BSODs When Win10 VM is launched in Hyper-V

fatryan

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been using a Win10 VM to work from home - installed in Hyper-V on my Win10 host - and just a couple days ago I started getting BSODs out of nowhere when I would connect the VM. At first, it only seemed to happen when I was using Space Desk to add additional monitors, but then it began happening regardless of whether or not I used Space Desk. Now I cannot get any Windows VMs to launch at all. The odd thing is that I can launch a linux VM without any issues. I just finished rebuilding a new Win10 VM from scratch, and THIS is the result...

1599173169053.png

It just gets frozen here. No BSOD as of yet, but also no useable VM. No matter how many times I shut it down and re-connect, I dont get past this fuzzy screen. I'm thinking this is somehow related to Enhanced Session, since my Linux VM launches fine (there's no enhanced session mode for linux VMs). I don't know how this happened or how to fix it.

I've already tried the following things:
1) Restore to oldest point (9/1)
2) Uninstall everything I recently installed and thensome
3) Run Windows in diagnostic mode & run Diagnostic Data Viewer (I see lots of issues with ledkeeper.exe and scanner.service.exe, so I uninstalled Dragon Center and Repaired Stablebit, respectively)
4) Check for updated drivers on most devices
5) Revert O&O ShutUp10 to stock settings
6) Disabled then Re-enabled Hyper-V feature in Windows 10
7) Reboot 8,000,000 times
8) Disconnect my AverMedia Live Gamer 4k capture card that Ive been messing around with the last couple days (still in PCIe slot, but nothing connected to HDMI)

The last #8 has been the only real change in my system lately, but the changes have been almost entirely external (card has been installed for a few weeks). I was re-configuring the HDMI cables to get my audio capture working. No new software or drivers around the time this all began. I'm at a loss here. Only other thing I can think to do is rebuild, but that will be a HUUUUGE fucking nightmare. I have so much shit configured on this thing now, and Im so afraid to fuck it all up. I have a bunch of software, a couple VMs, Snapraid & Stablebit drive pools, multiple scripts, registry changes and group policies to "fix" windows...just so much crap that would take me days to set back up. Rebuilding is my absolute last resort.

Does anyone have any clue what could be going on here? Suggestions of things to try?

Last edited:
Try other VM tools (Virtualbox on Win10 nowadays uses the Hyper-V backend, so they are compatible with one another) or just start removing HW from the VM config. Both methods are just trying to see if it's just a simple configuration error.

Can you get any logs from the VM itself?

I'm basically assuming it's a guest issue and not a host issue. If it's a host issue, do you have another host to test that guest out?

Try other VM tools (Virtualbox on Win10 nowadays uses the Hyper-V backend, so they are compatible with one another) or just start removing HW from the VM config. Both methods are just trying to see if it's just a simple configuration error.

Can you get any logs from the VM itself?

I'm basically assuming it's a guest issue and not a host issue. If it's a host issue, do you have another host to test that guest out?
I've tried VB in the past and couldn't get it to run right, but I've been considering it again lately due to annoyances with the limitations on multi-monitor support in hyper-V (if I'm not mistaken, VB is more flexible). But I have been reluctant to try again due to the last experience. I don't think there's many other options besides VB. VMWare workstation is the only other one i know of that's type 2, but my understanding is that it's pretty limited feature-wise.

I've been debating going full on type 1 hypervisor, and installing my main Windows as a VM, but i don't think I'll have the hardware support needed for the video editing and capturing i do on this thing. I also need support for software raid from a sas hba So that's like way way way last resort, if even possible at all for my use case.

I'm not sure what you mean by remove hw from guest. This is all one machine. Do you mean remove hw from the host? As in pull the capture card i just installed a couple weeks ago? I haven't tried that yet as it seems unlikely that the card is the issue considering it worked fine for 1-2 weeks. I'll probably still try that if all else fails.

Not sure about logs. Where would the hyper-v logs be stored?

At the moment I'm "upgrading" windows. That is effectively like repairing the windows installation from my understanding. I assume it's loading build 2004, was on 1909 previously. This is basically the last step before a fresh install. The amount of work required to reinstall is making my head spin, so i hope to God this works.

