Build 1909 is now available...

DeaconFrost

[H]F Junkie
....if you have a Visual Studio subscription. I'm not sure how soon it will be available to the general public, though.

You can get it via the Insider Release Preview as well. Just join and then leave after it downloads/installs.

Yeah, make sure you use the Insider Preview ring, not the fast ring. I have found that the fast ring is already on the 20H1 builds and since I already deleted the backup, I cannot roll back. :D Oh well.......

dammit! I just got all the work PCs up to 1903. I haven't gotten the fast ring version at home yet. still on 1903 (18999). fast ring updates usually hit me on Friday though...

dammit! I just got all the work PCs up to 1903. I haven't gotten the fast ring version at home yet. still on 1903 (18999). fast ring updates usually hit me on Friday though...

18999 is a build for 20H1 (Probably 2003) If you do not want that, do not install from the fast ring.

18999 is a build for 20H1 (Probably 2003) If you do not want that, do not install from the fast ring.
no, ive been on fast ring since day one. just stating that mine still says 1903. normally it would change if it was up to 1909.

no, ive been on fast ring since day one. just stating that mine still says 1903. normally it would change if it was up to 1909.

This is a copy and paste from another site:

"If you are in the Fast ring you get 20H1 (last build is 18999.1)

If you want the 19H2 (1909) Build 18363.418 you need to be in the Preview Ring.

If you are in the Slow Ring you will get Build 18362.10022"

My computer says 1903 as well but, it is 20H1, which I was surprised when I found out.

The only weird quirk I've had with 1909 thus far is that it keeps wanting to download the MS 2015 Visual C++ UWP from the Windows Store. Every day or two it'll try again and the download will fail. Either that or it'll just sit there at 0%.
It doesn't seem to prevent anything else from downloading and it doesn't seem related to anything else, but it keeps happening.

....if you have a Visual Studio subscription. I'm not sure how soon it will be available to the general public, though.
How soon until it becomes available to the poor sods like me who don't have a VS subscription?

My of my systems are still on 1809. Can I jump straight to 1909?

How soon until it becomes available to the poor sods like me who don't have a VS subscription?

My of my systems are still on 1809. Can I jump straight to 1909?
when it gets release, yeah you should be able to jump up to 1909 via the update tool.

since this is going to be a smaller update then normal and delivered through Windows Update, is MS still going to make an iso available for clean installs?

since this is going to be a smaller update then normal and delivered through Windows Update, is MS still going to make an iso available for clean installs?
the media creation tool should be updated when it releases. then you can make an iso with it.

So, pendragon1, what is the build your system is on at the moment, 18999 or 18363?
this is what I see:

upload_2019-10-17_17-15-42.png

upload_2019-10-17_17-16-25.png

Yeah, that is already a build beyond 1909. I am installing the 19002 right now, which should fix the shutdown issues that were occurring. However, at least for me, if I want 1909, I would have to format and reinstall, since I already deleted the windows.old backup.
yeah I dont get the whole naming thing they got going. I just install the new version when it bugs me to. if mines past 1909 why does it say I have 1903 and version 18999 is 1903 but 18363 is 1909?!?! i haven't tried shutting down since it installed but i know rebooting works. at least on my system.

yeah I dont get the whole naming thing they got going. I just install the new version when it bugs me to. if mines past 1909 why does it say I have 1903 and version 18999 is 1903 but 18363 is 1909?!?! i haven't tried shutting down since it installed but i know rebooting works. at least on my system.

Yeah, exactly. :) I think I am going to redo my systems from scratch over the weekend and go back to no further than the release preview. I had not realized that going to the fast ring was essentially like using skip ahead, since it was not like that in the past. Oh well, I made the choice, I am happy to help make things work but, this startup / shutdown issue and now the 19002 build saying it needs to be installed, although it is already installed, is beyond annoying.

Not blaming anyone but myself but, I normally do not go with builds so far out from release and now I know why. :D ;)

Well, an update was pushed out, 1002, that fixed the startup and shutdown issue. However, I have already redone one of my 3 computers, I am redoing a second but, I am going to leave my third one alone. I have to many games from different places, including DVD's and CD's, to want to go through installing them all again.

