Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H

patnshan

n00b
So I ordered the Buffalo router recommended on the "help me pick a router" thread and am awaiting its arrival. I have been doing a little reading over at the DD-WRT site and also searched for the latest build for this router. The router itself is not listed. There is some talk about instabilities and shortcomings with the current DD-WRT builds on their forum.
My question is this. What version shall I upgrade to upon receiving the router? Or, should I just try it out with the factory installed DD-WRT and see what happens? What have you all done with this router?
Any feedback is appreciated. My plan is to get it set up quickly, minimizing down time as wife is minimally tolerant of that sort of thing! I don't want to hear any "It worked fine before, why did you need to upgrade?"
Thanks,
Pat

Well after looking at the site your best bet would be the most recent firmware released 4/03/12 from buffalo, as it does not appear that dd-wrt has any firmware on their site.
Here is the ftp, you can also find the link via the buffalo site here.

Good luck as from what I have read this is a very flaky with dd-wrt. I hope the issues have been resolved in the newest firmware.

As far as I can tell OpenWRT (trunk) also works on this router.
//Danne

So I got the router all set up and connected. I haven't had much time to play with it yet. Basic setup was easy, but the documentation is pretty poor on how to use its many features. I have no idea how to connect to 2.4 vs 5 Ghz, no idea how to setup a guest network. Nowhere in the CD based setup does it address any of this. I guess I'll have to dig deeper into these items but do wish it was easier to find.
Pat

Back