BSOD from plugging in a usb to the mother board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

filip

2[H]4U
Computer was on everything is running, I plug in a usb controller and I get a bsod. Also for some time now the pc has not been able to shut down properly: it just shows the shutting down screen for infinity and I have to switch it off at the psu.
What the hell is that? Why that happen?

Have you recently plugged anything into the USB ports that might have cause some damaged?

I would run memtest and see if you are having some RAM issues

Also check the health of your hard drive. I once had problems kind of like this and it turned out my IDE controllers were corrupting data.

I'd start by poking around in event manager for more info. Also, Nirsoft bluescreenviewer might help locate the prob.

Thanks for the replies, i did most of those things new hardware, usb killer plugged into pc, ssd is old but i feel it should be an insta-kill if it is fucked.

Looks like it's that time, ryzen 3 it will be.

If it's new hardware then I'd try this first: go into device manager and select show hidden devices. Uninstall all the hidden ones, and all of the current USB as well. Obviously this is best done with a PS/2 KB because your mouse will get disabled. If that doesn't work you need to reinstall most likely. I have this issue now and again with my bench installs. Swapping lots of motherboards in and out and eventually W10 shits the bed.

If its connected thru the rear connector make sure none of the metal tabs were bent into the usb port.

Make sure you are running the latest BIOS and chipset drivers and OS is up to date with patches. USB issues can be caused by buggy firmware/BIOS/drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back