buffalo router: cant access home network through internet from home?

kalobar

n00b
What do with this:

I have a server (under XP) set up in my home network
I have dyn dns running
I have a buffalo router Wireless-N Nfiniti™ Dual Band

my server can be accessed thru the buffalo router from only from inside the network (so thru 192.168 etc) and not via internet - so basically I am not able to correctly test my webservices from home

in short i can do:

external network --> internet --> buffalo --> home network

and also:
home network --> buffalo --> home network

but not the correct loop:

home network -> buffalo --> internet --> buffalo --> home network

buffalo support tells me its router doesnt allow me to go out of my network to come back in - and i just dont believe them...

anyone any suggestions?

First off, I'd suggest using dd-wrt.

Can u post a screenshot of ur configuration? That will help as a start... :)

hi, my router its a WZR-AG300NH that is not supported by dd-wrt (yet)
what info about my configuration do you need? set up is all pretty straightforward - no weird things
you think it's a port forwarding issue? why would it then work externally (so via a different network) and not thru the local internet connection?
thanks

I could be wrong here and I'm just guessing but isn't the default 192.168 series of IP addresses non routable on the internet?

what, exactly, in your home network are you trying to access?

do you have port forwarding set up for this access?
If you do not have port forwarding setup, then the router cannot pass the data back into your internal network, if it doesn't know where to send it.

I hope I made sense with that comment.

why would you need to go out to the internet to get from your home network to your home network? i'm missing something here.

I am guessing that the OP has a webserver on the inside that has port-forwarding setup so that www.webserver.dyndns.org goes to that box through the buffalo. So, when the OP is not at home the webserving works but when at home the webserver isn't reachable via www.webserver.dyndns.org.

If you have a DNS server on your home network you could setup a record that points that web address to an internal IP instead of forwarding it out to the internets.

I don't know of any firewall product that allows you to go out to the internets and then back in on itself. You could try setting up the web server on a DMZ port, that might do it if the buffalo supports DMZ.

I am guessing that the OP has a webserver on the inside that has port-forwarding setup so that www.webserver.dyndns.org goes to that box through the buffalo. So, when the OP is not at home the webserving works but when at home the webserver isn't reachable via www.webserver.dyndns.org.

If you have a DNS server on your home network you could setup a record that points that web address to an internal IP instead of forwarding it out to the internets.

I don't know of any firewall product that allows you to go out to the internets and then back in on itself. You could try setting up the web server on a DMZ port, that might do it if the buffalo supports DMZ.

I have a netgear FVS318 that allows this natively. I have a www.mysite.com resolving to my WAN IP and port forwarding to my lan server. I can access it using that DNS entry from inside or outside the LAN. In a standard environment, I agree that this should not work. Must be something they specifically built in to the netgear.

Back