Build Log – Corsair Obsidian 800D Liquid Cooled Dual Loop System

Mr_Armageddon

Limp Gawd
(Upate - 02/17/2012)
Making some big changes to my build since I have to RMA my Motherboard. Too many changes and case mods to try and modify the existing thread, so started a new one:

Project Bright Panel: 800D, Liquid Cooled, Illuminated Mid Panel

(Upated 12/20/2010)
Here is the build log for my system. It isn't exactly a "new" build as I have been working on it for over a year. But I recently obtained the final components to complete the build as I originally intended.

(Upated 09/19/2011)
Added some "official" 3dMark 11 and Vantage scores. See post #110 for more test scores and details.

3dMark 11 (Performance): P12720
http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1853612

3dMark Vantage (Performance): P44179
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/3488671

It will be a liquid cooled PC with two loops. One for the CPU & Chipset, and one for the GPUs. Housing the new build is the Corsair Obsidian 800D. This case is a monster, and I love the all black look, inside and out. I had to make a few minor modifications for the two loop system to work, but the mod went great, and I am pleased with the results.

Parts List:
* Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D Full ATX
* Power Supply: Corsair HX1000
* Motherbord: EVGA X58 Classified
* CPU: Intel i7 Core 970
* RAM: 12GB Corsair Dominator @ 1600MHz
* GPU: 1 EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2
* GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2
* GPU: 3 EVGA 9800GT (Dedicated PhysX, and to power side LCD monitors)
* Sound Card: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Edition
* Hard Drive 1: Intel X-25m 160GB SSD (Operating System & Programs)
* Hard Drive 2: WD Velociraptor 150GB HDD (Game/Steam Installs)
* Hard Drive 3: Seagate 500GB (User Files)
* Hard Drive 4: Seagate 1TB (Storage)
* Optical Drive: Asus Blu-Ray / DVD+R
* Fan Controller: Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25" 6 Channel Fan Controller / Temp Display
* Card Reader: Silverstone FP35 housed in Lian Li 5.25” to 3.5” bay adapter

Loop 01 (Blue)
* Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Blue Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)
* Coolant: Feser One UV Blue
* Reservoir: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir (originally was a XSPC 5.25" Black Single Bay Res)
* Pump: Swiftech MCP350 12 VDC Pump
* Radiator: HardWare Labs X-Flow Extreme III
* CPU Block: Swiftech APOGEE-XT Extreme (originally was a Swiftech GTZ as seen in a few pictures)
* MoBo Block: EK-EVGA X58 Classified Full Board Waterblock
* Fittings: Bitspower Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x2)
* Fittings: Bitspower Barb Fitting-ID 3/8" (x2)
* Fittings: Bitspower G1/4 Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x4)
* Misc Parts: Bitspower Metal T-Block, Bitspower Temp Sensor, Bitspower Male to Male G 1/4 Fitting
* Koolance QDCs (Quick Disconnects) (x2)
* Fans: Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP (x3)

Loop 02 (Green)
* Tubing: PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Green Tubing -3/8in. ID X 5/8in. OD (10ft)
* Coolant: Feser One UV Green
* Reservoir: XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir (originally was a XSPC 5.25" Black Single Bay Res)
* Pump: Swiftech MCP350 12 VDC Pump
* Radiator: HardWare Labs GTX240
* GPU Block: The EVGA GTX 580 Hydro Coppers come with a custom Swiftech WB pre-installed
* Fittings: Bitspower Matte Black Rotary 90 Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x2)
* Fittings: Bitspower Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x4)
* Fittings: Bitspower Barb Fitting-ID 3/8" (x2)
* Fittings: Bitspower G1/4 Dual Rotary 45-Degree Compression Fitting-ID 3/8" OD 5/8" (x2)
* Misc Parts: Bitspower Acrylic T-Block, Bitspower Temp Sensor, Bitspower Male to Male G 1/4 Fitting
* Koolance QDCs (Quick Disconnects) (x2)
* Fans: Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP (x2)

I will post the pictures within the build log, but will also add a link to a larger version of each picture if anyone would like to take a closer look at something.

The case arrived in excellent condition. I knew the dimensions, but was still amazed as to how big it was.

3960101889_f0ec90468d.jpg

Build_01

In order to make it work for my dual loop idea, I had to modify the bottom of the case to accept a radiator. For a more detailed work log on adding a bottom radiator, go here:
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81698
In order to remove the bottom hard drive cage you must remove a total of 2 screws and 8 rivets. Two of the rivets must be replaced once the drive cage has been removed.

