BSOD playing Halo...caused by nv4_disp.dll

blink182prj

Weaksauce
So, after playing Halo for about 5 minutes I get a BSOD and, obviously, the game locks up. I am running an XFX GeForce 6600GT with no overclocking or any tweaks. I have heard that this card has a problem with the HSF coming loose and breaking the theermal bond,leading to overheats. Not sure if that is the problem because I can run 3DMark05 just fine with no BSODs. Anyway, I posted the mini dump file here . If someone with some knowledge could take a look at that, I would much appreciate it.

What motherboard are you running? I had a similar problem recently.

Sorry, some added specs:

DFI nF4 Ultra-D
XP Professional
2x512 Corsair XMS PC3200
74 GB WD Raptor
AMD Winchester 3500+
nVidia driver 71.89

Your nvidia driver A/V'd. Can you try it again with the latest driver from nvidia?

I'd also be curious to see what powersupply you are using. I've heard that happening to people because of a lack of decent power to the graphics card.

Maybe... I would be suprised, since the driver accessed memory it wasn't supposed too, which usually implies a driver issue.

Well, I am using 71.89 from nvidia, which is the latest driver. I will try rolling back to another driver later, just to see. It is interesting that you say that the driver accessed memory it wasn't supposed to because when I try to run 3DMark05 in Demo mode it says something about the card "running out of memory." I'll do the full driver cleaner regimen when I get back and get back to you guys.

sipher said:
I'd also be curious to see what powersupply you are using. I've heard that happening to people because of a lack of decent power to the graphics card.

I have a Fortron Source 500W Blue Storm which is ATX2.0 compliant, so I doubt that power is the problem...but thank you anyway!

blink182prj said:
Well, I am using 71.89 from nvidia, which is the latest driver. I will try rolling back to another driver later, just to see. It is interesting that you say that the driver accessed memory it wasn't supposed to because when I try to run 3DMark05 in Demo mode it says something about the card "running out of memory." I'll do the full driver cleaner regimen when I get back and get back to you guys.
Don't know about that but the driver DeReferenced NULL.

Example of Code:
LPWSTR szNullPointer = NULL;
wout << szNullPointer; <-- Will A/V

Thanks for the help everyone. I uninstalled all the nForce drivers and reinstalled them, including 7.89 display driver again and everything is working peachy. Thanks again!

Back