budget motherboard for 10700

Gabe3

2[H]4U
I snagged a 10700 on ebay last night for $260, its the non K. I'll be using my existing 3200 ram. I'm not sure which chipset to go with.

You will need a Z490 chipset motherboard. Otherwise, your so-called "3200"-speed RAM will be capped at only 2933 MHz with that CPU.

would 267 mhz make a difference though? from the benchmark I saw, at 4k it didn't matter but 1080p it mattered some, even 2400 mhz isn't that far behind 3200 mhz

https://www.pcgamer.com/does-ram-speed-matter-gaming-amd-intel/
If you're just gonna plop them in and not do any memory timing tuning then probably not to be honest. Compared to what TheHig posted this is probably the cheapest z490 board I'd get: https://www.newegg.com/msi-z490-a-pro/p/N82E16813144306?Item=N82E16813144306 It's not amazing but since you have a locked CPU it doesn't have to be.

MSI's B460 boards look really well built. That's what I would go with as well.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
been looking into the power limit unlock. doesn't seem very useful for gaming. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-10700/16.html

asrock boards have trouble with it from what I've read. this z490 board is on sale for $130, so I could overclock later on if I got a rocket lake K cpu. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157923?Item=N82E16813157923

not sure what to do, lol. I want the cheapest board that wont sacrifice gaming performance. may end up with the msi mortar, cause the torpedo went OOS.

Last edited:
been looking into the power limit unlock. doesn't seem very useful for gaming. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i7-10700/16.html

asrock boards have trouble with it from what I've read. this z490 board is on sale for $130, so I could overclock later on if I got a rocket lake K cpu. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157923?Item=N82E16813157923

not sure what to do, lol. I want the cheapest board that wont sacrifice gaming performance. may end up with the msi mortar, cause the torpedo went OOS.

It does when you're CPU limited. And if you plan on having a high clock rate after the turbo limit expires and it drops to the regular 65W.

The cheaper end ASRock Z490 board were trash. You'd be better off with that MSI B460.

At this point, you might as well wait and see what happens with 5XX board tomorrow. Maybe the 4XX board go down in price to clear them out.

Reactions: Gabe3
like this
It does when you're CPU limited. And if you plan on having a high clock rate after the turbo limit expires and it drops to the regular 65W.

The cheaper end ASRock Z490 board were trash. You'd be better off with that MSI B460.

At this point, you might as well wait and see what happens with 5XX board tomorrow. Maybe the 4XX board go down in price to clear them out.
didn't know that was happening tomorrow, thanks.

I've used both of those, one in my Linux box/file server (B460 Torpedo) and another one in a quiet build I did for my dad for Christmas (B460 Mortar WiFi). You'll need to turn the power limit back on as they both disable it by default. Where to set it depends on your cooling and what you find useful. Personally I'd just fiddle with it until you figure out how high you can set it while keeping temps to your liking.

I played with the power limit on dad's build a bit before I set it to stock (65W), boxed it up, wrapped it and shipped it. The 10700 will run 4.6 on all cores at around 170W in Prime95 small FFTs with AVX off. With AVX2 on I was able to get it up to 4.3 at 185W. That's all the little Corsair H60 120mm AIO would take. I haven't played around with the Torpedo. It has an i3-10100 with the Intel stock cooler on it.

I've used both of those, one in my Linux box/file server (B460 Torpedo) and another one in a quiet build I did for my dad for Christmas (B460 Mortar WiFi). You'll need to turn the power limit back on as they both disable it by default. Where to set it depends on your cooling and what you find useful. Personally I'd just fiddle with it until you figure out how high you can set it while keeping temps to your liking.

I played with the power limit on dad's build a bit before I set it to stock (65W), boxed it up, wrapped it and shipped it. The 10700 will run 4.6 on all cores at around 170W in Prime95 small FFTs with AVX off. With AVX2 on I was able to get it up to 4.3 at 185W. That's all the little Corsair H60 120mm AIO would take. I haven't played around with the Torpedo. It has an i3-10100 with the Intel stock cooler on it.
thanks. I'm using Cryorig H7. I don't know if it good enough

do you know what the torpedo goes to? its not listed on this chart because it was released after those I think: https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-b460-h410-power-limit-overclocking

I'm wondering if it s 180/135/180, or if its like the mortar's 210/255/255

EDIT: I'm in a support chat with msi, this is what they said
I asked one of my colleagues just now and he says it's the same underlying board design as the Bazooka.

