Budget Video Card

sticky44

n00b
sup guys im new to the forums but i have a really important question to ask
my gfren bought me a Dell Vostro 400 that came with an 8300GS nvidia video card, but this card can't really handle someof the games that I play, what do u guys think is a good budget replacement card would be? TIA

Whats the rest of your system specs. CPU, HDD, RAM, does your power supply have a PCIE power cord, does your case have room for a 2 socket PCIE card (my old Dell E521 didn't)

If you'r looking for a true budget card, I would suggest the 8600GT, 3850, or the 8800GT 256 Meg.

But don't buy ANYTHING until you know your system can power it/fit it. Dell's are very difficult to upgrade because their PSU's usually only have enough cords for what it comes with.

sup guys im new to the forums but i have a really important question to ask
my gfren bought me a Dell Vostro 400 that came with an 8300GS nvidia video card, but this card can't really handle someof the games that I play, what do u guys think is a good budget replacement card would be? TIA

Double check to make sure you have a PCI-E power connector. Some systems DO NOT come with one.

yeah please give us more info. Most cards come with a molex to pci-e adapter but the power of your psu is more important. Please post the relevant info even the model # if possible.

thanks for the replies guys , the specs on the system are
Intel Core2 Duo Proc E4500 (2.20GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800FSB)
Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
Memory 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz - 2DIMMs
Monitor Dell 20 inch Widescreen E207WFP Analog Flat Panel Display
128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8300GS
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
16X (DVD+/-RW) Burner Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
PCI express 16x
Lite On 300 Watt Power Supply
PCI-E power cable
I think i should upgrade the power supply to the Antec Earthwatts 380

and my price range is between 80-100 dollars
after browsing this forums I was also wondering if it would be possible for me to transfer the stuff from my dell to another case like the CM 690, it looks so much nicer

after browsing this forums I was also wondering if it would be possible for me to transfer the stuff from my dell to another case like the CM 690, it looks so much nicer

Maybe, it depends on if you have a ATX motherboard.

Most dells (and other oem pcs) nowadays are microatx. Also the dells we have at my store (bestbuy) have NO Molex power adapters, only SATA. In fact ive seen that trend since my friends XPS Gen 4. So you have to deal with 2 issues. Does your power supply have 2 Molex (4 pin) power adapters free? and if you are to replace it, is it a Micro atx formfactor. if so, you have to get a specific microatx powersupply.

You probably have a BTX motherboard (is motherboard access on the left - ATX or right - BTX), if that's the case it won't fix in anything other than another BTX case. For your video cards a 2600pro or 2600xt should be around $100.00 also a 8600gt should be in that range. I think your 300w powersupply would handle those just fine. If you're good about sending in rebates (I'm not) perhaps you can find something even better.

and my price range is between 80-100 dollars

In that case you're pretty much limited to an 8600GT. Even with such a modest card you will still most likely need to upgrade that PSU.

If in the future you had more money and want to get out of using your Dell, all you need is a new case, new motherboard, and new PSU. You could take your CPU, RAM, HDD, Video card, DVD drives, etc. From your dell and into the new rig.

The benefits of doing that is

a) You can overclock
b) You have a much bigger window for future upgrades
c) Better PSU, case, motherboard than what you have now.
d) If you add a cheap intel CPU and cheap RAM and cheap HDD and cheap DVD you can have your old Dell rig working again and you could sell it or use it as a HTPC

My fiance uses that in microatx case with a 300 watt psu just fine. Id say card would be fine for you. However, I agree that you should swap out mobo case and psu

i might change mobo case and psu later on, but right now the computer is still brand new i got it for xmas

You probably have a BTX motherboard (is motherboard access on the left - ATX or right - BTX), if that's the case it won't fix in anything other than another BTX case. For your video cards a 2600pro or 2600xt should be around $100.00 also a 8600gt should be in that range. I think your 300w powersupply would handle those just fine. If you're good about sending in rebates (I'm not) perhaps you can find something even better.

BTX is a different form factor altogether - some cases have right-side mobo access but simply use reversed ATX. Mine does (comes with a BTX conversion kit tho), so I just thought I'd clear that up.

BTX is a different form factor altogether - some cases have right-side mobo access but simply use reversed ATX. Mine does (comes with a BTX conversion kit tho), so I just thought I'd clear that up.

Yeah, I know BTX is a different form factor (I have one). I guess I was just using a general "rule of thumb" about the right side / left side deal as far as form factor goes. Actually, now that I think of it, I've never seen an ATX case with the access on the right side, I'm trying to think of any advantages that might provide, I can't think of any though. Now I'm curious, do you have any links to one? I'd like to check one out.

Yeah, I know BTX is a different form factor (I have one). I guess I was just using a general "rule of thumb" about the right side / left side deal as far as form factor goes. Actually, now that I think of it, I've never seen an ATX case with the access on the right side, I'm trying to think of any advantages that might provide, I can't think of any though. Now I'm curious, do you have any links to one? I'd like to check one out.

It's an Aerocool Masstige - pretty inexpensive, but it fits a 2x120mm rad in the front with room for my optical drive, a fan controller and 3 hard-drives at the bottom (only has 2 hard-drive brackets above the PSU, and I have 5 of the buggers). I have no idea why they made it inverse-ATX - I would have preferred it to be 'normal' myself.

I suppose the one advantage is that the graphics card is mounted the 'right' way up - this could possibly help lower temperatures since heat rises, but more importantly it ensures any ramsinks on it don't fall off while the pads are 'setting' :D

thanks for everyone's input i did end up ordering the 8600GT from newegg, i hope it makes a big difference =]

Back