BSOD x 100 an hour

Heys guys, i've been having BSOD's with this computer for a loooong time but it was never very frequent so i never actually bothered. But lately ive been having them very constantly. They vary between page_fault, service exceptions, IRQL stuff and kernel stuff, even had a ati something something (Something to do with the graphics card?). I know people diagnose BSOD's through minidumps and i know where the folder is i just dont know what to do with them, Would someone help me out, ill start posting minidump once i figure out how to open them! Also im using wins 10 and even tho it could be the problem, it isnt. Its giving me the same bsods i had with win 8.1. And im running a fresh install (2 days) because i thought id give it a try at a clean install to see if the bsods would stop. They obviously didnt!

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Jay, are you talking about the windows memory diagnose tool? The one that checks the memory before windows initiate? If so im going to run it now. I need to mention, ive tested every memory stick individually but it bsod in every one of them (I have 4x2gb gskill ripjaw 1600mhz modules)

Edit: Right after i posted this i had 2 bsods. A memoty management one and an NTFS one

Edit 2: Here are the results from the last two memory checks,

XwfWfE6.png

Last edited:
A bad PSU will give you random errors. Do you ever need to press the power button more than once to start the computer?

Sorry didnt know what it was, i runned the test tho:

10850420_755578284522488_565625316_n.jpg

Now run it 25 more passes. Actually obtain memtest86+ and turn on the multithreaded mode and run it over a weekend. 1 pass is not good at detecting marginal ram.

Last edited:
you people asking for help should really post all the hardware you pc is put together with.....jeez give people something to work with:) just for shits and giggles when was your last fresh windows install? reason i ask is just one bad crash can corrupt data in your os.....not always but sometimes.....could be a bios setting set wrong as well as voltages come to mind but we need your hardware specs to go further so please list them all (for all we know your using an 18 dollar power supply) just saying;)

Last edited:
25 passes? Jezz o_O

I never need to press the power button twice, and it never crashed while at load (playing bf4 for example, it never crashed while gaming, just on random things), and i had the CPU at 4.3 just recently, im running it stock because i tried to reset BIOS setting to default to see if the BSOD would stop. But they didnt!

I fresh installed win 10 64 bits, 3 days ago.

Spec wise: 2500k @ stock, asrock z77 Pro3, R9 290X TRI X, 4x2gb Ripjaw 1600mhz, Samsung 840 120gb, WD 500GB BLACK, Corsair GS 600W.

Ill run the 25 passes as soon as i can, but can you guys tell me how to open the minidump so that i can show you guys to diagnose my problem better?

Last edited:
I fresh installed win 10 64 bits, 3 days ago.

So you think your stability is going to improve by going from a known problematic OS (8.1) to a pre-release alpha version? LOL!

Most likely some Win8 update porked your computer. Try reinstalling that as a first thing.

win8 update porked what? wut the hell, i freshed installed win 10 and i previously had win 10. I've had it for about a month now. And like i said, i have the Same Exact BSODs in win 8.1, so maybe its not a OS problem but a hardware problem or even a driver one

win8 update porked what? wut the hell, i freshed installed win 10 and i previously had win 10. I've had it for about a month now. And like i said, i have the Same Exact BSODs in win 8.1, so maybe its not a OS problem but a hardware problem or even a driver one

definitely sounds hardware related...running build 9910 myself and haven't noticed any instability from using it...Can you give us any info as to when the crashes started? Was it ever stable? Hows the temps? voltage rails ok? is it possible you have the cpu undervolted or one of your bios settings needs adjusting? That power supply could be defective but i would try reseating all devices on the board, video card, cpu, memory, any add in cards and if that doesn't help try removing all but one stick of ram. something might be seated 99% or the way and will work but can cause crashes...just some ideas to try

try setting BIOS to XPM ....seemed to work for a guy in this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/317828-30-need-bios-setting-khx1600c9d3k2-asrock-pro3

Im not a 100% sure, ive had this problem for more then a couple of months. The temps were always fine, even when i had the CPU OC'ed. How do i know if the voltage rails are ok? I dont have any measuring equipment for that. And im running completely stock settings @ bios, in fact i tried the latest beta driver from asrock but it still didn't solve it (Flashed it 2 hours ago, one BSOD since).