3960101961_9bcb0bc337.jpg

Build_02

3960891202_b798fc3a62.jpg

Build_03

3960105505_e3c5bf792d.jpg

Build_04

Before adding the power supply, I applied some weather stripping material to the rails that will hold up the PSU to give a bit of cushion. I also used Vinyl Dye to make all the PSU cables jet black. I was planning on individually rel-sleeving all of the cables but decided against it after I tried on a test cable and realized how much of a pain in the ***** it was. I also didn’t want the added bulk of the individual sleeves. Vinyl Dye is not paint. It gets absorbed into the cable sleeve and turns everything black. Looks great and is really easy to apply.

3960105637_82b21685fa.jpg

Build_05

Next step was to remove the stock cooling from the EVGA X58 Classified and install a full board block from EK. It’s a great match for the board, and temps on the VREGs and Chipset are MUCH lower than with stock cooling.

3960889420_cb93734ccf.jpg

Build_06

3960108991_59cca75686.jpg

Build_07

I decided to go with the Swiftech APOGEE XT for my CPU block. I didn’t like the shiny chrome look of the mounting brackets so I spray painted them black to better match the rest of the components.

5270804036_1fd47a083f_z.jpg

Just to get an idea of what it looks like, I threw in the 12GB of Dominator RAM along with the Corsair RAM Cooler.

3960112279_55df1b907d.jpg

Build_09

3960885004_00aac519ac.jpg

Build_10

Now on the the rest of the liquid cooling loops.

Last edited:
I really want to follow this build but.... it'll be WAY to expensive to me if I do so I'm gonna have to not watch :( very nice so far

Awesome build. I assume you are just reusing drives, but this build screams for a couple of SSD's Raided for your OS. Just saying...

Awesome build. I assume you are just reusing drives, but this build screams for a couple of SSD's Raided for your OS. Just saying...

I would love to run two SSDs in RAID0, but I kind of maxed out my budget for this build and will have to stick with my previous 150GB Velociraptors in RAID0 for the time being.

I also told my wife I wouldn't spend anymore $$ on "Computer Sutff" until the new Nvidia GT300series cards are released in a few months.

I also told my wife I wouldn't spend anymore $$ on "Computer Sutff" until the new Nvidia GT300series cards are released in a few months.

Thats what we all say...then something sparkly comes along and we conviently "forget" we said that..... :D

Your build has given me some ideas about rebuilding my system from scratch again. Been wanting to go water with the ATCS 840 and do two loops with a dual 240 rad sandwich and another 360 on top...but the Corsair 800D looks real sexy too :)

So far so good. I think you should of saved some money by getting cheaper RAM and an SSD ... would've been a more noticeable performance gain by far.

But this build is just going to be sick when you get done with it. Looks awesome.

So far so good. I think you should of saved some money by getting cheaper RAM and an SSD ... would've been a more noticeable performance gain by far.

But this build is just going to be sick when you get done with it. Looks awesome.

I got the RAM during a really good sale at NewEgg ($115 fro 6GB of Low Latency RAM ($230 total for 12GB), so no, that wouldn't of helped. Plus I would need two SSDs of at least 128GB and the least expensive one is $290 ($580 total for RAID0). I think the RAM was a good choice.

You're just butt-hurt because you went with OCZ instead of Corsair :p

I got the RAM during a really good sale at NewEgg ($115 fro 6GB of Low Latency RAM ($230 total for 12GB), so no, that wouldn't of helped. Plus I would need two SSDs of at least 128GB and the least expensive one is $290 ($580 total for RAID0). I think the RAM was a good choice.

You're just butt-hurt because you went with OCZ instead of Corsair :p

Well, looky here... we have a real Corsair fanboy now. :D

$115 isn't bad against other triple channel kits right now. Even the crappy ones are currently etailing above $80. I thought DDR3 was trending down, but it sure hasn't been lately.

Seriously though, I can't wait for SSD's to drop some more. Right now it's the single biggest non-graphics performance booster money can buy. I'm happy as crap with my RAID 0 setup, and I certainly like having 1.2TB instead of a measly 128GB for 5 times the cost....

In time we will all have our affordable SSDs.

