BSOD thanks to "ntoskrnl.exe", but only in COD

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
I've OCed my 950 to 4.0 GHz with 1.27V and my GTX470 to 725 MHz using ASUS Precision, and now when I play COD4, I get BSOD with reference to "ntoskrnl.exe". I hear that has something to do with the kernel. Below is the data pulled from WhoCrashed and my crash log.

Could it just be voltage? Strange that it happens only during this game.

Code:
On Mon 5/30/2011 03:13:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\052911-10077-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7FD00) 
Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0x131A7, 0x80D00003288F3867, 0xFFFFF8800318C9D0, 0x0)
Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware. 
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

Last edited:
Lol,COD4 is extremely sensitive to OC from my experience.I can play a few hours straight of Crysis,pass a few stability test but it gives me BSOD just within 2 minutes of playing COD4.

Lol,COD4 is extremely sensitive to OC from my experience.I can play a few hours straight of Crysis,pass a few stability test but it gives me BSOD just within 2 minutes of playing COD4.

Yeah, you're probably right about that. I had my 470 set pretty high, so I dialed it back a little bit and was able to play longer without a crash. I think I'll leave it here hahaha

Honestly, I'm having the same problem with my rig. I have the same video card and processor. Once I hit 3.5, my video becomes unstable. BSOD errors: 116 almost every time with the same driver you listed. I can disable the nvidia drivers and clock up to 4.5 with no problem. I'm still working on a solution. I have an approved RMA, but I'm going to play around with this card a bit longer before I assume it's broken.

What is your voltage at on your GPU?

What's your multiplier? I couldn't run at 200×20 but I could run just fine at 200×21! I read around that the x20 multiplier sometimes doesn't work good on these chips.

My 200×20 situation was, I'd pass IntelBurnTest just fine but playing games would cause me to crash; I'd basically test by playing Crysis and I could expect a crash within 10 minutes of playing.

What is your voltage at on your GPU?

I OCed the 470 higher when I had a crash, and have since brought it back down to 700 MHz. I'm not sure where the GPU voltage is found in GPU-Z, but the only voltage figure I see is 0.975V VDDC.

My CPU multiplier is 21, as I haven't changed it from the default setting. I also read somewhere that odd number multipliers can be more stable than even numbers. I can't confirm, but I think someone else has. I have yet to up my Bclk higher to find my absolute stable limit, but I don't think it'll be very good for games.

Back