"Budget" CCNA Lab

cburwell

Limp Gawd
The word budget is in quotes, because there are many things that could be done differently. I decided to document the build of my lab since I did not see anything of that sort on the forum.

Components
Cisco Catalyst 2924XL-EN Switch:
This thing was listed as "Brand New" on E-Bay. I was a bit skeptical, but it came in a Cisco box and it looks flawless. Even if it is not new, at $120 (shipped), it was still a good deal!

DSC_2039.sized.jpg

Cisco 2513 Routers:
I bought three of these off of E-Bay, not because I felt I needed three, but because that's what the auction was for. The exterior of the routers has a good amount of wear and tear, but they function perfectly. $117 shipped for all three.

DSC_2053.sized.jpg

Cisco Console Cables:
Used to get into the CLI of the routers and switches. I choose to get three, since I did not want to climb behind my switch to connect the cable (I'm lazy). So I use one dedicated for the 29254. $15.97 shipped.

DSC_2057.sized.jpg

Ethernet Transcievers:
These transform the "AUI" port on a 2500 series router into a 10baseT ethernet port, which allows you to use a standard ethernet cable. I purchased three, one for each router. $29 shipped.

DSC_2049.sized.jpg

Skeletek 16U Rack:
I knew I would be expanding my lab as I moved on to the other certifications. I wanted to keep everything looking neat in my bedroom as well. I came across this rack on e-bay. The good thing is that it is expandable, and it comes in a 12U size, if you need something smaller. $124.21 Shipped.

DSC_2098.sized.jpg

Everything is coming along nicely. I still have to cable the power so that it looks a bit cleaner. Here is a grand total for reference:

2924XL-EN: $119.90
2 2513's: $117
3 Console cables: $15.97
3 Transcievers: $29.00
16U Rack: $124.21
-----------------------------------------
Total: $406.11 (Includes shipping)

Other things I will be getting:

- Three serial back to back cables (DCE/DTE). I found cables on E-bay that combine the DCE/DTE into one cable, and they are cheaper. These are used to simulate a WAN connection between the routers.
- 16MB DRAM. I believe this is the max for the 2500 series routers. It will allow me to run enterprise IOS.
- 2X8MB sticks of flash memory: Again, I believe this is the max for the 2500's.

More Images can be found here

Resources/Web Sites
Monoprice: Great place for cheap cables. Serial (DCE/DTE), Cat5/Cat6, Fiber Optic, etc!
Cisco IOS Feature Navigator: Find out what features an IOS image has. I use this to search by image name, so I know what features my equipment has.

it all looks good, but i would suggest turning the 3x2513's around. it would look better.
and you only need 2 serial back to back cables because you have three routers.
its a nice setup though. i only have a 2501 for now. dont have enough $$ to get some more of them and the switch

nicolas9510 said:
it all looks good, but i would suggest turning the 3x2513's around. it would look better.
and you only need 2 serial back to back cables because you have three routers.
its a nice setup though. i only have a 2501 for now. dont have enough $$ to get some more of them and the switch

Good call on the serial cables!

I was thinking about turning the routers around, but I decided this would work out better. It's just easier to access all of the ports, etc. Again, I'm lazy!

I had already ordered three before I read his post. If I don't use one, oh well!

On that note, I cleaned up the power cables on my rack today. I'll take some pictures at some point just to show the difference.

Nice lab you got there, I would suggest getting a 2520 sometime later, I think they have four serial ports. That would make some nice routing protocol labs.

COKE CAN said:
Yes indeed, I just got my tracking number

COKE CAN - all I have to say is damn you if you got the one I was looking at (CC is sitting on desk at home... have to wait to buy the rack until after work).

*shakes fist* :)

Wow nice rack!
Umm, I normally say that to girls. :p
In any case, you really got some good prices on your gear.
Many people use Ciscokits, but if you know what you are doing, you can save quite a lot with some careful shopping at FleaBay.

nicolas9510 said:
it all looks good, but i would suggest turning the 3x2513's around. it would look better...
Actually, since he’s using that setup as a lab, it is facing correctly. It’s easier to change cables and stuff the way it’s positioned now. It all depends on how he uses it. :)

warbird said:
Many people use Ciscokits, but if you know what you are doing, you can save quite a lot with some careful shopping at FleaBay.

I didn't know squat when I first started looking into building a lab. CiscoKits has great gear, and they were very helpful with some questions I had on some 2600 routers they were selling.

Between the help of the people/threads here and some research I was able to figure out what I needed to set up my lab. As you said, this will save you some money, but the trade off is the fact that you need more time and you sometimes have to buy things in pieces.

Malk-a-mite said:
COKE CAN - all I have to say is damn you if you got the one I was looking at (CC is sitting on desk at home... have to wait to buy the rack until after work).

*shakes fist* :)

lol

I saw quite a few. So I hope you get yours

With the Skeletek racks, when one auction ends (via buy-it-now), another auction for the same item appears within a few days.

I went a little overboard on mine. I got two 1720's (32/16), one 2520 (16/16), and two 2900XL switches. I should have gotten only one 2900 switch and replaced the other one with another 2520. I don't think I really needed two switches especially if I could have just used a VLAN. About $900 shipped from Cisco kits.

