BSOD city after nvme drive install Dell XPS 13

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I recently purchased an xps 13 9350 motherboard to replace my 9343 motherboard in my XPS 13 Notebook so that I could upgrade my ram and hard drive to nvme. First thing I did was install my old SATA hard drive and boot into windows and made a backup. Then I installed an ADATA SX8200 Pro SSD and got a bios error that the drive was faulty. So I upgrade bios from 1.4.4 to the latest 1.10.1 bios release. Then I replaced the SATA hard drive with the ADATA sx8200 Pro SSD NVME disk and was able to install Windows ver 1809 fresh and boot into Windows. Then randomly started to get random stop error blue screens immediately. Wasn't sure what was going on so went back to the SATA disk and no more blue screens. Completely stable as far as I can tell with the SATA WD Blue old hard drive. So swapped in the NVME drive and restored an image of the SATA drive and got nothing but spinning wheels with 'Windows repair' loop that didn't repair anything. So I installed latest Windows 1903 ver and immediately blue screen city all over again. Now back on the SATA ssd and it seems stable.

Not sure of what was the cause. Do I have a bad motherboard? Driver issue?

Thanks

Hi,

I recently purchased an xps 13 9350 motherboard to replace my 9343 motherboard in my XPS 13 Notebook so that I could upgrade my ram and hard drive to nvme. First thing I did was install my old SATA hard drive and boot into windows and made a backup. Then I installed an ADATA SX8200 Pro SSD and got a bios error that the drive was faulty. So I upgrade bios from 1.4.4 to the latest 1.10.1 bios release. Then I replaced the SATA hard drive with the ADATA sx8200 Pro SSD NVME disk and was able to install Windows ver 1809 fresh and boot into Windows. Then randomly started to get random stop error blue screens immediately. Wasn't sure what was going on so went back to the SATA disk and no more blue screens. Completely stable as far as I can tell with the SATA WD Blue old hard drive. So swapped in the NVME drive and restored an image of the SATA drive and got nothing but spinning wheels with 'Windows repair' loop that didn't repair anything. So I installed latest Windows 1903 ver and immediately blue screen city all over again. Now back on the SATA ssd and it seems stable.

Not sure of what was the cause. Do I have a bad motherboard? Driver issue?

Thanks
what does the error say? yes it could be that you need the newest drivers. lots of people in the other win 10 1903 thread say they needed to update drivers first. go to the oems of the devices in it to get drivers instead of going to dell.

All I remember its a blue screen stop error that says something like 'less than zero' something or the other. So far though no errors running off of the SATA installation that I had before.
I really do not want to reinstall windows anyhow and would prefer to migrate my SSD as it is with all of its multiple partitions to a new disk. For example I have an ESP partition, Diags, No Name partition, WinRe Tools parition, C drive partition, No Name, PBR Image partition. And when I try to clone with Macrium Reflect this disk with all these partitions it fails.

At least I'm not the only one: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Problems-upgrading-to-WD-Black-SSD-on-XPS-15-9570/td-p/6178545

Thanks

Back