I tried removing the GPU, still blue screened, tried every stick of ram and bsod on every last one. I was running a secondary monitor off my motherboard, disconnected that and still it blue screened, even disabled it (igpu) on the BIOS and nothing.

I took my cpu off last month and cleaned the contacts with an eraser but it still bsod before and after, i have sufficient thermal paste in there too so no problem there temp wise.

Tomorrow ill re seat the CPU even tho its been on and off for the last couple of months and its been BSOD'ing long before that.

I dont know what XPM is but ill go check the BIOS for that.

The last 3 BSOD's i had were different from the rest: "attempted execute of noexecute memory" - "PFN List Corrupt" and one that ended differently "driver irql not less or equal (ndis.sys)" normally its just "driver irql not less or equal"

One last thing, can someone please tell me how to move the minidump files? I cant move them to dropbox because i have no permission, ive searched every where and cant find any decent answer!! I want to provide you guys with the dmp's before having to render my pc useless for two days to run memtest!

Edit: Had another new BSOD "System Thread Exception Not Handled (FLTMGR.SYS)". Ive put the only XMP profile that was there but i think its the same as the AUTO one, no settings changed!

Edit 2: New one "Bad Pool Caller"

Last edited:
Yeah, with so many different causes, it's gotta be a hardware problem somewhere. Dump files probably won't be too helpful, since each BSOD is different from the others.

Unfortunately, it could be anything. Even a failing SSD will often cause weird issues like this. Probably not memory since memtest is clean. Defective CPU/mobo/PSU will also cause symptoms exactly like this, and the only way to narrow it down is to replace and see what happens. Good thing is that it happens often, so wouldn't take long to find, bad thing is that it's way too expensive unless you've got a donor system you can trade parts between.

Couple simple things to check are voltage readings in the BIOS, check for damaged pins on mobo CPU socket, and boot a Linux live CD to confirm the same sorts of random crashes still occur. Can also run Event Viewer in Windows and check the System and Application logs for other errors. If it's something like a failing drive, then you might see errors in the System log related to Disk/ATAPI/IAStor errors. But I kinda lean away from the disk errors, since those usually manifest as program crashes and Windows errors, not random BSODs.

If the voltage levels in the BIOS are stable and within spec, I'd probably lean towards mobo and the CPU as the culprit. Bent pins in the CPU socket could definitely cause this sorts of stuff, depending on what pin it is. Had a PC here in the office that was doing similar stuff, and I found a couple damaged pins that I was able to fix with some tiny tools and a bench microscope. Been fine ever since.

Heys guys, i've been having BSOD's with this computer for a loooong time but it was never very frequent so i never actually bothered. But lately ive been having them very constantly. They vary between page_fault, service exceptions, IRQL stuff and kernel stuff, even had a ati something something (Something to do with the graphics card?). I know people diagnose BSOD's through minidumps and i know where the folder is i just dont know what to do with them, Would someone help me out, ill start posting minidump once i figure out how to open them! Also im using wins 10 and even tho it could be the problem, it isnt. Its giving me the same bsods i had with win 8.1. And im running a fresh install (2 days) because i thought id give it a try at a clean install to see if the bsods would stop. They obviously didnt!

Cheers
Im not a 100% sure, ive had this problem for more then a couple of months. The temps were always fine, even when i had the CPU OC'ed. How do i know if the voltage rails are ok? I dont have any measuring equipment for that. And im running completely stock settings @ bios, in fact i tried the latest beta driver from asrock but it still didn't solve it (Flashed it 2 hours ago, one BSOD since).