Some of the stuff I got from Cisco kits wasn't exactly super clean looking. I know its used, but the 2520 had a nasty scratch on it that took off the Cisco badge and the 1720's have "Telindus" badges on it, I googled it and it seems they were used in that company.

I just won 3 Cisco 2513 routers off ebay for $75 before shipping from the user "solditall"

He/she has posted this combo a few times already. So if anyone is looking, check ebay tomorrow and see if they post another one.

Thanks cburwell - I'm the proud owner of my own Skeletek 12U rack now - saved 20 bucks on shipping since I was in the area of the seller this week.

:)

Now to finally get my Cisco gear off my desk.

COKE CAN said:
I just won 3 Cisco 2513 routers off ebay for $75 before shipping from the user "solditall"

He/she has posted this combo a few times already. So if anyone is looking, check ebay tomorrow and see if they post another one.

That's the same seller I purchased my routers from. Good deal!

did you buy everything off ebay?
Im looking to set up a mini lab too like that.

I now have the following:

16u rack
3 - Cisco 2513 routers
2 - Cisco 2503 routers
1 - Cisco 1912 switch
1 - Endian Firewall

I want one more switch (2924EN-XL)

COKE CAN said:
I hope shipping is fast, lol.

Now I need a few more DCE/DTE cables

These are the DCE/DTE cables I just bought.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Updated the original post. I included Monoprice, which is a web site where you can get all types of cheap cables. In addition to the ISO feature navigator.

If I am serious about getting my CCNA and have a more than average experience (not a whole lot) with Cisco should I spend the money for a lab or just study?

If I am serious about getting my CCNA and have a more than average experience (not a whole lot) with Cisco should I spend the money for a lab or just study?

It's up to you. You might be able to get by with some books, since most CCNA books come with some sort of router/switch simulator. Personally, I like working with actual equipment and making the connections myself (in addition to configuring the router). I just learn better that way.

If you’re really serious, then you need some “hands on” experience.

You can gain LOTS of experience building your own lab. The equipment is NOT that expensive if you shop carefully at EBay.

Also, if you haven’t taken the current CCNA exam you will likely find it a little difficult. Learning with the real thing makes the Simlets and Testlets you get on the actual exam a peice of cake.

In fact, I can honestly say you will probably FAIL it - if you have no personal experience studying with routers and switches!:cool:

Updated the original post. I included Monoprice, which is a web site where you can get all types of cheap cables. In addition to the ISO feature navigator.

What are you using the Sun server for? And is it a V100?
I've been looking for a decent V100 for a while now.

What are you using the Sun server for? And is it a V100?
I've been looking for a decent V100 for a while now.

I was using it as a web server for a while, but the noise annoyed some other people in the house! :) Now it mostly sits, but I might reinstall Debian and try out VHCS Omega.

It's actually a Netra X1 server. The V100 has a faster processor (550mhz vs the ~440mhz on the X1) and it has a built-in cd-rom. If you are just looking for one to play around with, then the X1 may save you some time. I just use a generic CD-ROM drive when I need to install an OS, after that I just remove it.

I was using it as a web server for a while, but the noise annoyed some other people in the house! :) Now it mostly sits, but I might reinstall Debian and try out VHCS Omega.

It's actually a Netra X1 server. The V100 has a faster processor (550mhz vs the ~440mhz on the X1) and it has a built-in cd-rom. If you are just looking for one to play around with, then the X1 may save you some time. I just use a generic CD-ROM drive when I need to install an OS, after that I just remove it.

Ahh I forgot the Netras looked the same.

I'm always looking for things like that tho. If you ever want to sell it hit me up. Nive setup overall btw. ;)

Ahh I forgot the Netras looked the same.

I'm always looking for things like that tho. If you ever want to sell it hit me up. Nive setup overall btw. ;)

Thanks. I just checked Ebay, and it looks like the current Netras are going for upwards of $150. I was able to get mine for about $120 shipped. I don't think I will be selling it any time soon, you can never have to many computers!

Thanks. I just checked Ebay, and it looks like the current Netras are going for upwards of $150. I was able to get mine for about $120 shipped. I don't think I will be selling it any time soon, you can never have to many computers!

Yeah I know. ;)
I looked too, but I'm getting another dl360 next. I think.
I looked for that rack too, because I need one badly, but I couldn't find it on ebay.
But I did find this for anyone else needing a rack.

http://www.dantraknet.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=65

The racks sold on that site don't seem to have wheels, sides, etc like the one in your picture above. What gives?

**Edit**
Disregard. I was looking at a crappy picture. The other ones I looked at clearly shows the wheels. And what I thought were "sides", as in an enclosure, was just the steel frame.

Yes, as you said, the rack I have is like a mobile relay (2-post) rack. There are some small cabinets out there. Some of the HP ones are really nice. I see the 14U and 22U HP cabinets on Ebay all the time. The only problem is the price. The 14U goes for $450 and the 22U is about $750 (plus shipping for both). At those prices you might as well make some room somewhere and get a used 36U or larger cabinet.

They are nice though!

Back