I have dyed all the fan cables/extensions along with the other PSU connections that were not already black.
Here you can see the tape job covering all the connectors, in preparation for the vinyl dye. The pump is also wrapped up there on the right.
3973735200_3828c2f2ae.jpg

Click to View Larger Image

Here are all the fan extensions that plug into the fan controller, dyed jet black.
3972970049_2910bb3d0b.jpg

These are the Swiftech MCP350 pumps that I will be using for the two loops. At first I mounted them in the bottom of the hard drive cage. Later on I installed them in the XPCS Dual Bay Res. Pictures of that to follow.
5269889074_039cb8bcec.jpg

Here is what the CPU/Chipset loop will look like. I haven't mounted the top radiator yet, but you get the idea. You can see the two pumps sitting side by side behind the fan controller. Next bay up is the card reader. The two Reservoirs, and the Optical Drive.
3973736354_ba6de192dc.jpg

Here is a pic of the front with all the bays installed.
3972969653_4522c07e2d.jpg

Side shot with one loop partially installed, and all the PCIe / PCI slots filled with what I have. (1) Creative X-Fi Titanuim Fatal1ty Edition, (2) EVGA 8800 Ultra, (3) EVGA 9800GT (PhysX), (4) Wireless N Card.
3973780506_053a9b47dc_o.jpg

*Side Note.... that sag you see in the seperator between the PSU chamber and Motherboard area has been fixed buy using a wodden dowl, spray-painted black. It will be visible in future pictures.

Last edited:
First thought: what a tiny mainboard. Second thought: what a big case :eek:

Looking nice :)

I have hit a snag. Today while taking lunch I rushed home to install the top 360 radiator. I am using a Black Ice X-Flow III. I attached the fans and got the radiator in place, only to realize that when mounted inside the 800D, X-Flow rads render the top 5.25in bay inoperable. :confused:

The barb sticking down from the rad will not allow you to use an optical drive in the top bay. There just isn't enough room to do it. I am currently using all 5 bays, so removing something and moving all the bays down 1 spot isn't an option.

I hope I can swap some bays around to make enough room to get it to work. If not, I may have to buy a new radiator that has both barbs on the same side of the rad. As soon as I get home from work I will get back to trying to find a solution.

Last edited:
ah yeah. might work if you move the card reader. i ended up cutting the huge heatsinks on my rheobus if that helps you.

I have hit a snag. Today while taking lunch I rushed home to install the top 360 radiator. I am using a Black Ice X-Flow III. I attached the fans and got the radiator in place, only to realize that when mounted inside the 800D, X-Flow rads render the top 5.25in bay inoperable. :confused:

The barb sticking down from the rad will not allow you to use an optical drive in the top bay. There just isn't enough room to do it. I am currently using all 5 bays, so removing something and moving all the bays down 1 spot isn't an option.

I hope I can swap some bays around to make enough room to get it to work. If not, I may have to buy a new radiator that has both barbs on the same side of the rad. As soon as I get home from work I will get back to trying to find a solution.

Can you put the fan controller on the top bay and mount the pumps elsewhere?

Can you put the fan controller on the top bay and mount the pumps elsewhere?

I am going to try and swap the optical drive and the card reader. Hopefully that will give me enough room to work with.

I really don't want to relocate the pumps if I can avoid it. I like having them hidden where they are.

Dude that sucks... I have the same problem with my XSPC 360 radiator in my ATCS 840 build. Having not seen your setup, have you tried some of the rotary fittings, or splice some fittings together so that you could make room for your optical drive?

I am going to try and swap the optical drive and the card reader. Hopefully that will give me enough room to work with.
I really don't want to relocate the pumps if I can avoid it. I like having them hidden where they are.

Yeah, I hear ya. I know what you were planning from the get-go. Let me know if you figure it out... I hope you don't have to buy a new rad. How thick is that radiator, by the way?

Dude that sucks... I have the same problem with my XSPC 360 radiator in my ATCS 840 build. Having not seen your setup, have you tried some of the rotary fittings, or splice some fittings together so that you could make room for your optical drive?

How long is your burner that you wanted in your top bay? I haven't mounted a radiator in the top of my 840 yet, but I was planning on the thinner version of Armageddon's X-Flow. It will give me the loop layout I eventually want to have. Since we have six 5.25 bays instead of the 800D's meager five, I can easily put the card reader in the top spot, which is more handy anyways.

