Buffalo router owners with DD-WRT

ycchan

[H]ard|Gawd
For those who have successfully flashed your Buffalo routers to DD-WRT, please chime in. I decided to flash my wireless router (WHR-HP-G54) to DD-WRT since the stock firmware is annoying the hell outta me. I already read the wiki link for the installation: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#TFTP_Flashing_Buffalo_Routers_under_Windows but for step 4, there are different approaches for loading the new firmware and its like trial and error!

i.e. first approach is to hit enter to start TFTP transfer then immediately connect power to the router.

Another approach is to plug in the power cable first, wait a few seconds until the red DIAG light comes on then press enter to start the TFTP transfer.

Which method did it work for you?
Also, do you leave the cable modem ON and connected when you do the above procedure?

For the stock firmware, my computer gets a different IP whenever the cable modem is turned off and on again. I am wondering if its the same for DD-WRT or does it use a fixed IP everytime?

Thanks in advance.

I've got the same router, but I installed Tomato rather than DD-WRT, which came with a .bat file and quite a specific guide regarding IP addresses to make things much easier. So you could edit the script and change the firmware target file, or install Tomato to see if you like it, if not you can upgrade to DD-WRT with no problems through Tomato's web UI.

I did the "wait for the red light then hit enter to start tftp" method. Worked great once I figured out that zone alarm was still blocking the connection even after i thought it was disabled. Boy was that annoying.

I don't think the cable modem matters if it's plugged in but its not that big of a deal to leave it unplugged on the router side.

I have 2 of these and a differnet method worked on each one.

First one I plugged in and hit enter imeadiatly, flash worked on the first try.

The second one I had to wait for the diag light to come on then send the file.

It took a few tries on the second router.

For IP's you will need to configure a static IP as explained in the WIKI...Then after the flash you will have to re-configure to connect to the router since the Routers default IP changes.

Plug the router directly into the computer, although the first one I flashed while connected through a switch.

I have two WHR-HP-G54 routers running DD-WRT. The Wiki seems to have changed since I installed it. When I did it, it said to type out the command but don't hit enter yet. Plug in the router and watch the lights on the back for the ethernet port that your computer is connected to. As soon as the light comes on, hit enter to start the TFTP transfer. I managed to get it on the first try with my first router, but I missed it the first time on the second one. The second try went through just fine.

I did the install method with TFTP and having to connect the power at a certain point, it worked great. There was a certain TFTP program one site mentioned which worked good. I cant think of the name of it off the top of my head however, it mite be mentioned in one of the wiki's. Basically it keeps retrying the TFTP connection intill it connects, then it sends the file, so it doesn't screw up.

Click on the setup tab and it's under basic setup, top o the page. It'll ask for type of service, username, blah blah blah.

Hm. It seems I got one thing working now theres another problem.

My laptop can't seem to connect to the wireless router even after I put the correct WEP authentication code. It would say "acquiring network address" then displays "limited or no connectivity". Packets Recieved is 0

Did I incorrectly setup the wireless security on DD-WRT? Its currently on WEP, 64 bit 10 HEX.

TCP/IP settings on laptop: obtain IP addresses automatically

I would take off the security to test real quick and also check to make sure that your router is set to DHCP.

Back