So it looks like my initial belief was correct, it's a 180A/135W/180W

they are going to request info from engineering to know for sure. they said it could take a week till I hear back from them. but yeah, I'm still curious what yours is.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's 210/255/255. I don't recall the exact numbers from last fall but the BIOS on the Mortar and Torpedo both default to something like that. What I do remember is they both had the same defaults.

I'm pretty sure it's 210/255/255. I don't recall the exact numbers from last fall but the BIOS on the Mortar and Torpedo both default to something like that. What I do remember is they both had the same defaults.
oh, hmm. are you able to check?

Oops. Didn't refresh before posting & missed your edit about asking MSI.

I can't really test the Torpedo anymore. I boxed up and shipped the Mortar and i7-10700 out at the end of November. My B460 Torpedo is running an i3-10100 and a stock Intel cooler. I poked around in the BIOS and I can set it for 210/255/255, but that doesn't mean it'll do it.

I think it's probably 210/255/255 though. The Torpedo's page on MSI's site says it has a 12+1+1 "Duet Rail Power System," just like that article you linked on power limit overclocking talks about with the Mortar and Tomahawk. They even recycled the picture. Look at the pics of the Bazooka, Torpedo, Tomahawk and Mortar. The Torpedo's heatsinks look like the Bazooka, but the power circuitry around the CPU looks like the Tomahawk. In particular, the Torpedo has 13 chokes like the Mortar and Tomahawk. The Bazooka only has 6.

I can't really test the Torpedo anymore. I boxed up and shipped the Mortar and i7-10700 out at the end of November. My B460 Torpedo is running an i3-10100 and a stock Intel cooler. I poked around in the BIOS and I can set it for 210/255/255, but that doesn't mean it'll do it.

I think it's probably 210/255/255 though. The Torpedo's page on MSI's site says it has a 12+1+1 "Duet Rail Power System," just like that article you linked on power limit overclocking talks about with the Mortar and Tomahawk. They even recycled the picture. Look at the pics of the Bazooka, Torpedo, Tomahawk and Mortar. The Torpedo's heatsinks look like the Bazooka, but the power circuitry around the CPU looks like the Tomahawk. In particular, the Torpedo has 13 chokes like the Mortar and Tomahawk. The Bazooka only has 6.
thanks for checking. yeah its probably 210/255/255. I'm thinking I should buy the mortar though, its $15 more, but I know what I'm getting. maybe I'll hear back from msi by the time I order tomorrow.

Did you hear anything back from MSI? Which board did you go with?

Have not heard from msi yet but I ordered the torpedo from amazon, they got 2 in stock. if I hear back from msi before I open the box and they say its 180 watt max I can return it easily. newegg charges like 30% restocking fee or something

So got the new board and cpu installed but the bios can't find windows. When I first turned on the PC it said something like new hardware detected but I hit something to enter the bios and that's all the PC boots to. I changed sata ports, boot order, unplugged my other hard drives. The bios sees all the drives perfectly. thinking I will have to boot the windows 10 thumb drive and see if there's something to repair the boot file?

UEFI does that if it can't find the OS. No idea why it can't find it though. All I can think of to try is disable secure boot.

Unfortunately I don't really have any experience moving Windows installs from one board & proc to another. I tend to keep a proc until it annoys me then do a full build including at least a new boot drive and reinstall Windows and Linux.

One setting you might want to change in the BIOS before fixing Windows (if you haven't done it already) is there's a feature to go into the BIOS if you hold the power button for 4s while the machine is off. Unfortunately it's off by default. That makes it much easier to get into the BIOS if Windows is messed up but still tries to boot, fails, and you can't use shift+restart from the power menu.

edit: Worst case you can probably do a repair install with the thumb drive.

Last edited:
UEFI does that if it can't find the OS. No idea why it can't find it though. All I can think of to try is disable secure boot.

Unfortunately I don't really have any experience moving Windows installs from one board & proc to another. I tend to keep a proc until it annoys me then do a full build including at least a new boot drive and reinstall Windows and Linux.

One setting you might want to change in the BIOS before fixing Windows (if you haven't done it already) is there's a feature to go into the BIOS if you hold the power button for 4s while the machine is off. Unfortunately it's off by default. That makes it much easier to get into the BIOS if Windows is messed up but still tries to boot, fails, and you can't use shift+restart from the power menu.

edit: Worst case you can probably do a repair install with the thumb drive.
found out what the issue was, I had the bios set to UEFI. I guess whatever motherboard I installed windows 10 on originally was set to legacy. I set the msi to "CSM" and it booted windows. I'm going to try and convert windows to GPT so UEFI works. I found this guide:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-convert-mbr-disk-gpt-move-bios-uefi-windows-10

btw, I tested the 255 watt mode. using hwinfo and real bench. for CPU package power it was using 143 W and the temp got to 100 C, I stopped it. I can't imagine what temps would be if something were to use 255 watt. at the 65 watt mode, my load temps are about 65 C. so yeah not really sure if I should leave it on the 255 watt mode. cyberpunk uses about 85 watts, temps get to 75c.