What's your process for creating a USB drive for these? I've been waiting for the MediaCreationTool to update my flash drives. I have much better luck making Linux boot drives than Windows/Server drives.

The last time I tried to make one using the Microsoft media creation tool it failed. Due to the fact I primarily run Linux I used WoeUSB and it worked perfectly, not too sure if it's available under Windows.

What's your process for creating a USB drive for these? I've been waiting for the MediaCreationTool to update my flash drives. I have much better luck making Linux boot drives than Windows/Server drives.

Just use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and you will be fine, I have never had it fail. (Yes, my usb drives have to be good, of course. :D ) That said, right now, it is still only on 1903 but is updated to 9/19/2019. Have fun.

Looks like they released one more update to 1909 via the Release Preview ring. This seems to be the "final" version and you'll have to rejoin the preview ring to get the update. That fixed my weird quirk with the Windows Store UWP C++ download. It was also a much larger download and required a system restart, which oddly the 1909 I DL'ed last week didn't.

As much as i like being on the newer builds...Ill just wait for it it to be released to non insiders. I wonder if ill have to unplug all my other hard drives first? lol (seems like the last build would always fail unless i did this)

Reactions: x509
like this
Well, an update was pushed out, 1002, that fixed the startup and shutdown issue. However, I have already redone one of my 3 computers, I am redoing a second but, I am going to leave my third one alone. I have to many games from different places, including DVD's and CD's, to want to go through installing them all again.
that 1002 update seems to have borked full screen optimization. now any game wont run properly in full screen without going into compatibility tab and turning it off. first major issue I had with any of them.

Of course you've never had it fail. Seems to be a recursive response from yourself.:rolleyes:

Except for a bad flash drive itself, I have never had it fail. Seriously, it is a simple tool, how can it possibly fail itself.?

that 1002 update seems to have borked full screen optimization. now any game wont run properly in full screen without going into compatibility tab and turning it off. first major issue I had with any of them.

Yeah, based upon this, I think I will redo my third computer from scratch as well. I am just going to go back to 1903.

Except for a bad flash drive itself, I have never had it fail. Seriously, it is a simple tool, how can it possibly fail itself.?

Well, you perform the relitively simple procedure of putting a thumb drive in the USB port, go to the relevant MS webpage, download the tool, open the tool, find the thumb drive and hit go...Wait half an hour only to get an error.

Put the same thumb drive in another PC, open WoeUSB, select the ISO as well as the thumb drive and hit go and it's done. Certainly wasn't a faulty thumb drive.

You seriously need to drop the infallible bias, the notion that MS is blameless and loves you as an enthusiast in every scenario - Such a reality only exists in your imagination. You also need to drop the premise that I'm somehow the one to blame for every issue related to Microsoft. Your latest mission to highlight that Microsoft aren't pushing Microsoft accounts in the OOBE portion of the Windows installer is evidence of such bias.

Well, you perform the relitively simple procedure of putting a thumb drive in the USB port, go to the relevant MS webpage, download the tool, open the tool, find the thumb drive and hit go...Wait half an hour only to get an error.

Put the same thumb drive in another PC, open WoeUSB, select the ISO as well as the thumb drive and hit go and it's done. Certainly wasn't a faulty thumb drive.

You seriously need to drop the infallible bias, the notion that MS is blameless and loves you as an enthusiast in every scenario - Such a reality only exists in your imagination. You also need to drop the premise that I'm somehow the one to blame for every issue related to Microsoft. Your latest mission to highlight that Microsoft aren't pushing Microsoft accounts in the OOBE portion of the Windows installer is evidence of such bias.

*Shrug* I straight up said my experiences and the fact that you do not like those experiences speaks more about you and your narrative than anything else. Dude, I just redid 3 computers from scratch with a newly created Media Creation tool drive, all online and all ended up with the same results, I had offline account available and used it, without issue. If you choose to see reality of my experiences as bias, that is on you, not me. Usually, the one with a bias is the one to point fingers and claim bias...... so........

