Budget 4k Options: HDTV vs Monitor?

jdbst56

n00b
I've been lurking this forum since the summer, and now that black Friday is upon us, I figured I finally break down and post! I'm interested in a budget 4k display in the 32-43" range. I've seen the 43" Acer ET430k going for around $370 USD new, maybe a little less. I know of the image retention and black screen issues with this display. There isn't a lot out there in larger 4k displays without dropping a lot of cash so I wondered about a 4k HDTV instead. Would the 40/43" Samsung NU7100 be a viable option as it's in a similar price point as the ET430k? Any other options in either HDTVs or monitors I should seriously consider? My use case is strictly productivity (MS Office) along with some Youtube and surfing - no gaming. I'm mainly interested maximum real estate without going to a multi-monitor setup.

Thanks in advance!
Josh

I've been lurking this forum since the summer, and now that black Friday is upon us, I figured I finally break down and post! I'm interested in a budget 4k display in the 32-43" range. I've seen the 43" Acer ET430k going for around $370 USD new, maybe a little less. I know of the image retention and black screen issues with this display. There isn't a lot out there in larger 4k displays without dropping a lot of cash so I wondered about a 4k HDTV instead. Would the 40/43" Samsung NU7100 be a viable option as it's in a similar price point as the ET430k? Any other options in either HDTVs or monitors I should seriously consider? My use case is strictly productivity (MS Office) and surfing - no gaming. I'm mainly interested maximum real estate without going to a multi-monitor setup.

Thanks in advance!
Josh
Haven't found anything that comes close to my wasabi for productivity. I've used for office work for about 18 months and haven't longed for anything else. Unfortunately I'm moving here pretty quick and I'm not so sure I'll have the space for a deep enough desk and I doubt I can sell it because no one in SoCal will understand it's value. But my two cents, for productivity, it's a game changer. My buddy here trying Doom out and probably getting dizzy.

WASABI MANGO UHD490 REAL 4K HDMI 2.0 49" LG AH-IPS UHD 3840x2160 DP 1.2 Monitor

Attachments

• 20180729_190642.jpg
    20180729_190642.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 0
If you happen to be a Costco member, they are selling the LG 43" monitor for $400.

Sony KD43X720E ($500 currently) is another option.

Last edited:
Haven't found anything that comes close to my wasabi for productivity. I've used for office work for about 18 months and haven't longed for anything else. Unfortunately I'm moving here pretty quick and I'm not so sure I'll have the space for a deep enough desk and I doubt I can sell it because no one in SoCal will understand it's value. But my two cents, for productivity, it's a game changer. My buddy here trying Doom out and probably getting dizzy.

WASABI MANGO UHD490 REAL 4K HDMI 2.0 49" LG AH-IPS UHD 3840x2160 DP 1.2 Monitor

That does look impressive although 49" might be too much for my desk space. How does text look on it? Is it crisp enough?

A 4K TV is a good choice, as they tend to be cheaper than large sized monitors.

I would probably go 40". I had a 40" before, and I replaced it with a 55", and it's kind of intense. Great for gaming and movies, but really hard as a desktop display.

For the price, I think the Samsung is a good bet. I had the KU6300 and I really liked it. Main reason I upgraded was for FreeSync, but otherwise the TV was great.

A 4K TV is a good choice, as they tend to be cheaper than large sized monitors.

I would probably go 40". I had a 40" before, and I replaced it with a 55", and it's kind of intense. Great for gaming and movies, but really hard as a desktop display.

For the price, I think the Samsung is a good bet. I had the KU6300 and I really liked it. Main reason I upgraded was for FreeSync, but otherwise the TV was great.

Thanks for your reply. I tend to agree that 40” is probably the sweet spot for comfortably using a tv as a monitor. With that being said I was looking at the response times of the Samsung NU7100 vs the 43” TCL s405 and it seems like the tcl is 10ms better. Would this be a factor when watching videos or even doing something as simple as moving the mouse or scrolling a webpage? I thought I had seen people complain that scrolling is laggy/choppy when using these 4K TVs as monitors.

I use a TCL 43s305 and a Sony KD43X720E. For text based productivity, the Sony IPS display is much better than TCL's VA panel.

It's totally crisp at the distance in the pic I shared as you don't have to apply any scaling (and I wear glasses).

I would say for productivity and overall personal preference a 49in is the sweet spot as with a 43in with zero scaling means, by basic definition of screen size with no scaling, everything is just a hair too small for the desk you see in my pic. I think the desk is a big factor between the two (40-43 vs 49-55).

If you're in SoCal (Ventura County) you can check it out if you're close.

Back