BSOD on Dell Optiplex 745 Windows 7 install

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
This past weekend I was trying to install Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Optiplex 745 and I had some problems. I got thru the majority of the install without any issues, I picked the time zone, named the PC, put in the COA and then shortly after I got a BSOD (pictured below). I've rebooted multiple times, and even tried the install again but cant seem to figure this out.

Dell+BSOD.jpg

I did a bit of googling to try to get some more info about the issue. But the more I look the more possible causes I find. I've found possible causes as everything from an outdated BIOS, to bad memory, to bad HD, to the CMOS needing reset.

So I was hoping that someone here would be able to give me some additional info and point me in the right direction to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

I used to have these in my office till we tossed them in the dump.

3 out of 5 units had blown capacitors on the motherboard.

I'd also swap memory sticks.

Lastly, try installing Windows 7 via USB stick instead of DVD.

Thanks LoStMaTt. Yeah, this probably wouldnt be my first choice for a PC, but it was pretty much given to me.

I didnt notice any blown capacitors, but I'll look at the mobo again this evening. And I'll start with switching out the memory and then post back with any results. Thanks again.

I did a bit of googling to try to get some more info about the issue. But the more I look the more possible causes I find. I've found possible causes as everything from an outdated BIOS, to bad memory, to bad HD, to the CMOS needing reset.

Have you checked any of them?

Not yet. I started working on this late yesterday and put things on hold last night after the BSOD's. I did the googling this morning when I got to work, so I wont be able to test any of them out until this evening when I get home. I just wanted to get a bit of direction since it seemed that every google entry suggested a different "solution".

Pay close attention to the caps on around the processor. Those are the ones that usually get nice and bulging.

I'd move on to a memtest after that. Those are two really easy tests that will narrow down a lot of potential problems.

Ok, so I did a bit of work last night. I wasnt able to eliminate the PC from getting the BSOD, but I hopefully eliminated some things as possible causes.

I switched out the memory and still got the BSOD. I tried 2 different HD's and after going thru the Windows 7 install process with both of the drives it BSOD'd at the same point each time. One of the links I saw yesterday said a possible cause could be an outdated BIOS. So I figured I'd try to update the BIOS to the most recent version, the PC currently has 2.0.8 and the current BIOS out there is 2.6.6. I've never updated BIOS without having an OS running on a machine. So my thought was to try to install XP, update the bios, clear the drive and then see if Windows 7 would install. I know it seems like a lot of steps, but I figured that it'd be worth it if it worked. (I did search around a bit for a BIOS file to make a bootable disk, but wasnt able to find a BIOS ISO file out there for the Optiplex 745). But during the XP install it showed 37 minutes remaining and it "hung" for over an hour without any progress. So I canceled the install and called it a night!!!

It doesnt seem to be looking good.

Did you look for swollen caps on the mother board?
Very popular failure on dell workstations.

One of the links I saw yesterday said a possible cause could be an outdated BIOS. So I figured I'd try to update the BIOS to the most recent version, the PC currently has 2.0.8 and the current BIOS out there is 2.6.6. I've never updated BIOS without having an OS running on a machine. So my thought was to try to install XP, update the bios, clear the drive and then see if Windows 7 would install.

For Dells you typically need to make a DOS bootable floppy or USB stick. Go here.

BIOS downloads are available here.

Branded computers give me shivers - and not in a good way.

Did you look for swollen caps on the mother board?
Very popular failure on dell workstations.

I havnt looked at the caps yet. I should have some time this evening to look at the PC again. That'll be the first thing that I look for.

For Dells you typically need to make a DOS bootable floppy or USB stick. Go here.

BIOS downloads are available here.

Hmm, I didnt realize that I'd need a bootable disk to image a Dell?? Thanks for the link Quartz, if the caps seem fine then I'll try to image it again with a bootable disk / flash drive.

So if I follow the directions on the link to set up the flash drive, would I then just copy a current BIOS .exe file to the flash drive to be able to update the BIOS from DOS??

So if I follow the directions on the link to set up the flash drive, would I then just copy a current BIOS .exe file to the flash drive to be able to update the BIOS from DOS??

Correct.

So I'm thinking that these 3 are the blown caps that I was hoping not to find on the motherboard. :mad:

2013-08-07_22-41-37_760.jpg

2013-08-07_22-42-44_564.jpg

So I'm thinking that these 3 are the blown caps that I was hoping not to find on the motherboard. :mad:

The angle of the light makes it difficult to tell, but given the seepage it seems very likely. If the capacitors are domed rather than flat, then yes, they're blown.

I don't remember if it was the 745 or 755, but I used to get blue screens reinstalling Windows as well. I don't remember which point it would blue screen anymore, but the fix for me was to go into the BIOS > SATA Operation and put it into ATA mode. Default was AHCI and would cause the install to blue screen at some point.

A BSOD from Sata mode being AHCI would be a ...7B.... type error, not the one he is getting.
Bad caps for sure from the pics

Good news for him! He has now a good excuse to dump the old Dell and get a proper computer!

I recommend self build in order to get value for money.

The angle of the light makes it difficult to tell, but given the seepage it seems very likely. If the capacitors are domed rather than flat, then yes, they're blown.

Bad caps for sure from the pics

Thanks for the responses. Yep, those caps are domed. I had never seen blown caps, so I wasnt exactly sure what they looked like. Now it looks like I have my very own set of blown caps!!! :rolleyes:

Good news for him! He has now a good excuse to dump the old Dell and get a proper computer!

I recommend self build in order to get value for money.

This PC was pretty much given to me, so I was hoping that it'd something that I could quickly image and get set up. I'll put it on a shelf for now, maybe I'd mess around with it and try to replace the blown caps down the road??

This PC was pretty much given to me, so I was hoping that it'd something that I could quickly image and get set up. I'll put it on a shelf for now, maybe I'd mess around with it and try to replace the blown caps down the road??

Well if you're the tinkering kind you're lucky as those caps are large and very easy to replace. All you'll need is a soldering iron, some suction tube (to remove the old solder) and a couple new caps. They cost a few cents a piece.

But personally I think that fixing hardware that old is a path of diminishing returns.

I might be interested in a replacement mobo, depending on how much you'd want??? Looks like I can get the caps + shipping for $15.50 (but I would also need to buy a soldering iron, etc). So just so it wouldnt be too much more than the $15.50 I might be interested.

You'll want to replace all the capacitors. There's no point replacing just a few only to find that a few more blow a week or two later.

I might be interested in a replacement mobo, depending on how much you'd want??? Looks like I can get the caps + shipping for $15.50 (but I would also need to buy a soldering iron, etc). So just so it wouldn't be too much more than the $15.50 I might be interested.

i might be a little out of your range.. ;)

i figure about 50 shipped....

1 cap kit
2 hours of my time removing, cleaning and soldering new ones on
8 hours burn in and use
1 front usb/led/temp/power button assembly. depending on what year your 745 was made in some of the boards take a core 2 duo and they have a different connector ect..

like others have said there is better deals to be had, eventually the power supplies in these die from the heat and you guessed it.... bad caps. ;)

I would stay away from dell machines all together unless you have easy access to parts.

755 can suffer the same issue one day the power light with come up orange and thats it. board dead.
760 power supply failures
780 power supply/board failures
790 power supply/board failures
7010 large number of doa on arrivals

I work for a large enterprise 20k+ computers, all the machines are in a ac controlled environment 70/71F all the time. We go through about 35 of these various models every week or two. We order them on a pallet, sometimes out of 20, 3 wont post. save your money and build something custom.

Back