Build Log – Corsair Obsidian 800D Liquid Cooled Dual Loop System

I had a chance to Overclock everything and recorded some temps for those who were asking for them.

With a CPU OC @ 4.25GHz, my temps for loop 1 are as follows:

• CPU - 61 C
  • ChipSet - 62 C
  • VREGs - 54 C

These results were recorded after 30 minutes of a CPU burn with Prime95.

I was able to reduce these temps even lower, but it was by cranking up the fan speeds, which for me kind of defeats the purpose of a quiet, liquid cooled PC. The temps above were recorded with the Rad Fans @ 1,100 RPM which is barley noticeable. At 1,500 RPM the temps go down, but they are a bit loud loud for my taste.

On loop 2, my OC'd 8800Ultra @ 715MHz, 1250MHz RAM never got above 55 C during a stress test using both ATI Tool, and rthdribl. Obviously only having one card on the loop is making it pretty easy to stay cool. It will be interesting to see what temps the GPUs will maintain when I throw two GT300 series cards on it in SLI. Hurry up and release the new cards already Nvidia :D

I was able to reduce these temps even lower, but it was by cranking up the fan speeds, which for me kind of defeats the purpose of a quiet, liquid cooled PC. The temps above were recorded with the Rad Fans @ 1,100 RPM which is barley noticeable. At 1,500 RPM the temps go down, but they are a bit loud loud for my taste.

On loop 2, my OC'd 8800Ultra @ 715MHz, 1250MHz RAM never got above 55 C during a stress test using both ATI Tool, and rthdribl. Obviously only having one card on the loop is making it pretty easy to stay cool. It will be interesting to see what temps the GPUs will maintain when I throw two GT300 series cards on it in SLI. Hurry up and release the new cards already Nvidia :D

Very, very nice build - and great to have the results including fan speeds/noise. A very cool looking and clearly quiet build with lots of headroom. Nice work!

how much did you end up spending on this monster, if you dont mind me asking? i know a couple 300 series gpus will raise the cost a bit in the future, but im just wondering how you fared with that case and all that water cooling gear.

how much did you end up spending on this monster, if you dont mind me asking? i know a couple 300 series gpus will raise the cost a bit in the future, but im just wondering how you fared with that case and all that water cooling gear.

I kind of assembled the main PC components over a span of 6 months, with most of the liquid cooling gear, and the case being purchased within the last few weeks. I don't have an exact figure, but think its around $3K. My GPU has been grandfathered in and is over 2 years old, so when the new GT300 Series cards come out, and will probably have to shell out around $900 for two of them in SLI + Waterblocks.

I hope my wife doesn't read this post...

I kind of assembled the main PC components over a span of 6 months, with most of the liquid cooling gear, and the case being purchased within the last few weeks. I don't have an exact figure, but think its around $3K. My GPU has been grandfathered in and is over 2 years old, so when the new GT300 Series cards come out, and will probably have to shell out around $900 for two of them in SLI + Waterblocks.

I hope my wife doesn't read this post...

Too late. I already emailed a screenshot of it to her. :p

nice build, personally i would have used some Koolance manifolds to make the tubing look tidier on a rig that big. But good job anyway.

nice build, personally i would have used some Koolance manifolds to make the tubing look tidier on a rig that big. But good job anyway.

Those Manifolds look great, but I really don't see how they would clean my tubing up. The only pictures I have found of cases with them installed seemed to add tubing clutter, not reduce it, like the case shown below:

3857469341_f86dbe18f0_o.jpg

It still looks pretty cool, but again, lots of tubing. Maybe your rig shows a better utilization of the manifolds?

Those Manifolds look great, but I really don't see how they would clean my tubing up. The only pictures I have found of cases with them installed seemed to add tubing clutter, not reduce it, like the case shown below:

[IMG/snip]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/3857469341_f86dbe18f0_o.jpg[/IMG]

It still looks pretty cool, but again, lots of tubing. Maybe your rig shows a better utilization of the manifolds?

ive seen some european kid who did a really good tidy one with the manifolds to the side of the motherboard, i tried looking for the thread but cant find it.....

Not quite the one i was looking for, but here's another example of one arrangement i like
_MG_4586.jpg

Last edited:
ive seen some european kid who did a really good tidy one with the manifolds to the side of the motherboard, i tried looking for the thread but cant find it....

That does look pretty good, with everything on the same cooling loop. With me running two loops, I'm not sure it would help much. But, maybe someone that is more creative than me can figure out a way to make it work better for two cooling loops.

How was it working with the 800D, im looking into getting one and doing a very similar build.

How was it working with the 800D, im looking into getting one and doing a very similar build.

Best case I have ever owned. The large size of the case makes it much easier for guys that have large hands like I do. Plus the cable management is amazing.

I like the thought it took to put something like this together, very thought out. Well done Mr_Armageddon!

