Build Check 3950x

MattyS22

n00b
I had posted here a while back with a review of a 3960x build I was going to make. After listening to the suggestions, and going back and forth for quite some time I decided that even though I'm using the machine for Lightroom, Photoshop, and some video rendering the 3960x was just overkill. The price is literally double with the 3950x on sale, and LR performance is maybe 20% better, PS performance is slightly worse, gaming performance is worse, and video rendering is about 25% better, but I don't do that often. So with that in mind, I decided on a 3950x build and wanted to check here for any feedback. Note that the video card is cheap until the 3080 ti is released. All told I'm getting double the M.2 space, a 6 TB for additional cold storage, and eventually a 3080 ti (instead of the 2080 super for the 3960x build) and it'll still be about 400 bucks cheaper. I'm going to roll that into a Synology NAS system.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM SE 63 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ULTRA ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: *Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC HYBRID GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro LED Blue 75 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro LED Blue 75 CFM 120 mm Fan

Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-27 09:40 EST-0500

Looks like a solid rig. The only change I would do is look to move to a 2TB drive instead of 2x 1TB.

Looks like a solid rig. The only change I would do is look to move to a 2TB drive instead of 2x 1TB.

I think my logic was have all my system stuff on one, and then current year photos/videos that I'm actively editing on another. That way if one fails I don't lose everything....I have no idea how good reliability on M.2's is

M.2 SSD reliability is similar to 2.5" SSDs - it's just a different form factor. Still, always make backups to external storage periodically no matter what you do.
Looks like a solid build to me with good component choices. Good airflow case too (Steve from GN would approve).

Skip that CPU cooler. Get a 360 mm cooler at least. I have it on my 3950x currently. I'm in the process of building a closed loop and will be ditching that exact cooler. I bought it because it was white and matched my build at the time, but wish I had gone with a 360 mm cooler. But, I'll be remedying that with the custom loop.

Skip that CPU cooler. Get a 360 mm cooler at least. I have it on my 3950x currently. I'm in the process of building a closed loop and will be ditching that exact cooler. I bought it because it was white and matched my build at the time, but wish I had gone with a 360 mm cooler. But, I'll be remedying that with the custom loop.

thank you!

I can say that the mobo is solid, have had mine since release and it's been rock solid and stable with my 3700x. Not a fan of AIO coolers and could easily recommend nh-d15 or similar. I picked up a 110i for my rig when it was rocking a 6700k and it was loud in order to be effective, and was quickly returned to Amazon and replaced with a nh-d15 which is as effective and much quieter.

Glad to hear that about the mobo...I kind of just randomly picked it and all the feedback I got has been great. Any reason why you don't like the AIO options?

Some of the reasons against AIO options is that they are temporal, though convenient. They are only "so so" sometimes performance wise. And as someone mentioned, they can actually be loud (strange as that might be). Since this is a pretty high end build, I think people are just suggesting you choose something that will last and keep you happier in the long run.

(I know you didn't ask my opinion.. just offering some potential reasons why)

Glad to hear that about the mobo...I kind of just randomly picked it and all the feedback I got has been great. Any reason why you don't like the AIO options?

Check out this entire thread, What Air Cooler to get for 3950x, I don't want water cooling, especially what Dan_D has to say. You're spending a lot of money on a 3950x only to leave a lot of performance on the table with regards to longer sustained boost clocks.

Last edited:
After watching this video about the new Corsair cold plate and pump on the Platinum RGB line I bought the H100i and I really like it my Ryzen 3600 in balance mode .

and my 3600 with H100i in auto overclock can hold 4.32Ghz in Devil May Cry 5 and I think that's what we all chasing as in higher gaming clocks without a hard set overclock as to let Ryzen Master do it's magic .

Last edited:
I actually pre ordered the new h150i platinum when they first showed it on January 6th. It seemed like the perfect Ryzen AIO cooler. The 100 and 110 came into stock, but not the 150. Since the Coronavirus hit, I'd say you'd be lucky to see that one this year. That's part of the reason I'm building a loop.

Back