I tried removing the GPU, still blue screened, tried every stick of ram and bsod on every last one. I was running a secondary monitor off my motherboard, disconnected that and still it blue screened, even disabled it (igpu) on the BIOS and nothing.

I took my cpu off last month and cleaned the contacts with an eraser but it still bsod before and after, i have sufficient thermal paste in there too so no problem there temp wise.

Tomorrow ill re seat the CPU even tho its been on and off for the last couple of months and its been BSOD'ing long before that.

I dont know what XPM is but ill go check the BIOS for that.

The last 3 BSOD's i had were different from the rest: "attempted execute of noexecute memory" - "PFN List Corrupt" and one that ended differently "driver irql not less or equal (ndis.sys)" normally its just "driver irql not less or equal"

One last thing, can someone please tell me how to move the minidump files? I cant move them to dropbox because i have no permission, ive searched every where and cant find any decent answer!! I want to provide you guys with the dmp's before having to render my pc useless for two days to run memtest!

Edit: Had another new BSOD "System Thread Exception Not Handled (FLTMGR.SYS)". Ive put the only XMP profile that was there but i think its the same as the AUTO one, no settings changed!

Edit 2: New one "Bad Pool Caller"

1. List out your hardware. We are shooting in the dark if we don't know where to begin. Of special importance is memory configuration, especially voltage and timings. Shit quality SSD's have been known to cause these issues too, albeit not as likely as other scenarios.
2. Back down all of your overclocks to stock speeds until you find the problem, they will only make the problem worse.
3. Next time you get a BSOD, try and write down more info, especially the first hex code number before the first comma... 0x00000000 and so on. Google that number and anything else you find relevant on that page.
4. Run memtest86 for 24 hours while all devices are at stock clocks (CPU, memory, GPU), default memory voltage, default memory timing.

In my experience:
-IRQ related BSOD tend to be cpu overclock or motherboard settings related
-System Thread Exception BSOD tend to be cpu overclock related
-Kernel related BSOD tend to be issues with memory overclock, bad memory in general, bad hard drive, or bad settings on motherboard related anything memory/storage
-ATI BSOD's are very specific to your graphics card. Either bad drivers, bad overclock, or PCIe bus related

The first three BSOD's aren't definitive, just my experience. The ATI one is most certainly graphics card issue.

Every one of these BSOD's have one thing in common, overclocking. So again, back off your overclocks to stock speed on everything. Then re-assess. Once its stable, start overclocking one thing at a time until you find instability again.

My money is a bad CPU overclock or bad CPU voltage settings, and since the memory controller and PCIe controller are on the CPU, you are seeing memory, storage, and graphics subsystem related BSOD's also. If it's still happening at default settings, then its more likely the motherboard causing the issue, be it bios settings or just a bad board in general.

Last edited:
before you start do the long reset the bios function...unplug it, take battery out, move proper jumper for a few min and hold the power buttton a few times then put it all back it reverse order

try underclocking the ram in the bios as well keeping it in xmp profile....i know you have 1600 ram but try in the next setting down and try raising most voltages a tad including the rams....i think you have a very finicky mb and its just a matter of finding what settings it likes....even though your not overclocking...sometimes bios defaults won't run stable....if you could take pics of as many bios pages as possible we can provide more direct changes to try (i just don't know the options in your bios) but if you have cstates, turbo, speedstep, any kind of spread spectrum stuff and also disable as many integrated functions as possible......i think we can get your board stable since you have done a lot of troubleshooting steps already....it may be as simple as the board under volts the ram and or cpu to much with default settings or it some how sets the ram timings wrong....we can even try slightly underclocking the cpu.........i really think we can get it 100% stable once we find the settings the bios doesn't like.......

matter of fact...take on of the ram sticks out or find the package or link on a different pc and make sure all the timings are set correctly....you can fire up cpu-z and go to ram tab and see if the board has set the times according to what the ram is rated for...its possible that auto or xmp gets the ram timings wrong and thats all it would take to make your life hell....this i would look very close at

cpuz should be able to tell you your rams spd or correct settings and what your pc has them currently set to....if these numbers don't match thats probably the issue and you will have to manually set it correctly in the bios...some boards (asus) not asrock auto set the timings very well...some do not...so check it first thing

