Build in Canada, lots of questions.

Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Kind of open here. If an extra $20-$30 for a vid card is going to bump the system up that much more, then I can spend the extra dough. Don't want to hit the wall of diminishing returns. Don't really want to spend an extra $60ish for a componenent. I'd like to spend around $700.

3) Where do you live?
Calgary, AB. Got a little over $300 in ++++.com gift cards so will be ordering some stuff there. The bigger stuff (Case, PSU) I can probably get in Calgary (Memory Express) to save on shipping. Or I can spend the $300 at ++++ then the rest at Mem Express if they've got better prices.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, MOBO, Ram, HDD, Vid card, Case, PSU. Onboard sound will be fine, as long as it's got an optical out. If it's got on board wireless that would be nice, but I can pickup a wireless card if not.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Just Mouse keyboard, and monitor.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Perhaps, if I gain anything. Got into the OC scene back with the Celeron 300A Easy OC to 450 MHz. If I need to spend big bucks on a cooler to achieve a good OC, I think I'd be happier spending the money on a better processor.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
A 22" LCD, A 42" LCD, and a 1080P Projector.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Soonish.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
Onboard Sound. Would like SATA 6Gb/s. Perhaps Crossfire or SLI, not sure.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 64bit.

Now, my questions. There's no urgent need to upgrade right now. If there is something right around the corner that is worth waiting for, I can wait. It would have to be pretty substantial though. (EG, not waiting 3 months for a similar processor that's just got a higher clock speed.) If 10 core affordable CPU's are around the corner, then that would probably be worth waiting. If a 10% price drop on vid cards is around the corner, not worth waiting for.

I've been reading a lot lately on SSD's and they look quite amazing. The cost seems pretty damn high though. If there's any point in getting one at the $100 price point then I could perhaps swing that for now. (Are any around $100 going to be anywhere near the intel 510?) How much faster would a hundred dollar SSD be then a average 1TB HDD? I have considered getting a regular HDD, and waiting for the higher performing SSD's to drop in price, and upgrade then. My current system will probably be doing the multimedia role, and the new one will be my gaming rig, so I don't need a lot of space.

Very confused on video cards. The entire number scheme where lower is sometimes better has me confused. I'd like to spend somewhere around $150 here. If I bump the budget to $200 would it be worth it to get a single card, or 2 lower performing cards and SLI/Crossfire them? Is it worth it to skimp on the processor, and spend the savings on the video card, or vice versa?

How much RAM does todays system need? 4 6 8? Dual Channel or Triple Channel?

My current system is a Core 2 6420 @2.13. 4 Gig Ram, and a 8800 GTS. Will the proposed $700 budget blow this system out of the water? Could I possibly upgrade this system?

Thank you very much, and sorry for the long post. I can probably manage to price out the build, if I'm pointed in the right direction. I just don't know if it's A) Worth it now. B) Vidcard/CPU priority C) Intel/AMD/Nvidia/ATI (I have no alliance to any, whatever has the best bang for the buck in my price range) D) SLI/Crossfire over a single card?

that cpu is probably holding your gpu back. You pretty much need a 3gig processor to keep up with gpu's these days. AMD's next socket (AM3+) and cpu's are rumored to be coming in June, current am3 cpu's will work on those boards but the current am3 mobos will not support the new cpu's coming. 4 gigs ram is solid unless you are doing video editing etc.

The numbering scheme makes sense, which cards are you seeing where the lower number is more powerful than the "larger" number? The nvidia numbering scheme is as follows, gts 450, gtx 460, 470, 480, 560, 570 and 580. Sequential no?

I think your best move right now is overclocking that cpu as high as you can get it, if you need and aftermarket cooler(if you are using the oem cooler then you def do) and upgrade your gpu now. Save your $ and see what the new amd offering does. As for gpu's the Radeon 6850/6870 and gtx 460 and gtx 560 seem to have the most bang for the buck right now. What psu do you have, make, model and age?

Any more opionions. The Nvidia scheme makes sense, but the other camp is what I was referring to.

Actually, Memory express does in store price matches if I'not mistaken so you can get everything from there and save on shipping.

edit: as for the ati naming schemes the best way to compare all of the cards to is to take a look at a review where they compare them all % wise. Assuming your 22" is 1920x1080 then for $150 you should be looking at a 6850 or a gtx 460 1GB, buying used would save money.

Last edited:
Which games are you playing? Which of the upcoming games do you want to play?

Which "monitor" do you use for the majority of your gaming?

A little lazy today as I'm not writing out the names of the parts:
http://++++.com/products/?sku=59550&vpn=870A-G45 & 955&manufacture=Bundle Deals
http://++++.com/products/?sku=54791&vpn=CMV4GX3M1A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair
http://++++.com/products/?sku=56357&vpn=EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5&manufacture=ASUS
http://++++.com/products/?sku=58881&vpn=WD10EALX&manufacture=Western Digital WD
http://++++.com/products/?sku=58295&vpn=P1650SCAB9&manufacture=XFX
http://++++.com/products/?sku=55583&vpn=RC-912-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER
-----
Comes out to about $702 CAD. replace the ++++ with "NC IX" without the spaces.

