BTX PSU Upgrade for video card?

xBanzai89

Supreme [H]ardness
I got someone wanting to upgrade their video card. This is his computer from Gateway and a "700W PSU". I think this computer follows the BTX form factor, so I do not know if it will have issues fitting an ATX PSU. I have searched the net, but found contradictory info on this, so any help is great. If he can't upgrade the PSU should it be ok for a 6850 or 6870?

As far as I am aware, BTX still uses the same form factor power supplies as ATX, from my experience Gateway desktops with that particular chassis are compatible with ATX power supplies.

As for the current power supply in that computer, even if it was optimistically rated (I doubt it) it should do just fine with any single GPU config out there. Delta power supplies tend to be good quality.

No need to upgrade, it's a decent Delta unit that will run pretty much any single GPU system..

ed. +1 skruideli

Ah I see. I had no idea delta was considered good quality thanks for the insight :D. This will run a 6950/GTX 560 Ti with no issues? He has a $400 budget, but he is only at 1920x1200, so he really doesn't need a GTX 570 and that QX6700 may hold him back a bit.

Ah I see. I had no idea delta was considered good quality thanks for the insight :D. This will run a 6950/GTX 560 Ti with no issues? He has a $400 budget, but he is only at 1920x1200, so he really doesn't need a GTX 570 and that QX6700 may hold him back a bit.

Delta makes some of the best quality units on the market, Antec HCP for example... and yeah, he shouldn't have any PSU related issues with this upgrade.. but honestly, he'll be better off selling that LGA 775 rig and moving to SandyB considering he already has 400$ to spend..

Thanks I know that now at least. I do not know how open he is to selling the rig to be honest. The QX6700 isn't any slouch and can still keep up with modern games anyway. Video card can be put in a new system when he wants to at least.

Have that same PSU. Thing is built like a tank and should have no trouble with the aforementioned cards.

Back