Last edited:
Capture_zpsc47cbec2.png
[/URL][/IMG]
we mainly need the memory and spd tab but the others can be very helpful as well please post this info before you get started...you can also double check all your memory as same model and type cause if not that would cause the issues as well (even just a different revision) and while in bios dont forget to check or take pictures of voltages...in this case specifically the dram voltage...since cpuz does not know what you have it set to.

I can also recommend hwinfo64 for displaying all voltages and temps and even voltage rails(depending on the board you need a cheap multimeter to check those to be sure) but since you removed the biggest power draw (amd 290) and it didn't help, i think the rails are most likely fine and leads back to memory spd timings as well as memory speed

Last edited:
First thing go into the BIOS and load fail safe defaults.Make sure nothing is under/over clocked.Try to disconnect any device except monitor and keyboard/mouse and check.

Try booting the computer with a linux live cd and see if it still keeps crashing. Rules out hard drive problems and some windows driver problems.

A bad PSU will create you all sorts of random crashes.

Ok guys, so many things to try and so many opinions, let me start with something easy!

If someone could check some of the minidump i would appreciate it, might have some clue in there!

ZIP FILE

And the cpu-z shots.

wKmEZ7U.png

One thing tho, i tried removing one of the rams, im going to take each one off again to see if i can narrow down a faulty stick before i need to run memtest!

Secondly, i included the graphics card tab because i thought it was weird that it was only showing 2.1gb when its a 4gb R9 290x card, wth is wrong with that?

My specs:

Intel i5 2500k Completly stock!
4x2gb DDR 3 Gskill Ripjaw 1600mhz
Asrock Z77 Pro 3 Motherboard (Latest BIOS, Beta one tho)
Sapphire R9 290X Tri-x Completly Stock!
Samsung 840 120gb SSD (Status GOOD in samsung magician software) My C: Drive.
WD Black 500Gb Game installation Drive.
Seagate 320gb Single Plate HDD (from 2007, use it for downloads only)
Corsair GS 600w

Edit: I runned the default uefi settings again, so its totally stock again. Here are the settings:

10863476_756536427760007_1223202137_n.jpg

10859529_756536437760006_471046044_n.jpg

10877530_756536457760004_1729639460_n.jpg

10846535_756536471093336_1035904561_n.jpg

10859762_756536487760001_205985811_n.jpg

Last edited:
my first thought is you need to manually set the vcore higher to say 1.3 volts and see if that stabilizes it cause im not sure .95volts is anywhere enough to make it stable and from what i can read up on 1.3 is well under perfectly safe condictions

Last edited:
Prime, the vcore is variable, it puts out has much as needed, it goes way higher then .95v, and i've had way higher then 1.3 when i had it overclocked, it was stable on prime95 testing but the pc still BSOD.

I removed one of the ram sticks and have been testing for the past 2 days, the bsod randomness was cut by half but i still had two!

Ok my next idea is to disable SATA Aggressive Link Power Management since a few google searches seemed to fix simulare boards. Please try this and report back, if that doesn't help well try another idea.Best of luck...One of us here will get it sorted. My other idea is trying it with only one stick of ram at a time....sorry if you already tried this....also try uping the dram voltage just a slight bit.

I also think it could be ram timings not being set correctly (some brands auto set better than others) the xmp setting has 2 profiles also i believe...could try the other profile an see if it makes any difference....some people swear by manually setting them since there might not be a correct auto profile for the sticks your using....hopefully one of these ideas fixes your issues:D

Last edited:
Some have a very busy life im sure.....eh just trying to help if possible:)

Ive been re testing the ramos, apparently one kit of rams was causing the bsods, let's see if they really do stop.

Back