Budget HTPC - which way?

Term-X

2[H]4U
I am looking to make a HTPC for a family member but while I know the options available for cube build, it has also been suggested to me that I could use a laptop.

I am basically looking for this HTPC to do and/or have the following:

-Capable of playing 1080p content smoothly
-Will be used for browsing the web and streaming international programs thereof (built-in bluetooth is a plus but not necessary), so it definitely needs to be able to run Win 7 (none of those quasi media boxes)
-HDMI out and/or SPDIF out as necessary
-eSATA port (preferably with port multiplier capability)

Anyway, given an approximate budget of $650, which option would be the best way to go? Traditional HTPC (cube PC) or laptop?

Assuming the machine has a dual core CPU and a decent enough graphics chip you shouldn't have any issues playing 1080p. Most laptops have HDMI outputs and eSATA isn't too hard to find. I'm not sure if port multipliers will work on most laptops.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14r/fs

The above Inspiron for example wouldn't have any problems due the i3 CPU, and GPU that has passes HD audio (and DD/DTS too). It has HDMI and eSATA as well. For $500-600 its not bad.

(I'm not necessarily recommending this laptop as I've only used it briefly, but I'm just pointing out that it is possible to find a laptop that works as an HTPC)

If you have plans to use the HTPC "laptop" in other places go for the laptop. But if you're not and want a longer warranty, I'd go for a traditional HTPC

You could use a laptop, but if useability on the go isn't a concern, a traditional HTPC will have more features, more expandability and more options for less money.

Why does one need dual core cpu to play 1080p? Playing HD content is not cpu taxing.

Why does one need dual core cpu to play 1080p? Playing HD content is not cpu taxing.

I'm using 35%-45% of a dual core x6800, which is a faster dual core, for playing the Braveheart blu-ray from .mkv. I can get that down to 25% with DXVA, but DXVA is not very stable for me. I wouldn't skimp on CPU if you want no problems.

its basically impossible to build something now and not have dxva support.
It's also almost equally difficult to get something with less than 2 cores.

either way, you are basically set unless you are buying a nettop or netbook.

When I put a DVD into my HTPC I like it to rip it then make it into a .m4v file. With a dual core pocessor this takes 1.5 hours, and makes the mouse somewhat un-responsive at times. I often wish that I could have afforded a Core i5 for it, but all I had left laying around was a C2D.

its basically impossible to build something now and not have dxva support.
It's also almost equally difficult to get something with less than 2 cores.

either way, you are basically set unless you are buying a nettop or netbook.

I have a Sempron laptop which is a single core CPU and it can play 1080p fine. Do BD players have dual core CPUs inside them? No.

When I put a DVD into my HTPC I like it to rip it then make it into a .m4v file. With a dual core pocessor this takes 1.5 hours, and makes the mouse somewhat un-responsive at times. I often wish that I could have afforded a Core i5 for it, but all I had left laying around was a C2D.

OK, but that is ripping and not just playing 1080p content. For playback it is the video card capabilities that are more important than the CPU.

mortonP said:
I have a Sempron laptop which is a single core CPU and it can play 1080p fine. Do BD players have dual core CPUs inside them? No.
no, but they have dedicated decoder hardware that plays the same role as a video card.

Nobody said that a sempron wasn't going to be capable of HD decoding, but the idea that high-bitrate HD decoding isn't CPU taxing is false. Even with modern CPU's, HD decoding can be fairly intensive. It just goes to show you how efficient specialized hardware can be.

I have a Celeron E3300 downclocked/volted to 1.8/1.25. Only cost 50 bucks. If I need power up the line I got a ways to go just back to stock clocks of 2.5 and can then overclock from there. Not a bad bargain imo. I just threw with it some 8400gs card I had laying around for hw acceleration.

I would opt for using a notebook. The only downside is that the number of hard drives - used for media storage, is limited.

The upside is that one can move a notebook around. We take a notebook in the car and let the kids watch videos.

---

I have about 1000 DVDs ripped to hard drives and they take up about 4TB of storage - about 2 3.5" hard drives. That is a lot of video.

Back