Last edited:
w.r.t. removing HW from guest, I mean stripping down the VM to bare minimum HW.

1599182117085.png

But looking at mine, it does seem Hyper-V doesn't have a lot of stuff to change or remove, after initial configuration. I was more thinking of USB controllers, chipset, etc, but none of that is available in Hyper-V o.0

The logs I was thinking about really came down to logs inside of the guest. Is it possible to boot into safe mode (in the guest) and check the event logs to see what's causing the failed boots?

EDIT: and yes, if you're willing to go all the way crazy, you can do a VFIO VM. Or maybe something like Davinci Resolve will work for you in video editing, and you can just go full linux for certain things.

w.r.t. removing HW from guest, I mean stripping down the VM to bare minimum HW.

View attachment 276038
But looking at mine, it does seem Hyper-V doesn't have a lot of stuff to change or remove, after initial configuration. I was more thinking of USB controllers, chipset, etc, but none of that is available in Hyper-V o.0

The logs I was thinking about really came down to logs inside of the guest. Is it possible to boot into safe mode (in the guest) and check the event logs to see what's causing the failed boots?
1 hour of upgrading, and all i got was Skype reinstalled :-| Absolutely no change to this problem. Didn't even get rid of old shortcuts stuck in my start menu.

I deleted the original VM and built a brand new one earlier this evening, so I've ruled out anything with the VM config. And yes, as you already stated, there's not really much to configure in Hyper-v. It's pretty straightforward and simple.

I can get into the VM, so long as i don't use enhanced session. Where are these logs i need to look at?

Logs aside, seems like my remaining options are:
1) Try VB again and say fuck it to hyper-v
2) pull the card and/or other cards and pray for a miracle
3) rebuild from ground up.

One other thing that i just thought of is related to windows features. I had to toggle a feature unrelated to hypervisors, and I'm wondering if i inadvertently hit another toggle by mistake. I remember being unsure if i did that the other day. Are you aware of any windows features that could cause this kind of behavior if toggled on or off accidently?

This is what my features options look like now, if this helps at all. I never use these things other than to turn on hyper-v or .Net framework, so I don't even know what 99% of these do.
1599183131472.png

1599183519316.png

The Features you listed look okay for Hyper-V use, to me.

If you use the quick create in Hyper-V manager
1599183558235.png

does that prepackaged, premade VM also fail?

EDIT: if you want to try VB or newer VMWare with Hyper-V enabled, you must also enable "Windows Hypervisor Platform." Unrelated to the current problem, but just something for potential future use.

EDIT2: any new printers, since that apparently is a possibility.

View attachment 276044

The Features you listed look okay for Hyper-V use, to me.

If you use the quick create in Hyper-V manager View attachment 276045
does that prepackaged, premade VM also fail?

EDIT: if you want to try VB or newer VMWare with Hyper-V enabled, you must also enable "Windows Hypervisor Platform." Unrelated to the current problem, but just something for potential future use.

EDIT2: any new printers, since that apparently is a possibility.
Yes! Well, not a new printer, but I did add my wife's HP printer because my stupid fucking Epson wont work unless I agree to their forced arbitration agreement. Anyway, I was trying to get the damn HP installed, and nothing was working. I installed all the HP software and drivers to no avail. Eventually I got it working buy re-enabling microsoft store and installing the HP app. Ive since uninstalled all printers though, so not sure what that means...

I had no idea that quick create option could do these premade VMs! I'm installing the Win 10 E one now, so we'll see how that goes. Though like I was saying before, the original Win 10 Pro VM I had was identical to my original which used to work fine.

Ill also take a look in Event Viewer, but to be honest I dont really know what any of that stuff means. It would just be me googling error codes for days.

[...]
Ill also take a look in Event Viewer, but to be honest I dont really know what any of that stuff means. It would just be me googling error codes for days.
I mean, that's what I do to solve things. I didn't do any of that for this, since I am assuming you've already done all of the easy Googling.

Specifically, the printer thing was a claim that automatically passing through RDP printers via Enhanced Session could be buggy, but I honestly didn't read much into that. I do agree, printers and printer SW are abnormally frustrating to deal with.

