Budget Gaming PC, lot of help needed

Augster

Weaksauce
I'm building my nephew a budget gaming PC in order to play some games. He's mostly into flight sims, but would like to play other games also. He also needs to be able to do his homework on the PC, a given I know. He's 13, so he has a lot of homework coming up in the next few years. I need most everything and haven't built a PC since 2013. I know basically nothing at this point.

Budget $600-$800 and we may or may not need a monitor. It'd be great to fit one into the $800, but I'm not hopeful.

Anyway, I'll update the questions.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming, browsing. Flight SIMS.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Topping out at $800 after tax and shipping and hoping to include a monitor.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Minneapolis, MN. I can get to MicroCenter in 15 minutes. I also can order online anywhere.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Why isn't everything acceptable? :) CPU, preferably one that comes with its own HSF unless a good aftermarket one fits the budget, RAM, GPU, MOBO, case, OS, Hard drive, hoping SSD. Monitor. PSU, Blu Ray Burner.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Keyboard, mouse, maybe an old monitor if a new one doesn't fit the budget.

6) Will you be overclocking?

If the chip OC's easily and stably. I won't be pushing boundaries.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

I don't know yet. If within the budget, I'm sure it'll be low end.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

I need to put this together this week or next. His birthday is March 1st, and his mom would like it in hand by the 10th at the latest. I'll likely start purchasing today and/or tomorrow. I could go to Microcenter tomorrow.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Whatever is suggested. Onboard audio for sure.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

I need an OS.

My sister-in-law has just sprung this on me right now, so I haven't researched at all. Both PC's you guys have helped me build 4 and 5 years ago are still working perfectly.

If there is an OEM system to buy that is good enough within the budget, I'd be fine with that also. As I said, no research was done. I trust you folks. :)

Thanks for your time.

you might want to check out newegg's refurbished stuff slap a video card in something like this for a quick build. btw my sig build was only $600 minus a case and power supply

Well AMD is releasing their new CPUs March 2nd, however I don't think any of them will be priced for your budget anyway. No idea what the cost of motherboards will be nor do I even know the availability of the CPUs at launch.

Although a budget that low ($800) and knowing you basically are starting from scratch you might be better off with an OEM system. It will also relieve you of any troubleshooting in the future that a 13 year old will surely have.

You mention flight SIMs as one of the requirements. Which flight simulators are we talking about?

Well AMD is releasing their new CPUs March 2nd, however I don't think any of them will be priced for your budget anyway. No idea what the cost of motherboards will be nor do I even know the availability of the CPUs at launch.

Although a budget that low ($800) and knowing you basically are starting from scratch you might be better off with an OEM system. It will also relieve you of any troubleshooting in the future that a 13 year old will surely have.

You mention flight SIMs as one of the requirements. Which flight simulators are we talking about?

I have no idea. I imagine he'll pick up something like flight sim X from Microsoft.

I can't see signatures on my phone. I'll have to login via PC.

Thanks for the help!

If I were to go that refurb route, what GPU should I add? At $430 that allows some space for a GPU and a monitor. Or would it be possible to add an SSD to that refurb system and somehow put the OS on there then use the 1TB for storage/games.

Thanks!

kids are used to using tvs. as long as he has a 1080p tv spend the rest on a video card, a gtx 1060 or r480. Especially if he has a playstation get the $20 wireless adapter. Most of my friends look at me with a stupid look on their face if i point at a keyboard and a sigh of relief when i hand them a playstation controller.

paste sig 6600k @4.6 1.35v | Gigabyte Z170mx G1 Gaming 5 | 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 15,15,15,1T @1.35v | Samsung 256Gb 950 pro NVMe M.2 | 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200 320Gb | CM Hyper 212 EVO | Tt Core v21 matx | Corsair hx520

800$ build, for pretty good 1080p gaming:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tJDzWX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tJDzWX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 8GB Red Devil Video Card ($211.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($46.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $802.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-26 05:31 EST-0500

800$ build, for pretty good 1080p gaming:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tJDzWX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tJDzWX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($196.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 8GB Red Devil Video Card ($211.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Spike MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($33.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($46.89 @ Newegg)
Total: $802.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-26 05:31 EST-0500

Thanks so much. What a great list.

I'll need an OS. Is there any, good, cheap way to get one? He's a student and his mom is an elementary school teacher if that allows for any discounts.

Great ideas! Keep them coming.

Doing more reading as I need to purchase this week, is there a big minus for using the G4560 vs. an I3 or I5? The price difference is enormous.

In the entry level gaming build on pcpartspicker they used that CPU and in PCPer's budget radeon build, he would have...https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Building-Budget-PC-Radeon-RX-460-Part-1

But as before, I really don't know anything. I just know I need the parts, I need a blu-ray writer, and I need the OS.

Thanks for all the help!

Thanks so much. What a great list.

I'll need an OS. Is there any, good, cheap way to get one? He's a student and his mom is an elementary school teacher if that allows for any discounts.

Great ideas! Keep them coming.

Looks good build yes, for the OS you can try to buy from kinguin.net

A couple of questions...

Could someone model me a gaming setup using the G4560 in the $600-$800 range? Preferably $600-ish. I'm trying to use the compatibility thing at pcpartspicker, but there's so many choices.

Also, should I scrap this and just pick up an open box PowerSpec G220 at my local Microcenter? Here's a link...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/471913/G220_Desktop_Computer

Thanks for all the help.

I modeled a build using lukart's great suggestions and opted for the G4560 for this model.

