Build dramas, aka stuff this I'm buying a Dell

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Just having a little vent and thought you could all laugh at my misfortune, my wife doesn't understand. Anyway I've been in the process of modifying my case for a custom loop, going dual 360's on an enthoo evolv, takes a few minor mods to do and I finished them about a month ago.

So starting a month ago I ordered the fittings and tubes, I needed to have stuff in the case to visualise.

After taking it apart to install water blocks, get a call that the tubes will be 3 weeks on the day I expected them.

Fast forward, pc in bits for 3 weeks as I'm not taking the blocks off again. Tubes arrive, computer built, radiator leaks.

Built again. CPU block leaks (o ring wasn't seated when I took it apart, good qa there)

Assembled again. realise have wrong cable in the cpu block and have to take it apart again.

Built again. Water pump is dead.

Built again. leak tested and debubbled. Finally started, second dimm isn't recognised, pc is being weird. Take it apart again, I've managed to bend pins on the motherboard, literally never done that. Straighten them out but not sure if It's ok as there is one I can't get straight.

Build it again, manage to splash a tiny amount of water (like 5 drops) on my power supply that is not in the case thanks to the dog knocking me as I was filling the red again. I left it to dry, ran a hair dryer over it, it just pulses power.

Now I'm sitting super pissed off and think I'm having a beer for the first time in a month.

i'm down a Aquacomputer D5 pump, a radiator, maybe a Maximus IX Apex and almost certainly a Seasonic Platinum 1000. The pump power cable had been cut and sleeved and the radiator had been sprayed so no warranty on them, the other two were killed by stupid. I'm literally looking at my house insurance, you wouldn't believe the price of stuff here ($745 Australian to replace just the psu and mobo)

Also pissed off as it was perfect inside and now my spray work has gone to shit because of how much I've had to take it apart, that was literally the point in what I was doing. My pc worked fine.

Never had a build problem in 20 years. I seem to have saved them all for this build.

You know what makes me laugh, all the people that said it's the rigid tubes that'd be a hassle, absolutely fucking fine.

Harrumph.

Geez, I can't read stuff like this...

I've had a couple rough builds over the years but nothing close to this.

Well it's running again. As suspected I needed a new PSU (Got a Seasonic Platinum 860) and a new Maximus IX Apex. Hopefully the old ones can be repaired at cost so I can ebay them.

Given my watercooling loop is an horrendous amount of money (about $1200 australia) and I've absolutely stuffed the finish of everything trying to get it working (I was getting angry and couldn't be bothered using kid gloves by the time it was the seventh time I built it so I was all up in there with pliers on the Phanteks fittings XD)

Stories like yours is why I've been hesitant to do any sort of water cooling stuff as I feel I would end up having nightmare or lots of issues. If something like your situation happened to me, I'd end up throwing the damn thing and smashing it like Donald Duck:

Wife says I get wound up and throw tantrums like Donald Duck when something I'm doing doesn't go as planned.

In fairness I watercooled back in the day and never really had a problem. I even tried the refrigerated ones, having to grease up the CPU etc for condensation. Never had a problem. Now as to whether it is worth it, that's a different question. My CPU ran at 5.1ghz already and the 1080Ti overclocks reasonably well so I'm not likely to gain much apart from an easier time of it in summer.

This build has been disaster after disaster though. On this particular episode of my build groundhog day the WC loop won't get rid of the air bubbles (it's not the easiest to do in fairness because of how I layed it out) despite me having done it 4 times before it's just cavitating from the pump. Also I've found that the GPU cooler must not be seated properly. It shoots up to 90 degrees and throttles almost straight away. That Donald cartoon pretty much describes how I'm feeling.

Harsh!

I totally feel for you. Can't say I've ever had it that bad though, but I've long lost count of the projects that were on the brink of perfect completion only for a cascade of fuckups to rip that whole idea into oblivion.

I killed my lovely 2600K @ 5.2ghz because I pointlessly wanted to rotate the waterblock around one evening, forget why. Rushed the job and bent and clipped some mobo pins. Tried to fix as best I could but turning it on killed both the mobo and CPU right there. Basically whole system dead where literally minutes earlier I was happily gaming and ready to settle in the night. :mad::arghh::cry::dead:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Fucking graphics card blew up. Literally.

Had afterburner running, started a 3d test. Went up to the dizzying height of 30 degrees celcius. Ooo this is working nice. Artefacts appear and it locks up. Weird, let's try again. Screen goes black. Take GPU block apart as I figure it could be RAM overheating... You know the best smell in computing.... burnt plastic.

Keep going. Brown gunk between two of the little caps round the sockets, probably where they've gone bang. Figure it's probably fucked. Rebuilt, doesn't appear in Windows at all. It's fucked. Obviously I bought it from the U.S so I don't know how I'll even go with returning it. EVGA are good, but that good... not sure.

I'm fucking over this. I'm tempted to not play games till Volta. However then I have to explain why my VR etc is sitting in a pile.
:cry:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Fucking graphics card blew up. Literally.

Had afterburner running, started a 3d test. Went up to the dizzying height of 30 degrees celcius. Ooo this is working nice. Artefacts appear and it locks up. Weird, let's try again. Screen goes black. Take GPU block apart as I figure it could be RAM overheating... You know the best smell in computing.... burnt plastic.

Keep going. Brown gunk between two of the little caps round the sockets, probably where they've gone bang. Figure it's probably fucked. Rebuilt, doesn't appear in Windows at all. It's fucked. Obviously I bought it from the U.S so I don't know how I'll even go with returning it. EVGA are good, but that good... not sure.

I'm fucking over this. I'm tempted to not play games till Volta. However then I have to explain why my VR etc is sitting in a pile.
:cry:

You probably damaged the card when the cooler was mounted wrong and you had to remount it. Very easy to knock one of the chips and cause it to quickly fail afterwards. EVGA won’t cover it if the card shows damage. RIP GPU.

Yeah definitely time for a break for this build. Get an RMA for the board and hope they accept it when they get it.

You probably damaged the card when the cooler was mounted wrong and you had to remount it. Very easy to knock one of the chips and cause it to quickly fail afterwards. EVGA won’t cover it if the card shows damage. RIP GPU.

Yeah I figure it'll not be covered. As with the other stuff killed with stupid I just want a paid repair option, They did it on a card years ago but we'll see.

I paid the equivalent of $900 australian and got EVGA because they're not arseholes about having installed a waterblock, to replace it even the basic ones are over $1100 now.

What's going to kill me is shipping back to the US. That's going to be $100 on top of the $3-400 USD I figure they're going to charge me. I really can't catch a break.

Bit of a better update.

Seasonic replaced my power supply for $30, even though I said it was damaged by cooling fluid and didn't have the receipt (3.5 years old). Got an upgrade from a Platinum 1000 to Platinum 1050 as well, brand new shrink wrapped (EBay!)

EVGA replaced my graphics card in 2 days with no complaints. I love those guys.

Just waiting on Asus, that ones going to be spendy. I really hate their support, just given up each time before. Expensive motherboard though.

Seasonic replaced my power supply for $30, even though I said it was damaged by cooling fluid and didn't have the receipt (3.5 years old)
Bought a Seasonic 750X about 6 years ago, best PS ever. Load er up as I did I could not get the cooling fan to more than barely spin; it didn't need too. They mounted the power transistors on one of the covers, talk about a huge heatsink. I wont buy any PS except Seasonic

Back