Originally I had planned to have my Optical Drive in the top bay of the case. But I ran into the issue with the barb from the radiator sticking out into the top 5.25in bay. I thought I had planed so meticulously, and this kind of mistake really pissed me off. Luckily, the fix wasn't too bad, and ended up only being a minor delay. I was able to move the card reader from the 4th bay down, up to the top bay, and put the optical drive in its place. Problem solved.
Here you can see where the barb was in the way and how far it made the optical drive stick out. No bueno.
3977128950_1c4933243e.jpg

Here is the fix by switching the card reader with the optical drive.
3976361891_48b3afee78.jpg

Here is a shot of the tubing I used for this build. PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Tubing -3/8in. ID
3977123610_e59e677288.jpg

Here is the guy that was giving me all the problems. The X-Flow design means that there is one port on each side of the radiator. That way you don't have to run tubing across the PC case. I though it would make for an easier install, but that proved not to be true because of the barb issue.
The fans are Cooler Master R4 120mm Blue LED Fan R4-L2R-20AC-GP. They push a lot of air, but can be a bit loud when maxed out. With the fan controller I have them at about 1,000RPM, and they are whisper quiet and still move plenty of air through the radiator. They do have blue LEDs but they are not very bright and give a soft blue glow to the inside of the case. I used 6-32 x 3/8" Socket Cap Head Screws to secure the fans to the radiator, and the radiator to the case.
3976361077_66ec648aec.jpg

These are the fan extensions cables that plug into the Scynth Kaze Server Fan Controller. I used vinyl dye to get them jet black. You can see them plugged in along with some of the temperature monitor cables.
3977129982_19120d30df.jpg

For my liquid I went with Feser One non-conductive fluid. UV blue and UV green to match the colors of the tubing.
5270807466_9475c3bbc6.jpg

I ending up not using these Reservoirs, and will include pictures of the new one in a future post. For now, check out the Feser One liquids lookin' pretty with LED backlighting.
3976362271_c517aefc0f_z.jpg

That's all for now. Still waiting on my Intel i7-970 to get in, should be here Monday. I am going to show pictures of the new Reservoir along with the rest of the updates in various posts over the next few days. I welcome community feedback, so let me know what you think so far. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Ok. So while I am waiting for my i7-970 to arrive I will go ahead and install my EVGA GTX580 Hydro Coppers, and put together my loops. The Hydro Coppers are really nice looking cards, and the waterblock, custom made by Swiftech, look like a much better design that the 480 model. I am glad that the block covers the full PCB. Very good looking card.
5270196111_5d994d60c7_z.jpg

It comes with the 580 backplate which just adds to the awesome look of this card.
5270804624_29fa88f917_z.jpg

Here is a shot of the Bitspower fittings I will be using with the Hydro Coppers. Went with the matte black compression fittings.
5270805190_f98857030a_z.jpg

Ok here we have the 3 GPUs installed. I don't have my i7-970 yet so until then I will be running with my i7-920, which is currently installed beneath the Swiftech Apogee XT in the picture below. I really like the look that these cards bring to the build.
5270197469_bb390a9968_z.jpg

And here is a shot with all the tubing and my Koolance QDC (Quick Disconnects) installed. I don't have any fluid in the loops yet as I broke an o-ring on one of my QDCs. Gonna have to run to the hardware store tomorrow to get it replaced. The QDCs make draining and cleaning the loops really easy, and i like the way they look all bunched together like this. Reminds me of the bullet chambers on a revolver pistol.
5270806570_84cccddd2c_z.jpg

Ok, now for some pics of various components that I have also just installed. Here we have my Intel X-25m 160GB SSD. Using it for my OS and Program drive. This little guy has provided the most noticeable difference in overall use/speed compared to any other hardware upgrade I have had over the past year or so. Everything is so snappy with this guy installed.
5272330727_3389a6c942_z.jpg

Here is the EVGA USB 3.0 PCIe card. Works great with my Seagate GoFlex drives that support USB 3. It would be nice to have a USB 3.0 on the front of my case, but as I don't use it that often, I am happy with this simple upgrade.
4977717484_53297fa933_z.jpg

These are the little heat sinks I purchased to place on some of the hot spots on the MoBo. Not a necessity by any means, but they look good.
4977717042_ca1a295fca.jpg

Placement of the heat sinks near the RAM slots
4977107075_c0078a1e03_z.jpg

Placement of the heats sinks near the CPU socket
4977107641_fb87e826bf_z.jpg

Here is the bottom of the XSPC Acrylic Dual 5.25in. Reservoir. I was going to use one XSPC Single Bay Res for each loop, but in the end I decided to go with the Dual Bay one instead. In addition to keeping things more simple by combining everything into one unit, it also reduced the noise of the pumps to almost nothing.
4977718566_4daf989a28_z.jpg

I did have to do a bit of modding to get this to fit into the 800D, but it was very simple. Just used a rotary tool to make the slots on the side of the res a bit deeper. Now the rails/fins inside the 5.25" bay slide in just fine.
4977106587_de20e025c7_z.jpg