Legacy install instead of GPT makes sense.

Still using that Cryorig H7? I think you might need a new CPU cooler if you want to crank it up all the way. I was using a Corsair H60 120mm AIO. My Mortar + 10700 build was a quiet build for my dad, not an OC build. The highest I tested was 185W, which resulted in temps of 85C in a Prime95 AVX2 test. With power limits off (255W) it would run 4.6GHz at 80C in Prime95 with AVX off. Turn AVX on and it would hit 100C and throttle. All that was with the fans running full tilt though. You'll want something better to max out that chip. Fans going full speed are annoying. Of course whether or not a cooler upgrade is worth it depends on how things are running. If you're GPU or monitor limited there's not much use for a faster proc for gaming.

Unless/until you get a new cooler I'd figure out what power limit keeps it from getting too hot or too loud. If 143W lands you at 100C and a throttles I'd start a bit lower and go up or down from there until you get temps and noise levels you like.

edit: was a Mortar, not a Torpedo... but this is about power limits so close enough.

Last edited:
Legacy install instead of GPT makes sense.

Still using that Cryorig H7? I think you might need a new CPU cooler if you want to crank it up all the way. I was using a Corsair H60 120mm AIO. My Torpedo + 10700 build was a quiet build for my dad, not an OC build. The highest I tested was 185W, which resulted in temps of 85C in a Prime95 AVX2 test. With power limits off (255W) it would run 4.6GHz at 80C in Prime95 with AVX off. Turn AVX on and it would hit 100C and throttle. All that was with the fans running full tilt though. You'll want something better to max out that chip. Fans going full speed are annoying. Of course whether or not a cooler upgrade is worth it depends on how things are running. If you're GPU or monitor limited there's not much use for a faster proc for gaming.

Unless/until you get a new cooler I'd figure out what power limit keeps it from getting too hot or too loud. If 143W lands you at 100C and a throttles I'd start a bit lower and go up or down from there until you get temps and noise levels you like.

I agree with this. I was using a Scythe Fuma on my 10700 and with the power limits off it would run maybe slightly cooler than this, but not much. I don't remember if it would throttle under an AVX load or not. It will definitely throttle under an AVX load unless you have a pretty significant cooler.

I've had the bios on the default 65 W setting for awhile now. but I started playing squad and seeing my gpu usage drop so figured I'd play around with the 255 W setting again.

using the AIDA64 stress tester and watching hwinfo64. with the air cooled 255 W setting all cores stay at 4.58ghz while stress testing, with temp getting to 86c within minutes. it would probably get to 90c if I let it run a few more minutes. and for the vcore, its 1.228v. I'm wondering if this is higher vcore than whats needed. cpu package power reaches 109 W

With the water cooled 255 W bios setting, the vcore gets raised a little, reaching 1.23-1.24v. however everything else seems to be the same as when its set to air cooled setting. what I don't understand though is on the 65 W setting, cores are clocking at 4.58ghz while playing squad, I left hwinfo open on my second monitor, never noticed them dropping. yet when I stress test, they sit at 3.98ghz.

Last edited:
I've had the bios on the default 65 W setting for awhile now. but I started playing squad and seeing my gpu usage drop so figured I'd play around with the 255 W setting again.

using the AIDA64 stress tester and watching hwinfo64. with the air cooled 255 W setting all cores stay at 4.58ghz while stress testing, with temp getting to 86c within minutes. it would probably get to 90c if I let it run a few more minutes. and for the vcore, its 1.228v. I'm wondering if this is higher vcore than whats needed. cpu package power reaches 109 W

With the water cooled 255 W bios setting, the vcore gets raised a little, reaching 1.23-1.24v. however everything else seems to be the same as when its set to air cooled setting. what I don't understand though is on the 65 W setting, cores are clocking at 4.58ghz while playing squad, I left hwinfo open on my second monitor, never noticed them dropping. yet when I stress test, they sit at 3.98ghz.

Gaming is not nearly as intensive than if you do something like load prime 95. It might not be hitting the wattage limit.

Back