budget 1080p monitor or a 1680x1050 monitor?

Mastakill

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I need to compose a new pc for my brother and i'm still doubting a bit about the monitor...

he is a lot less picky then me, but still i'd like to choose him something nice for the money

I've noticed that there are a couple of very cheap 1080p monitors for sale in the EU and I wonder if one of them is a bit ok...
If not I will try to find a nice 1680x1050 20" or 22"...

These are 1080p monitors I found that have an interesting price (sub 200 euro):

Acer X223HQb
Acer H223HQbmid
Iiyama ProLite E2208HDS-1
BenQ E2200HD
LG W2261V-PF

The monitor will be mainly used for browsing, youtube, etc
He might use it a little for gaming and tv, but i expect that he will mainly use his 32" CRT TV for this... (perhaps if the LCD is really "that good", he will use it more for that...)
He also has an xbox 360, but I also expect that this will be better on his 32" CRT TV... (but who knows...)
He will not do colour critical photo stuff, but a little realism doesnt hurt I suppose ;)

So what do you think? should i go for one of these el cheapo 1080p monitors? or should I find a decent 1680x1050 LCD? (havent really investigated those yet)

Btw:
If he decides to do a little pc gaming, then a reasonable scaler would be nice to have... Because he will also have a pretty cheap videocard (~100 euro) that won't like 1080p very much ;)

does no one have experience with one of those 5 monitors?

the must have upsides and downsides like all other monitors? :p

are they worse then similarly priced 1680x1050 LCDs?

if I had the extra money, I'd go with benq... I don't have one though.. so my comment is probably irrelevant

I have that one and it is great for normal web usage. It is ok for TV but the black levels are as expected from the price class.
just had a look at the black level of the E2200HD in the anand review and it doesn't seem to bad... (compared to the others offcourse, it still is an LCD :p)

it doesnt list the Iiyama though... Do you think the Iiyama is worse then?

Back