Budget PCI-E Video Card w/HDMI video and audio for WinXP

beyonddc

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I plan to buy a cheapo refurbish desktop from Microcenter and install a budget video card to use it as HTPC. So now I am looking for some recommendations on budget PCI-E video Card w/HDMI video and audio support for WinXP

I read some information online that a lot of people is having trouble getting HDMI audio working on WinXP using Radeon HD 3xxx and 4xxx series. Is that true? Is there any alternative that you recommend?

Thanks!

- dc

No experience with Windows XP... dont use it personally anymore sept on my laptop. Make sure you upgrade your drivers via ati's website though if you go ATI, as that will enable the audio and what not properly...

This is the card I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102843 (same one the other poster said also btw)

I put it in two HTPC's so far (my office ones, my home pc has like a $100 card cause im just a nut)... works very well, audio over hdmi and all that.

Thank you both.

Eric, did you run that card on WinXP?

I went to the newegg page and searched all the customers reviews and it seems none of them are running WinXP.

I would say you should really try to upgrade to Win7 if you can for an HTPC. Not getting HDMI output isn't the only headache you will have trying to use XP, unless it is just going to be basic (i.e. movies/music). Just my thoughts...

I would say you should really try to upgrade to Win7 if you can for an HTPC. Not getting HDMI output isn't the only headache you will have trying to use XP, unless it is just going to be basic (i.e. movies/music). Just my thoughts...

Understood, the reason is b/c based on my research Windows Vista and Windows 7 doesn't provide the capability of simultaneous analog and digital audio output.

Windows XP does provide simultaneous analog and digital audio output capability.

Follow this link for detail
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...e/thread/e82933fd-b3cb-46a2-9a08-0ca4652a589f

I didn't know that, but I don't need to use both simultaneously. I don't have any XP systems any more, otherwise I could test my 4350 for you. Good luck.

@OP I'm curious as to why you would want to use analog and digital at the same time. I can tell you from personal experience using an xp machine with the above mentioned sapphire card that it will wk for audio via hdmi but simultaneously I dont have a clue, as Hiodie said I don't have any more xp machines and even if I did they wouldn't be pci express 2.0........so I couldn't test my card for you.....:(

@OP I'm curious as to why you would want to use analog and digital at the same time. I can tell you from personal experience using an xp machine with the above mentioned sapphire card that it will wk for audio via hdmi but simultaneously I dont have a clue, as Hiodie said I don't have any more xp machines and even if I did they wouldn't be pci express 2.0........so I couldn't test my card for you.....:(

It's for adding karaoke capability.

- HDMI from the video card output will go directly into the receiver
- Stereo/analog from sound card will go to a karaoke mixer first then go into the receiver.

The mixer would be something like this.
http://www.acekaraoke.com/acesonic-km-111-pc-dvd-mp4-guitar-karaoke-mixer-usb.html

Unless there's another alternative. I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Good info to know. I do wish I could do analog/digital at the same time (like at work, so i dont have to switch my receiver on and then change a setting on my audio to use my 5.1 sound... be easier to duplicate the sound)

I'm pretty sure this can be done on Win7.

Wait. Why not just use the USB port then?

I don't know man. I couldn't find any concrete information that people were able to get analog and digital audio output at the same time on Windows 7.

I think with USB, it would be the same. Windows 7 just doesn't support 2 audio outputs at the same time.

I don't know man. I couldn't find any concrete information that people were able to get analog and digital audio output at the same time on Windows 7.

I think with USB, it would be the same. Windows 7 just doesn't support 2 audio outputs at the same time.
Uh, that's weird cause I do it all the time. :rolleyes:

Digital out to headphones/mic and analog out to my speakers.

Hi guys,
I'm running Realtek HD audio card & ATI HDMI video card on my Windows XP (32bit) machine. Now I can hear sound either from analog multichannel output or 2.1 HDMI (Realtek or ATI) digital out. Would anyone be so kind and navigate me through audio settings necessary for resolving this issue?

Thx

Back