Nice setup. Looks very clean and practical along with the perfect amount of unique showyoffness(flashy would be an insult).

Hey,

I was just wondering where/how you would flush the system to add new fluid as a part of a maintenance routine?

Hey,

I was just wondering where/how you would flush the system to add new fluid as a part of a maintenance routine?

Right now I am just unhooking the CPU loop below the 120.3 radiator, and the GPU loop below the GFX card waterblock. I was going to add a T-Line for drainage, but decided against it as I didn't want additional tubing clutter.

I have drained the system once already for the initial cleaning and it was pretty easy. I just place/hold a large container under the points where I unhook the tubing and allow it to drain. If I had to do it often, I may reconsider a T-Line, but since I only have to do it once every 6 months max, I am fine with how it is currently set up.

Right now I am just unhooking the CPU loop below the 120.3 radiator, and the GPU loop below the GFX card waterblock. I was going to add a T-Line for drainage, but decided against it as I didn't want additional tubing clutter.

I have drained the system once already for the initial cleaning and it was pretty easy. I just place/hold a large container under the points where I unhook the tubing and allow it to drain. If I had to do it often, I may reconsider a T-Line, but since I only have to do it once every 6 months max, I am fine with how it is currently set up.

Am I really going to need to flush it once every six months? I was kinda hoping once a year would be enough ... and what's this "initial cleaning" business? I am still a watercooling newb, and I just want to do it right. After running it for a few days you have to ditch the brand new fluid because of stuff that's in your new components? I would think for the money you spend on that stuff that they would send it "clean." I mean you're spending $60 or more on a little metal radiator that probably costs them $10 to make. And margin has got to be huge on things like pumps, fittings, and reservoirs too. The least they could do is send the stuff already cleaned off....

Am I really going to need to flush it once every six months? I was kinda hoping once a year would be enough ... and what's this "initial cleaning" business? I am still a watercooling newb, and I just want to do it right. After running it for a few days you have to ditch the brand new fluid because of stuff that's in your new components? I would think for the money you spend on that stuff that they would send it "clean." I mean you're spending $60 or more on a little metal radiator that probably costs them $10 to make. And margin has got to be huge on things like pumps, fittings, and reservoirs too. The least they could do is send the stuff already cleaned off....

Some folks do the intial cleaning before installing, though it probably isnt a bad idea to do it after its all hooked up. What I have seen recomended is after getting your rads is to buy a cheap fish tank pump, put it in a pot of hot water and hook up tubes to your radiator. This will effectively flush it for you before you install it. There is apparently lots of little metal from the factory stuck inside.

If you were to do that with all your radiators beforehand you might be able to not have to flush it but once a year, but I will let others who have actually done it comment (and correct me if I am wrong)

My radiators had some fine metal shards inside, so I decided to run some cheap distilled water through both the loops before turning on the pumps and adding my PC Ice coolant.

If you use a good coolant with an anti-microbial agent, you could probably get away with only flushing your system once a year, but I still do it every 6 months just to be on the safe side.

If it is not too much trouble....could you mark one of your pictures of where you unhook the tubing. Its probably easier to unhook compression fittings than hose barbs if I am not mistaken. I just got the case and waiting on some parts to rebuild my system in here. Considering a T-line for easier drainage but not sure where the best place would be just yet.

Thanks again

If it is not too much trouble....could you mark one of your pictures of where you unhook the tubing. Its probably easier to unhook compression fittings than hose barbs if I am not mistaken...

Here you go:

4033319147_56eb0e9ba1_o.jpg

The compression fittings in those areas make it really easy to remove the tubing. I realize a T-Line would probably make draining the system easier, but I just couldn't figure out where to put one for both loops and still have it look good. Hope this helps you out.

Here you go:

4033319147_56eb0e9ba1_o.jpg

The compression fittings in those areas make it really easy to remove the tubing. I realize a T-Line would probably make draining the system easier, but I just couldn't figure out where to put one for both loops and still have it look good. Hope this helps you out.

Helps me out too! Thanks.

I was wondering, when you do drop a line down to drain your distilled water for cleaning, or to refresh the liquid, do you blow throw the loop to make sure all the liquid comes out, or do you tip your system? Or does it even matter if a little distilled water stays in there with the coolant later?

Helps me out too! Thanks.

I was wondering, when you do drop a line down to drain your distilled water for cleaning, or to refresh the liquid, do you blow throw the loop to make sure all the liquid comes out, or do you tip your system? Or does it even matter if a little distilled water stays in there with the coolant later?

Ya, I just blow some air through the loop to get most of the fluid out after gravity does its work. You may be left with a bit of distilled water, but it won't hurt anything once you add your coolant back to the loop with a microbial agent in it.

Thanks Mr_Armageddon. I just waiting on my triple rad now before i can change to water cooling. I am temporarily on air again because I couldn't wait to swap cases. :D
I noticed the grommets in between the bottom and top for the tubing is a snug fit for 5/8 OD tubing.

