Budget Gaming Computer build ideas? $700 or less

RAD

Limp Gawd
Hey all. My friend would like me to build him a budget gaming machine. I was hoping to consult with you all before embarking on the build to get him the best bang for his buck. That said, on to the standard questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc.

He greatly wants to have a dedicated gaming machine.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Budget is $700, shipping and tax included. I also don't want him to spend his money just to spend his money, if coming in under budget doesn't harm performance significantly.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible
Northern California (couple hours north of Sacramento).

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

It will be a complete machine, the case and all internal components. He will not need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, or OS.
Thus:
Case
PSU
RAM
CPU (plus HSF if needed?)
GPU
HDD
MOBO
CD/DVD reader/burner

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
No parts will be reused from his previous machines.

6) Will you be overclocking?
No, he wants his machine to be as stable and long lived as possible at stock.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
He has two monitors, he is willing to use either (or both?)
Monitor 1: 19" 1280 x 1024 Sony SDM-HS95P
Monitor 2: 19" 1280 x 1024 HP f1905b

I know those are fairly old/small monitors, but it is what he has on hand and he wants to put his full budget into the machine itself. I would guess that he would buy a new monitor down the line when budget allows.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Sooner rather than later, but it is not super time sensitive, beyond the fact that he is currently limping along on an old laptop that has a question mark in the "continued functional lifespan" column. He could probably wait a little while if a big price drop was coming down the tech pipeline.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
No special mobo requirements.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I have an extra copy of Windows 7 64 bit I will give him.

So, thoughts? What can I put together for him for maximum efficiency/longevity for his money?

Last edited:
I don't know about prices (I'm in the U.K.), but I'll suggest the Radeon R7 260 or 260X as the video card. It should do fine with such low resolution monitors. But you and he should treat it as disposable: that is, he should change it when he upgrades his monitors.

You mention longevity. One way of improving longevity is to remove moving parts. That suggests a Nofan CPU cooler and a fanless PSU and a SSD. I have a Nofan CR-95 and it's wonderful. I also have a Nofan CR-80 awaiting retest, but so far I've not been very impressed.

I've always thought of SSDs as a more premium end item than would go into a budget build... I mean yeah we could get a 250 gb SSD for about $100 to $130 or so, but thats a big chunk of $700 just for the hard drive, isn't it?

I'd like to pick him a gpu solution that hopefully won't need to be bounced out immediately when he upgrades his monitor.

As far as which games he is going to hit first, that I don't know. I suspect RPGs and games like Planetside 2.

I've always thought of SSDs as a more premium end item than would go into a budget build... I mean yeah we could get a 250 gb SSD for about $100 to $130 or so, but thats a big chunk of $700 just for the hard drive, isn't it?.
Yes.
I'd like to pick him a gpu solution that hopefully won't need to be bounced out immediately when he upgrades his monitor.
When exactly does he plan on upgrading the monitor?
As far as which games he is going to hit first, that I don't know. I suspect RPGs and games like Planetside 2.
Probably should ask him about that. That's going to determine just how much GPU power you need.

Yes.

When exactly does he plan on upgrading the monitor?

Probably should ask him about that. That's going to determine just how much GPU power you need.
He is aiming for the Mass Effect series, Batman series, Agarest: Generations of War, maybe Elder Scroll V: Skyrim as "top of the list to start with" games.

Uncertain on the monitor timeline, it depends on how things go.

$180 - Intel Core i5-4430 CPU
$73 - MSI B85M-G43 Intel B85 ATX Motherboard
$60 - Crucial CT102464BA1339 8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$146 - Gigabyte GV-R726XOC-2GD Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card
$60 - Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD Burner
$61 - XFX Core Edition PRO550W 550W PSU
$50 - NZXT Source 220 Black ATX Case
---
Total: $648 shipped plus tax

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
With two 19" monitors, I'd hold off upgrading them until 4K becomes more affordable.

Thank you for the suggested build! EDIT: nevermind on the other part of what I said here, gpu numbering hijinx confused me. Not a ton of information in the way of reviews out their for these gpus, is there? October rebadges/more refined runs of previous architecture from what I can skim from various sources?

EDIT: Also, I take it no need for anything other than the stock HSF for the CPU if we aren't overclocking it?

With two 19" monitors, I'd hold off upgrading them until 4K becomes more affordable.
Haha.

Just for kicks, what would folks thoughts be on an affordable, good bang for the buck gaming monitor? Let's say probably 24" or under. Or should I do some digging of my own over in the monitors sub forum on that one?

Is this one about on track for where budget TN gaming monitors are going to sit Price/Quality wise? I am going to assume an IPS is beyond budget for him at this time.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2446M-LED-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00D601UC8/

Last edited:
Not a ton of information in the way of reviews out their for these gpus, is there? October rebadges/more refined runs of previous architecture from what I can skim from various sources?
Pretty much.

EDIT: Also, I take it no need for anything other than the stock HSF for the CPU if we aren't overclocking it?
Correct.
Just for kicks, what would folks thoughts be on an affordable, good bang for the buck gaming monitor? Let's say probably 24" or under. Or should I do some digging of my own over in the monitors sub forum on that one?
Definitely hit up the monitors for that one. Although...
Is this one about on track for where budget TN gaming monitors are going to sit Price/Quality wise? I am going to assume an IPS is beyond budget for him at this time.
http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA2446M-LED-24-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00D601UC8/
Not really. An IPS monitor is only $18 more:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236288

Thanks for all of the information, I will pass everything here on to my friend.

Back