I mean, that's what I do to solve things. I didn't do any of that for this, since I am assuming you've already done all of the easy Googling.

Specifically, the printer thing was a claim that automatically passing through RDP printers via Enhanced Session could be buggy, but I honestly didn't read much into that. I do agree, printers and printer SW are abnormally frustrating to deal with.
Honestly, Ive never solved a single problem looking in Event Viewer. I google the error codes and dont understand the explanations 90% of the time. The other 10% I get nothing useful. I think its a joke, frankly. Its clearly not made for the typical Windows user.

I was not trying to pass the printer at all, just trying to get it to work on the host. And even that I was having a hell of a time with.

This quick create doesnt seem to want to install. It downloaded the files, but its been stuck at 0% install for like 10 minutes.

Jesus Christ...I figured it out. Or rather, I found it out. Its a fucking bug with this Windows build that causes the login screen to freeze on enhanced session mode when you use Windows Hello sign-in...which is required by default when you setup Windows. All I had to do was sign in under basic mode, deactivate Windows Hello, then I can use enhanced session mode! So I guess this didnt solve the BSOD issue, but that seems to have been solved by one of the previous things I did since I havent seen one yet. *knocks on wood*

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...cd3-cfeb-4cdd-9adf-aabc6d744bdc?auth=1&page=6

Fucking Microsoft :banghead:

I figured it out! Or rather, I found it out. Its a bug with this Windows build that causes the login screen to freeze on enhanced session mode when you use Windows Hello sign-in...which is required by default when you setup Windows. All I had to do was sign in under basic mode, deactivate Windows Hello, then I can use enhanced session mode! So I guess this didnt solve the BSOD issue, but that seems to have been solved by one of the previous things I did since I havent seen one yet. *knocks on wood*

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...cd3-cfeb-4cdd-9adf-aabc6d744bdc?auth=1&page=6

Microsoft :banghead:
FIFY

Yeah the last couple of updates have had some issues. I've been running into some strange stuff as well.
Also have had a few profiles corrupt. There are times you wish you could be like Linux and never upgrade. But then again it you don't you get more vulnerable.

Thanks for posting the problem. That might end up helping someone else out. Wonder if that is the problem I have been having with another client where they can't connect remotely because of the login screen. have to check if its the same issue.

FIFY

Yeah the last couple of updates have had some issues. I've been running into some strange stuff as well.
Also have had a few profiles corrupt. There are times you wish you could be like Linux and never upgrade. But then again it you don't you get more vulnerable.

Thanks for posting the problem. That might end up helping someone else out. Wonder if that is the problem I have been having with another client where they can't connect remotely because of the login screen. have to check if its the same issue.
I'd forgot that I just got an update to Windows. Windows has been relatively transparent lately. Or at least the issues they have are so glaringly obvious that theyre forced to be transparent. Not in this case though.

Now my Windows license for the VM is shot too, so I need to fix that. I dont know the "proper" way to deactivate a license in a VM. But at least I should be able to use the VM for now since MS doesn't care.

Just for shits and giggles, I just spent the last 30min trying to run a script in Kali and Windows Powershell that would enable enhanced session in Kali. Not only did it not work, it changed my Kali login credentials lol. Oh well, I only installed Kali to mess around anyway. *delete*

Jesus Christ...I figured it out. Or rather, I found it out. Its a fucking bug with this Windows build that causes the login screen to freeze on enhanced session mode when you use Windows Hello sign-in...which is required by default when you setup Windows. All I had to do was sign in under basic mode, deactivate Windows Hello, then I can use enhanced session mode! So I guess this didnt solve the BSOD issue, but that seems to have been solved by one of the previous things I did since I havent seen one yet. *knocks on wood*

Fucking Microsoft :banghead:
LOL for some reason the first moment I heard about 'Windows Hello' I felt 'in your face, sucker!'. I was right it seems.

LOL for some reason the first moment I heard about 'Windows Hello' I felt 'in your face, sucker!'. I was right it seems.
Microsoft seriously needs to stop trying to be "cool", and just needs to make the corporate OS we all want and need.

Back