Do those compression fittings leak very easily? Do they leak when disconnecting a hose? I got out of water cooling becase it took too long and was a pain To change componets with regular hose fittings.

Do those compression fittings leak very easily? Do they leak when disconnecting a hose? I got out of water cooling becase it took too long and was a pain To change componets with regular hose fittings.

I have not had a single leak so far using compression fittings. When disconnecting the hose from the fittings you will get some leaks until the loop is drained, so I just make sure to do it in areas that I can catch all the liquid in a container as it comes out.

How well the the reservoirs fit with the tooless 5.25 drive bays of the case? I have one, but it is not fitting very flush in there. And the screw points are on the top and I can't screw it down.

How well the the reservoirs fit with the tooless 5.25 drive bays of the case? I have one, but it is not fitting very flush in there. And the screw points are on the top and I can't screw it down.

I haven't had any problems with the two that I am currently using. They sit flush, and the "tool-less" brackets seem to secure them pretty well.

I see.. mine on the other hand doesn't fit that well...it sticks out just a bit...which annoys the heck out of me...:p...well i'll still ordering more compression fittings...so maybe i'l try something else..

I'm planning out a very similar build for my brand new 800d, just one loop CPU only for now with a single large cylindrical res against the back wall behind the drive bays. I was wondering if you had to do it again what 360 rad would you get? I'm looking at the TFC X-Changer and Black Ice XtremeIII.

I am thinking about using these sensors instead of the Bitspower ones, but still with the Kaze Server, or possibly a 6 channel Kaze Server model that may be in the works.
28.jpg

I'm drawing out plans for an acrylic drive bay(s) panel with a homemade flow indicator windowed section, lighting controls and eSATA/USB 3.0 ports.

For fans on my rad I'm split between going quite and low rpm or Ultra Kaze 3000rpm models. Does anyone know what noise levels you get with Ultra Kaze's if you drop the rpms all the way down from the controller? I'm toying with the idea of making a hybrid set up with two low rpm fans either end of the rad wired together to one channel on the fan controller with a single Ultra Kaze in the middle on it's own channel. Other than possibly looking odd anyone see a problem with that?

That dye stuff looks pretty slick, I'm going to have to get some of that for myself!

I am thinking about using these sensors instead of the Bitspower ones, but still with the Kaze Server, or possibly a 6 channel Kaze Server model that may be in the works.

Wow, a 6 channel Kaze Server. The current 4 channel one that I have can support 3 typical 120mm fans per channel. With 6 channels you could theoretically control 18 fans!! The 800D is big, but I don't know of any case besides a Mountain Mods UFO that could hold that many fans. Gotta love it.

The fans on your radiator (GPU LOOP)......are they blowing air up or down? thank you. by the way your rig is sick!!! im getting that same case in a few weeks and will be doing something similar. according to my wife i also spend "too much time on computer stuff" hahahahhaha.

The fans on your radiator (GPU LOOP)......are they blowing air up or down? thank you. by the way your rig is sick!!! im getting that same case in a few weeks and will be doing something similar. according to my wife i also spend "too much time on computer stuff" hahahahhaha.

The fans on the lower 2.120 radiator are pulling air up from the underneath the case, through the radiator into the case. I put one of those magnetic filters underneath the case and it seems to be working great so far catching all the dust.

You can really compare the 800D with the ATCS 840. I would of picked this case if it was released before I bought the ATCS. Its looking good. I can't wait to see the finished product.

You can really compare the 800D with the ATCS 840. I would of picked this case if it was released before I bought the ATCS. Its looking good. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I agree, the ATCS 840 was going to be my next case, but the 800D came out just in time. Not to mention that I really loved some of the 800Ds features including the large side window, and the fact that the inside was already black, which meant less modding work for me to do in comparison to the ATCS 840. Both are great cases for sure.

My Scythe Kaze Server fan controller just died on me. Only 1 of the 4 fan controllers is working. Currently bypassing the controller and running all the fans at their max rpm, and I am not liking how loud it is. Temps are great though! :D
I'm gonna head to MicroCenter this weekend and swap the Kaze Server out for a new one.

On a different note... anyone else anxious to see some specs on the Nvidia Fermi cards, and maybe even a release date at CES?

Well, we at least know the card is real now. Check out the link below for more info:

NVIDIA Shows off GF100 at CES 2010

4257228794_f463250c47_o.jpg

Looks like the single GPU variant uses a 6-pin and an 8-pin. They have it running the Haven DX11 Benchmark, but what I really want see is some 3DMark numbers or something similar.

4257228840_6a109631ba_o.jpg

Hopefully we can get more details at Nvidia's Editor's Day in Las Vegas right after CES 2010. Specs and benchmarks would be nice, along with a release date.

Back