I ended up going with a new Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25" Fan Controller because my previous one (Scythe Kaze Server) kept dying on me. I think I was over loading the 4 channels, because it would often be very hot to the touch. This new one has six channels, so I don't have to double up any fans. Each rad fan has its own channel, and the extra one is used for the RAM fan which can be loud at full speed. Very happy with this fan controller thus far.
4977718020_9f87c9ac84_z.jpg

Here is one of the four (4) Koolance QDCs (Quick Disconnects) I am now using in my loops. Two (2) on each loop makes for very easy draining, cleaning/flushing, and refilling. I think they look pretty good as well. These particular ones (Male fitting, Female fitting) are Hi-flow, and I haven't noticed any rise in temps, so they seem to be doing their job.
4977106439_b54da4d6bf.jpg

Case Shots! This is the front of the case with the XSPC Dual Reservoir installed. Really like the look of the split bays. The pumps are nice and quiet while installed in the Res as well. Before the when the pumps were just sitting inside the case, they were the only audible part of my system. But now, even they are near silent.
4906963070_ff14c38c80_z.jpg

Here is a shot of where I placed the cathode tube on the side panel. You can't see them when the panel is on, and they do a good job of making the tubing glow.
4296060593_6e561c0448_z.jpg

Here it is, in all it's glory. The guts of Turambar. Here is the order of the items I have in the PCI slots:

* Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Edition
* EVGA GTX580 Hydro Copper 2
* EVGA 9800GT (dedicated PhysX card)
* D-Link Wireless N Card
* EVGA GTX580 Hydro Copper 2
* EVGA USB 3.0 Card
5272339303_2a4e8689be_z.jpg

With side panel on, and UV cathodes active.
5272945986_4eb3f89d28_z.jpg

Cathodes off, natural light/camera flash showing off the tubing color. I really like the color combo going here. I would have also have been happy with all blue tubing, but I decided that since I have two separate loops, I would make the different colors.
5272336747_e005215b8f_z.jpg

Here is a shot of the build located in my home office / man cave. As an attempt to keep things from getting too cluttered, I located the case to the far left of my workspace and am using 15ft DVI cables and USB extensions to hook up my LCD monitors, keyboard, mouse, etc.
5272332823_e597a4ff0c_b.jpg

The system is near silent, and was really fun to build. I will be putting it through the ropes in a few days, and will post all my final temps and benchmarks as soon as I am done. Big thanks to my wife for letting me buy all this stuff, and to my kiddos for "helping Daddy" with this build. Thanks for looking.

Update: Head over to post #106 for Temps and Benchmark scores.

Last edited:
How have you liked those compression fittings?

All in all, it looks great. I'm glad you finally have it together and running. I am anxious to see your load temps. Awesome job so far! :D

Edit: I'm still on the fence about the front panel look. I can't decide whether I like the convenience of having the drives and fan controller exposed, or the sleekness and simplicity of a nice panel/flap covering it up, a la Lian Li style. I've had both, and both had advantages and disadvantages. My 840 is like the 800D in that everything is right there, handy and exposed. Honestly it looks more normal in person than in photos, I think, because the lighted parts and white lettering stand out more in a photo than they do in person. And it's nice to be able to adjust fan speeds whenever you need to.

Do you have all your temperature sensors hooked up to that fan controller? If so, how is automatic fan adjustment working?

Do you have all your temperature sensors hooked up to that fan controller? If so, how is automatic fan adjustment working?

I am only using 2 temps sensors, and both are inline on the loops right before entering the reservoirs. So far I am using manual controls, but I do plan on setting it up to increase fan speeds when the temps rise. But until I figure out the temp range I will stick with manual control.

And I really like the BitsPower Compression fittings. Although I wouldn't recommend using them with tubing that has a thinner outer wall than what I used.

Wow dude, thats incredible, I love it.
The case is huge, but lovely.

I am so lame. I just bought my 840, and it's great, but today I ordered one of these as well. How could I pass up $237 shipped???

... my wife is gonna kill me!

Good lord, nice work. I can't imagine that anyone into watercooling would seriously want to consider any other case.

Good lord, nice work. I can't imagine that anyone into watercooling would seriously want to consider any other case.

Even so, he still had to make cuts to accommodate a respectable second loop. Corsair should take note, and I know he's not the only one that's going to have to do this. I will do this mod (or something similar) as well when I get ready to WC my GPU. First I gotta finish buying parts for my CPU loop, and the bay reservoirs he used, which I also want for my build, have been OOS for a while. Grrr... I can't find anything I like the look/function of as much as those. They are what I've been planning on using all along.

Back