*Shrug* I straight up said my experiences and the fact that you do not like those experiences speaks more about you and your narrative than anything else. Dude, I just redid 3 computers from scratch with a newly created Media Creation tool drive, all online and all ended up with the same results, I had offline account available and used it, without issue. If you choose to see reality of my experiences as bias, that is on you, not me. Usually, the one with a bias is the one to point fingers and claim bias...... so........

Well I can claim the opposite, the fact that you're besotted with MS doesn't mean your opinion holds any more merit than another - Especially when the Windows 10 OOBE account creation issue is reported internet wide and confirmed by MS themselves. You're in a constant state of denial pushing some silly agenda.

I'm not pointing fingers, I'm stating the facts, supported by layers of evidence and you've literally got your fingers in your ears.

The OP asked for an alternative to the MS account creation tool, I gave him an alternative. It's that simple.

Well I can claim the opposite, the fact that you're besotted with MS doesn't mean your opinion holds any more merit than another - Especially when the Windows 10 OOBE account creation issue is reported internet wide and confirmed by MS themselves. You're in a constant state of denial pushing some silly agenda.

I'm not pointing fingers, I'm stating the facts, supported by layers of evidence and you've literally got your fingers in your ears.

The OP asked for an alternative to the MS account creation tool, I gave him an alternative. It's that simple.

"My Opinion"? Dude, what I did is what occurred and the results for my experiences speak for themselves, objectively and factually. The fact that you do not like the results I obtained does not make them wrong. Oh well, have fun yelling at the wall.

Edit: Oh, and this is the Windows Insider build and 1909 build thread. Start your own rant thread if you want because otherwise, you are not really providing anything helpful.

1903 19008.1

msi afterburner non-functional . looking for fix on my end
gpu will not engage. the gpu or memory will not ramp up

I'm the OP, and I most definitely didn't ask for a Linux solution. The Media Creation tool works very well...when you want a flash drive of that particular version. One does not exist for 1909 yet. I've used it hundreds of times with one and only one issue...and that was Trend Micro's fault.

I use a number of machines here and there, both Windows, Windows Server, and Linux (various). Each has their merits, but this bullshit of injecting Linux into threads where it doesn't belong is getting out of hand. This thread, my thread, had nothing to do with Linux. I am a big fan of Linux and love trying out new distros...but you have to be able to put it aside and either give useful, relevant advice, or move along. I value your input on the Linux side, honestly...but when that's the topic at hand.

The rumor mill thinks 1909 will officially release on Tuesday. If you can wait a little longer official ISOs will likely be available around that time.

Not quite sure this forum is the place for linking even MS's own public-yet-not-advertised links to the ESD images for 1909 (ESDs are compressed/encrypted .wim's), but such links exist, and there are sites with no qualms about posting them, along with tools to turn the ESD into an ISO. Rufus is the tool the cool kids use to make installation USBs from arbitrary ISOs. Just note with Win10 the install.wim needs to be under 4.2GB (preferably use the compressed install.esd) to boot with Secure Boot (gotta use fat32). Different ISO makers seem to generate seemingly random install.wim sizes.

The rumor mill thinks 1909 will officially release on Tuesday. If you can wait a little longer official ISOs will likely be available around that time.

Not quite sure this forum is the place for linking even MS's own public-yet-not-advertised links to the ESD images for 1909 (ESDs are compressed/encrypted .wim's), but such links exist, and there are sites with no qualms about posting them, along with tools to turn the ESD into an ISO. Rufus is the tool the cool kids use to make installation USBs from arbitrary ISOs. Just note with Win10 the install.wim needs to be under 4.2GB (preferably use the compressed install.esd) to boot with Secure Boot (gotta use fat32). Different ISO makers seem to generate seemingly random install.wim sizes.
lol ill just wait for the offical media creation tool release:)

As rumored, 1909 is now live. The Media Creation Tool will download it, and the downloaded ISOs are 1909. The install.wim is huge, over 4.6GB, so those who use RUFUS to make your USB sticks will hit snags with SecureBoot as these can only be made on NTFS-formatted sticks. The workaround, if you don't mind an esd, is to get the ISO via the MCT as they pack it with an ESD which is smaller.

Back