Here's the partspicker link:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKZxNN

Does anyone see anything wrong there? I'm not sure what timings I'll need for the RAM and is 8GB going to be enough?

Pentium G4560 ($62)
AsRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Mobo ($79)
G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 8GB DDR4-2666 ($55)
Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB SSD ($75)
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM ($49)
Powercolor Radeon RX480 8GB Red Devil ($212)
Cougar Spike case ($34)
Seasonic S1211 520W 80+ Bronze PSU ($47)
LG Blu-Ray/DVD/CD ($58)
Total: $671

I know that can be improved on by you guys much more knowledgeable than myself. Let me know. I need to get started on this ASAP.

Thanks.

Okay, here's what I went with. Now I just need an OS. I have a line on how to get a valid key, I just need to find the download for WIN 10.

Let me know where I messed up. It'll be a few days before everything arrives, so I have time to correct if need be. I bought everything through Newegg.

All prices are delivered after instant rebate prices.

1. CPU Pentium G4560 $65
2. MOBO AsRock B250M Pro 4 $83
3. RAM GEIL EVO Potenza DDR4-2400 16GB (2x8gb) $90
4. SSD Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB $76
5. WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM $50
6. GPU Powercolor Radeon RX480 8gb Red Devil $232
7. Cougar Spike Case $36
8. LG WH14NS40 Bluray writer $41
9. PSU Seasonic s12II 520W 80+ Bronze $54
Total: $727

I'm supposed to get a $20 MIR for the GPU and a free code for DOOM.

I'm also supposed to get a $5 MIR from Seasonic for the PSU.

So if the $25 actually works, it'll be $702 shipped. Then 1% off through Ebates (let's call it $7) will take that down to $695

Still need an OS and possibly a wifi adapter, any suggestions? Or I could go USB wifi.

Let me know if that'll work okay.

Thanks for all the help and your time!

EDIT:

UGH! I forgot the PSU. Edited above to reflect PSU inclusion.

Last edited:
I just want to reply to say that the recommendations mentioned above are pretty good. I might build myself with a new PC for my nephew as well. The $802 PC recommendation is pretty good!

Since Lukart posted that, the RAM is $17 cheaper than that at Newegg until the 2nd I think. So it's an even cheaper build if you buy right now.

If you want to save $25, you can cut the Blu-ray and go DVD, but I do agree the price of BluRay has ALMOST dropped down to "buy it, regardless" levels.

It would be nice to see software distributed on BluRay, even though everything on PC is online. The install times would be 4x faster!

Pretty decent budget rig, personally have the RX480 Red Devil and love it. :)

Anyone have a cheap way to get Windows 10 up and running on this? There has to be a cheaper way than Amazon, newegg, or Microcenter.

I have everything in hand and have put most of it in the case. Really just need an operating system.

Thanks.

Hello,

Quick question. I built that rig above for my nephew a year and a half ago. Now he wants to upgrade the CPU.

What CPU is compatible with that motherboard? Can he buy an I7 9700K? Something smaller than that? Or would it be better to upgrade the mobo also and keep the other hardware?

Thanks for the help!

Okay. So an i7-8700k or 9700k should work but do a bios upgrade before install?

Thanks for the help!

Yes, make sure to do the BIOS update before CPU install.

And no, only 6000 or 7000 series CPUs will work with that mainboard. No 8000 or 9000 series unfortunately. If you’re looking to max out the system’s capabilities, you’d want a 7700k. (Or 7700, which would be slightly cheaper, but has slightly lower clock speed). The K processor also allows for overclocking, but I’m not sure if that mainboard supports overclocking.

Okay great! So only 7700 series. So if he wanted 8700/9700 he’d need to upgrade his motherboard.

His mother, my sister in law, doesn’t want to spend more than $400-$500. What would be the best upgrade for him for that limited budget. He’s coming from the pentium G4560.

Thanks for all the ideas and help!

Going by a quick Amazon search, the 7700 is going for $300, the 7700k is $350. If you have a budget to stick to, the regular 7700 is a very solid option, and with its 8 threads will be good for the near / medium future.

I forgot to mention as well - the 7700 comes with a free heat sink, the 7700k does not come with one and that must be purchased separate. If you bought an aftermarket heatsink for the Pentium, you could reuse that on the new CPU, but if the Pentium is using the cooler that came with it, that heatsink wouldn’t be enough for the new CPU. So, that’s another mark in favor of the 7700 over the 7700k, in addition to the $50 savings there’s the heatsink purchase savings. The difference in clock speed between the processors will not be very noticeable in day-to-day use, they boost to essentially the same speed anyways. And you’ll enjoy a huge bump over the Pentium.

Some on the forums won’t agree with me on using the included cooler, and it’s true that an after market will be quieter and keep the processor cooler. However, the stock cooler is perfectly adequate and will work great for you on a budget. Can always be upgraded later.

I concur. Go with the 7700 non-K CPU. Your motherboard can't overclock a 7700K properly anyway so no need to spend the extra money on it.

OMG. Thanks so much.

He has used the stock cooler on the pentium with no problems for the last year and a half. So he doesn’t have a 212 or anything.

So the 7700, non K, and a BIOS update.

Thanks for being so helpful and Merry Christmas to you all!

Most stock pentium coolers are smaller than i5 or i7 coolers. So make sure you use the i7 cooler when you purchase it.

I'm not 100% sure on that with the latest processors. I just know my Ivy Bridge Pentium came with a significantly smaller cooler than the stock cooler on my i5 and i7 CPUs. I imagine it's still the same practice.

Back