Now, my questions. There's no urgent need to upgrade right now. If there is something right around the corner that is worth waiting for, I can wait. It would have to be pretty substantial though. (EG, not waiting 3 months for a similar processor that's just got a higher clock speed.) If 10 core affordable CPU's are around the corner, then that would probably be worth waiting. If a 10% price drop on vid cards is around the corner, not worth waiting for.
Only thing I can think of that's worth waiting for is AMD's Bulldozer CPUs.
I've been reading a lot lately on SSD's and they look quite amazing. The cost seems pretty damn high though. If there's any point in getting one at the $100 price point then I could perhaps swing that for now. (Are any around $100 going to be anywhere near the intel 510?) How much faster would a hundred dollar SSD be then a average 1TB HDD? I have considered getting a regular HDD, and waiting for the higher performing SSD's to drop in price, and upgrade then. My current system will probably be doing the multimedia role, and the new one will be my gaming rig, so I don't need a lot of space.
Due to your budget and required parts, a SSD is out of the question. To answer some of your questions:
- No there aren't any $100 SSDs that's near the Intel 510 in terms of performnace
- Roughly ten times faster
- Just hold off on the SSD until you get the money for it.

Very confused on video cards. The entire number scheme where lower is sometimes better has me confused. I'd like to spend somewhere around $150 here. If I bump the budget to $200 would it be worth it to get a single card, or 2 lower performing cards and SLI/Crossfire them? Is it worth it to skimp on the processor, and spend the savings on the video card, or vice versa?
Due to your budget, SLL/Crossfire is not a good choice at all. You're better off with a single GPU. As for skimping on either the GPU or CPU, generally you don't want to skimp on the GPU since games are still GPU intensive these days. However, regarding skimping on the CPU, that's largely dependent on the games you're gonna play. Some games do not need that much in terms of GPU power whereas others do require a fairly fast CPU to keep up. Example of a relatively light CPU game would be Starcraft 2, COD:MW2, and somewhat WOW. Examples of a heavy CPU game would be BFBC2, GTA 4, COD: BO, and ME2.
How much RAM does todays system need? 4 6 8? Dual Channel or Triple Channel?
4GB. Dual Channel is just fine.

My current system is a Core 2 6420 @2.13. 4 Gig Ram, and a 8800 GTS. Will the proposed $700 budget blow this system out of the water? Could I possibly upgrade this system?
Yes that $700 build would blow that C2D setup out of the water.

Thank you very much, and sorry for the long post. I can probably manage to price out the build, if I'm pointed in the right direction. I just don't know if it's A) Worth it now. B) Vidcard/CPU priority C) Intel/AMD/Nvidia/ATI (I have no alliance to any, whatever has the best bang for the buck in my price range) D) SLI/Crossfire over a single card?

A) yes it's worth it now.
B) As noted earlier, depends on the game. But IMO, both should receive equal attention

C) AMD/AMD
D) Due to your budget, SLL/Crossfire is not a good choice.

A little lazy today as I'm not writing out the names of the parts:
http://++++.com/products/?sku=59550&vpn=870A-G45 & 955&manufacture=Bundle Deals
http://++++.com/products/?sku=54791&vpn=CMV4GX3M1A1333C9&manufacture=Corsair
http://++++.com/products/?sku=56357&vpn=EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5&manufacture=ASUS
http://++++.com/products/?sku=58881&vpn=WD10EALX&manufacture=Western Digital WD
http://++++.com/products/?sku=58295&vpn=P1650SCAB9&manufacture=XFX
http://++++.com/products/?sku=55583&vpn=RC-912-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER
-----
Comes out to about $702 CAD. replace the ++++ with "NC IX" without the spaces.

Only thing I can think of that's worth waiting for is AMD's Bulldozer CPUs.

Due to your budget and required parts, a SSD is out of the question. To answer some of your questions:
- No there aren't any $100 SSDs that's near the Intel 510 in terms of performnace
- Roughly ten times faster
- Just hold off on the SSD until you get the money for it.

Due to your budget, SLL/Crossfire is not a good choice at all. You're better off with a single GPU. As for skimping on either the GPU or CPU, generally you don't want to skimp on the GPU since games are still GPU intensive these days. However, regarding skimping on the CPU, that's largely dependent on the games you're gonna play. Some games do not need that much in terms of GPU power whereas others do require a fairly fast CPU to keep up. Example of a relatively light CPU game would be Starcraft 2, COD:MW2, and somewhat WOW. Examples of a heavy CPU game would be BFBC2, GTA 4, COD: BO, and ME2.

4GB. Dual Channel is just fine.

Yes that $700 build would blow that C2D setup out of the water.

A) yes it's worth it now.
B) As noted earlier, depends on the game. But IMO, both should receive equal attention

C) AMD/AMD
D) Due to your budget, SLL/Crossfire is not a good choice.

I got an infraction recently for posting something similar.

Ahh crap. Saw that there was a 1055T Thuban combo for about 60 bucks more, with a Sata 6 mobo.. Then I looked at some reviews on the 1055T. The 4 core 955 is in most cases faster then the 1055T!

Then I looked at SSD's some more. Amazingly fast. Don't really want to spend the money on a HDD as my current computer will be the 'server' All I really need in the gaming machine is an SSD, however I don't think 60 gig would quite cut it.

Then I started reading on that Bulldozer. 8 cores would be fun. That and I'm hoping with the release of them, they may push down current intel/amd prices.

I think I'll hold out a bit and see if SSD's drop in price any more, and see what happens when the bulldozers are released. Any vid cards on the near horizon I can look at to foolishly hold off my build a bit more?

Ahh crap. Saw that there was a 1055T Thuban combo for about 60 bucks more, with a Sata 6 mobo.. Then I looked at some reviews on the 1055T. The 4 core 955 is in most cases faster then the 1055T!
However note that the 1055T can achieve a higher OC than the 955 due to being based on a newer core. So that will make up for any advantage the 955 has.

Any vid cards on the near horizon I can look at to foolishly hold off my build a bit more?
None really. Gonna be awhile before we see anything from AMD or Nvidia.

Back