Build critique on my new WHS box

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
I am currently running a WHS (specs in sig). It is in a standard desktop form factor and draws quite a bit of power.

I am looking to upgrade to something a little more compact, energy efficient and quiet.

I already have a rack for my cisco lab gear, so I will be adding to that. The hard drive enclosure will sit on a shelf (unless someone can recommend a rackmount solution that holds 4 drives and does esata port multiplying.

1x SUPERMICRO SYS-5015A-PHF 1U Barebone Server - Have one of these running untangle and love it, so why not get another?!

4x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

1x PNY Optima 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Laptop Memory Model MN4096KD2-667

1x SANS DIGITAL TowerRAID TR4M-BP 4 Bay eSATA Port Multiplier JBOD Tower (w/ eSATA Card Bundle) (Black)

Looking to keep spend under $850, and I will be reusing one of the 640Gb AAKS drives as the OS drive for WHS.

My usage is really only storing files. reliability takes precedence over Speed / performance. With the intel gigabit NICs I should not have any problem streaming my content to devices around my apartment.

Thanks for looking.

Screenshot2011-02-19at10256PM.png

Last edited:
I have found a few rack mountable esata drive chassis, but most seem to be $300+ which is more than I would like to spend.

Too bad there are not any $150-200 rackmountable units out there :(

Back