Budget motherboard Recommendation for i7-8700 non-K with 1080ti

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a friend who bought a Dell OptiPlex E3 computer, and now he decided he wants to put a GTX1080ti FTW3 Hybrid in it. It doesn't appear we can port this thing over to another case, and will probably not rig up an external GPU with PCIE extender/power supply, so we're going to buy a new MOBO/case/PSU and port over the components.

Amazon link
Motherboard layout

Here are the specs:
  • pcie Asus express wireless card
  • M.2 SSD 512GB
  • 3TB HDD
  • 4x8GB ram
  • i7-8700 non-K
  • GTX-1080ti FT3W Hybrid

I'm looking at potentially B360 motherboards, not sure he needs any more features. I just want a solid build with decent cooling with minimal airflow.

What would you gyuys recommend? I'm open to used. I see on reason to spend more than $125-150, max. Looking at new B360's it looks like 75-100 is do-able (but not sure if good idea)..

Thank you for the help!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It actually looks like there aer some decent Z390 boards out there; plus there are more PCI express lanes.

Gigabyte Z390 UD and MSI Z390-A PRO at $130 on prime. What do you think?

I understand the point of moving cases to fit the GPU... but why change motherboards if it's a non K (locked for OC SKU)???

Anyway here is something not too expensive: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157864 I probably wouldn't spend more unless he is going to upgrade to a 9900K later and want to OC, then you'd want something beefier. Better off saving and not buying a prebuilt in a few years. 8700 should hold up for a while.

I understand the point of moving cases to fit the GPU... but why change motherboards if it's a non K (locked for OC SKU)???

Anyway here is something not too expensive: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157864 I probably wouldn't spend more unless he is going to upgrade to a 9900K later and want to OC, then you'd want something beefier. Better off saving and not buying a prebuilt in a few years. 8700 should hold up for a while.
The primary issue is the dell motherboard has no manual or pin-out for the front panel; I've read this to be a problem with moving dell motherboards from a dell case to aftermarket.
I'm also getting this for a friend, and I live in Colorado and he lives in Pennsylvania. If I were there or he were more capable, I'd have him plug in the front panel/case jumpers until it work but I'm not sure that is likely. We were planning on trying without a new motherboard

Here's what i can find for the motherboard manual
Ebay of mobo , pic of motherboard

Other thoughts are the 1080ti uses a lot of lanes of PCIEX, and he already has a m2. SSD and wireless lan card; I'm not sure how many/if those use lanes but it's a thought.

I like that ASRock B365M, I wonder if there would be any issues fitting the GPU plus this wireless card right next to it. That would save $55 (cost of an EVGA 120MM AIO) compared to the $130 Z390 boards I found.

Perhaps I should look at more B365 boards

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
B360 has 16 cpu lanes and 12 chipset. Even if the 1080ti somehow ends up at x8 it won’t make a noticeable difference. Suggest the most budget B360 board that fits the needs and go with it. If your buddy is not going to OC or deal with CPU upgrading then go budget all the way and enjoy the system.

The primary issue is the dell motherboard has no manual or pin-out for the front panel; I've read this to be a problem with moving dell motherboards from a dell case to aftermarket.
I'm also getting this for a friend, and I live in Colorado and he lives in Pennsylvania. If I were there or he were more capable, I'd have him plug in the front panel/case jumpers until it work but I'm not sure that is likely. We were planning on trying without a new motherboard

Here's what i can find for the motherboard manual
Ebay of mobo , pic of motherboard

Other thoughts are the 1080ti uses a lot of lanes of PCIEX, and he already has a m2. SSD and wireless lan card; I'm not sure how many/if those use lanes but it's a thought.

I like that ASRock B365M, I wonder if there would be any issues fitting the GPU plus this wireless card right next to it. That would save $55 (cost of an EVGA 120MM AIO) compared to the $130 Z390 boards I found.

Perhaps I should look at more B365 boards

If you have a Dell case or whatever, and put in another motherboard the header won't connect. The front panel connectors on OEM cases like that typically come in a prearranged block.

If you buy another case, it will come with the individual stranded cables for pwr, reset, hdd led, etc... It might take a few minutes of trial and error, but really what headers do you NEED besides the pwr one? Again this can be figured out by trial and error but if I had the power button working on the case that's all I would care about. If this was a K SKU I'd be all over telling you to get a good board with a quality VRM, but not worth it on 8700 non K. My two cents.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have a Dell case or whatever, and put in another motherboard the header won't connect. The front panel connectors on OEM cases like that typically come in a prearranged block.

If you buy another case, it will come with the individual stranded cables for pwr, reset, hdd led, etc... It might take a few minutes of trial and error, but really what headers do you NEED besides the pwr one? Again this can be figured out by trial and error but if I had the power button working on the case that's all I would care about. If this was a K SKU I'd be all over telling you to get a good board with a quality VRM, but not worth it on 8700 non K. My two cents.
We'll give it a try, if the holes don't match up to mount the motherboard that could be an issue, but we have to get a case/power supply either way so we'll start there

We'll give it a try, if the holes don't match up to mount the motherboard that could be an issue, but we have to get a case/power supply either way so we'll start there

Only thing to be careful of is that motherboard has a non standard part hanging on the right side of the DIMMs. Looks like for 20/24 pin power and USB maybe? Can't tell. Just be mindful when choosing a case.

The top 3 and bottom 3 screw holes look standard. In the middle looks like there is only one on the left. I think they should all fit any case, looks like standard mATX screw holes to me from a quick glance.

Tried the Dell board, only 2 holes lined up and it was so wide its HDD LED and Aux audio port ran into the case. he's looking at getting in to VR so wants USB-C (current doesn' thave). It looks like I'd prob want USB 3.1 G2 vs G1 just for future proofing; although Oculus doesn't seem to care as they ask for USB 3.0 in their system requirements.

I think we'll go with this: ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4 - $85

What do you think?

The B365 Phantom Gaming looks pretty good and also it has the BFB Tech that allows a non K CPU to have a much higher clock (OC) totally worth considering:

Last edited:
Hope the OP did his research and got something the punches higher than his $.

I stuck with a z370 Maximus x bc z390 Maximus xi ended up having a lower quality vrm payload.

Hope he waited bc people are dumping parts right now.

Back