Budget-priced 27" IPS without glossy finish?

brettjrob

Limp Gawd
My trusty SOYO 24" MVA panel is on its last legs, and it's about time to consider a replacement. I have a few basic requirements, ones which I'm afraid might not be attainable in one package:

1. Non-TN panel.
2. Not mirror-glossy. Semigloss is okay, matte preferable.
3. Reasonably-priced. Under $500 shipped for sure, and under $400 shipped is preferable.

Input lag and fancy inputs are negligible concerns for me. I'm not much of a gamer these days; it will be used primarily for productivity and browsing, with some photo editing as well.

With all the fervor over Catleaps and such of late, as well as the new Nixeus Vue, it would seem on the surface to be a great time for upgrading/replacing. My aversion to glossy monitors is the problem here.

Is there any option among these so-called budget 27" IPS models that isn't totally glossy? I will be placing the monitor right next to a window in my apartment (at a 90° angle from said window); that's simply the way it is, and there's no way to eliminate natural lighting from my setup.

If this means I'm stuck overpaying for a smaller model like the HP ZR2440w or Dell U2410, I guess that's just the way it is, but I wanted to make sure first.

AFAIK there was only 1 korean 27" panel that was matte and it was only on the market for like a month.

Beyond that, how important is 1440p resolution to you? Because you can get decent sized 27" Dell/Acer/etc that are matte and 1080p for decent prices. However, none of those are 1440p which is, IMO, the main reason for 27". Really, it is a case of Pick your Poison.

Or, you could buy an aftermarket Anti-Glare coating and apply it yourself. Dunno how much that costs though.

cheap korean monitor + aftermarket anti-glare filter sounds like the way to go if you're on a tight budget.

photodon sells different types, for a 27" monitor it would probably run $60-70.

Thanks for the replies. I definitely would only look at a 27" panel if it were 1440p or greater. The aftermarket coating idea is intriguing -- anyone have firsthand experience with them, and if so, are you satisfied? Is it more or less invasive than the typical IPS coating found on, e.g., the U2410 and ZR24w?

The mild anti-glare coating on my SOYO is absolutely perfect, but I'm not sure anything comparable can be found these days.

The Soyo's were a great run. I bought 6 and have 4 that are still working perfectly and one that works fairly well. I am replacing the non-working ones with Nixeus monitors(fantastic monitor). I do not notice any glare but mine will be in a protected type environment. Maybe you could re-arrange your setup or put a screen on your window. What about blinds on the window that are tilted upward?

The anti glare aftermarket screens are crazy expensive.

Back