Budget SSD : PNY CS1100 480GB $139.99 @ Best Buy & Amazon!

A15G

Supreme [H]ardness
Cheap budget ssd. I have optima ssd's from PNY and those are still running good. (2+ years now). The controller PNY uses for these SSD's is the Silicon Motion SM2246EN.

Users who want it today can check there local Best Buy.

Best Buy

Or if you want free shipping and no tax, go to amazon.

Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Which is a better SSD? This or the 480GB SanDisk Ultra II?

Debating on keeping my sandisk order (which hasn't shipped) at $136 or jumping on this.

I just got it, I missed the sandisk one. Plus its cool that I can just pick it up at BB.

Which is a better SSD? This or the 480GB SanDisk Ultra II?

Debating on keeping my sandisk order (which hasn't shipped) at $136 or jumping on this.

Both ssd's are good IMHO. Just get whichever you can get your hands on first I guess.

Both ssd's are good IMHO. Just get whichever you can get your hands on first I guess.

Except the PNY has async NAND like the Kingston V300. known your product lines. there's a reason it's so cheap.

I got in on this a few days ago via Slickdeals: they had the 240 GB listed for 59.99. I ordered it for local pickup, but when I went to get it a 120 GB was waiting for me instead. I showed them my email for the 240 GB order and they swapped it out for the correct size. They said that their internal product number doesn't reflect the size: all these PNY model drives have the same SSD7CS1111 number in their inventory system. I was a bit sorry they managed to dig one up: they were about to give me an Intel 335 240 GB drive for the same price (the only other drive of the same size in stock)! Darn it, oh well.
PNY drive speed is ok...nothing amazing, but good enough for most work. The 4K performance is kind of disappointing, but it's still fast. The firmware is odd: I ran the PNY Drive Utility updater for the v103 firmware, but it said it already had the latest version...even though CS111101 is listed as the current firmware revision? And you only get the 3 year warranty if you register the drive on their site. Meh.

Except the PNY has async NAND like the Kingston V300. known your product lines. there's a reason it's so cheap.

Just did a quick search and couldn't really find any real claims of it being ASYNC nand.

Can you provide where you got that from with a link? Preferably from a reputable site?

I see that a lot of people get near the advertised read/write so I can't say much about it being async nand.

I got in on this a few days ago via Slickdeals: they had the 240 GB listed for 59.99. I ordered it for local pickup, but when I went to get it a 120 GB was waiting for me instead. I showed them my email for the 240 GB order and they swapped it out for the correct size. They said that their internal product number doesn't reflect the size: all these PNY model drives have the same SSD7CS1111 number in their inventory system. I was a bit sorry they managed to dig one up: they were about to give me an Intel 335 240 GB drive for the same price (the only other drive of the same size in stock)! Darn it, oh well.
PNY drive speed is ok...nothing amazing, but good enough for most work. The 4K performance is kind of disappointing, but it's still fast. The firmware is odd: I ran the PNY Drive Utility updater for the v103 firmware, but it said it already had the latest version...even though CS111101 is listed as the current firmware revision? And you only get the 3 year warranty if you register the drive on their site. Meh.

Crucial, Mushkin, Sandisk & Kingston offer 3 years warranty with their SSD's. (There cheaper/lower classh SSD's, such as the one in the OP/)

This wasn't a Samsung or Intel SSD deal lol.

Last edited:
i just got the Sandisk 240gb plus from bestbuy using newegg price match for 68.99. So far thing is running solid and is fast.

Just keep in mind that the PNY warranty is kind of pathetic given the write limitations:

120GB: 1+2 Years* or 22TB

240GB: 1+2 Years* or 22TB

480GB: 1+2 Years* or 45TB

https://www.pny.com/File Library/Su...d State Drives/Solid-State-Drive-Warranty.pdf

I don't know how many times I'm gonna say this, but every SSD warranty is probably BS simply due to those write limitations. It doesn't matter how high they are, until they get up to around 200TB. If the write limitation goes up to like at least 200TB, then the X number of years warranty actually means something. Anything from like 0-100TB, and they're not really serious about the warranty. Unless it's DOA, most SSD's can write well into the 300TB+ marker without failing. I think some SSD's even turn off after a certain point, as some kind of planned obsolescence.

Anyway these look like MLC drives and they're at an okay price. The tax ruins the deal a little but whatever. I have a PNY XLR8 that's been in my system for 2 years and it's still working just fine, so I'll take one of these to put it.. somewhere. Maybe the laptop or something. I need something to put somewhere. >_>;

Just keep in mind that the PNY warranty is kind of pathetic given the write limitations:

120GB: 1+2 Years* or 22TB

240GB: 1+2 Years* or 22TB

480GB: 1+2 Years* or 45TB

https://www.pny.com/File Library/Su...d State Drives/Solid-State-Drive-Warranty.pdf

All I see are numbers :confused:

I've had warranty run out, products that had reach there life expectancy and still worked beyond that.. It really is no different from a new car warranty. (ex. 12 months or 36000 miles, whichever occurs first). Sure you'd be out of warranty then and on your own but knowing you bought a decent quality product you shouldn't fear of anything. If you did in the first place,(or know that brand has issues) don't buy it.

All I see are numbers :confused:

I've had warranty run out, products that had reach there life expectancy and still worked beyond that.. It really is no different from a new car warranty. (ex. 12 months or 36000 miles, whichever occurs first). Sure you'd be out of warranty then and on your own but knowing you bought a decent quality product you shouldn't fear of anything. If you did in the first place,(or know that brand has issues) don't buy it.

That electronics in general may often outlive their warranties isn't relevant. The issue is many people equate warranty length to a company's confidence in a product, which they do actually base on internal testing metrics they don't disclose.

We'll have 3D NAND based SSD's before the warranty runs out. You wouldn't want a replacement for one of today's puny SSD's anyways.

Can you actually tell the difference between these and the top of the line SSDs, like the Samsung 550 Pro?

Can you actually tell the difference between these and the top of the line SSDs, like the Samsung 550 Pro?

I can't really tell much of a difference between my 850 Evo 250Gb and the Intel X-25M (gen 2) 160Gb it replaced.

That electronics in general may often outlive their warranties isn't relevant. The issue is many people equate warranty length to a company's confidence in a product, which they do actually base on internal testing metrics they don't disclose.

Or it could just be marketing hogwash to get you to buy their more expensive lines for the "better" warranty that doesn't actually make any difference.

That's kind of how it was with HDD's, too. Generally an HDD is most likely to die within its first year, according to a Google study. Past that, it had a much lower, but consistent, chance of dying each year. That was related to operating temperatures and other conditions. So that WD Black's warranty looks good, but you're probably not going to get to use it. Is warranty length actually confidence of the creator, or a ploy?

Statistically redundancy beats almost any linear increase in reliability for a single product anyway though. Backups are king as data is more important than the drive.

Stole: You have a point. For platter HD's WD Blacks are the best (IMHO) & 5 years never hurts. Having a longer warranty is never a bad thing & yes some fail over time.

Back