded onto
P2140146.jpg

Backplate:
P2140149.jpg

The backplate I have has 7 expansion slots, but I only need four. We will be sectioning the panel to shorten its length. Plan of attack:
P2140150.jpg

P2140151.jpg

Feedback/Comments/Ideas Welcome!
Should have the backplate cut in tommorow as well as the power supply hole.

Impressive... over half the original content of that receiver is/was a PSU and the I/O PCB :D

Good luck with the project!

Impressive... over half the original content of that receiver is/was a PSU and the I/O PCB :D

Good luck with the project!

I think my favorite part of the original stereo has to be the GIGANTIC aluminum heatsink. Thanks for the kind words

This is fantastic Bob, I have to come over and see it.

My recommendation, utilize the LED screen are and drill a couple of holes to put in maybe a fan controller?

i was actually thinking of getting a similar sized mini LCD display and modding it in the opening to display things like system temp etc

getting there!

The shop where the MAGIC HAPPENS! haha

P2150124.jpg

IO/Expansion slot plate cut down

P2150121.jpg

P2150122.jpg

P2150123.jpg

But how are you going to put it all together?

Answer:
P2150130.jpg

P2150131.jpg

P2150132.jpg

P2150134.jpg

Well that's all fine, but where will the 5.25 drive go?

Answer:
P2150120_01.jpg

And how did We cut the space for the PSU and IO plate?

P2150135.jpg

P2150137.jpg

Some more shots just because I know you all like pictures better than words. The hardware is all temporary, and Case will be painted up within the week!

P2150122_01.jpg

P2150124_01.jpg

P2150125_01.jpg

P2150127_01.jpg

P2150130_01.jpg

and... SHE POSTS and boots XP pro!

P2150132_01.jpg

Soldered the Power and HDD leads to the front PCB

P2150137_01.jpg

P2150139.jpg

Those open slots in the bottom portion of the front panel offer you a great oppertunity to add some kind of an LED display. Maybe red moving lights like on KITT. :cool:

funny i should stumble upon this build while just browsing around...i happen to be building a pc out of an old stereo right now as well. it's an old school Pioneer unit that i took from my dad when i updated his stereo. i actually started on it about 3-4 years ago but it got put aside...now i just recently found it again and decided it's time to finally finish. lol.

anyway, yours looks like it's coming along nicely. i like how you shortened that mobo backplate and incorporated it into the back panel. :cool:

project Boom-Box is closer and closer to finish. Hardware is installed, for the most part, just working out some small fitment bugs and should be completely up and running and an independent machine in a couple of days! pics to follow soon

Back