Brutal PSU reviewing 101

Did they even crack open the psu case, and kill the warrentee sticker? that should be the FIRST step in ANY review of any sort. It doesn't matter if the product is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that should be #1 on the list of things to do.

Seeing PSU guts is always good.

They didn't even bother hooking the thing up to a computer so they could get some software readings like many "reviews" do.

My favorite part was this:

The only constructive criticism we have to MGE is to use only one name as the brand name. Using MGE and XG at the same time is confusing.

Which is the same thing they said about the LAST XG PSU they reviewed (see my blog on it today at http://www.jonnyguru.com/)

i'm confused .. is that a review of it or?????

jonny what's the next one on your bench?

mal

Be nice they did do some reasearch on......errrrrr.......froogle?

I know I'm spoiling something I'm working on but I'll give you a teaser of what they were afraid to show:

duro_2.jpg

this is what you're not seeing, the insides of the Duro 900. Very nicely laid out and as you can see it's a double sided PSU. The upper portion is the PFC circuitry and the lower portion is the actual PSU with all the rails fed off of it.

I can't believe that they're so afraid to split apart a PSU...

whoa .. i didn't know the PFC was so bulky ...

thanks for the pics..

mal

p.s. go gators

Did they even turn the unit on?
Or just take a picture, do a bit of math and post a glowing conclusion?

lol, that's the worst review i've ever seen. "ok so we've read the label to you and done basic math. this shows the product is good so buy it ok?" i like how they say that they can't do anything worthwhile with that ps since they don't have the equipment to test it. maybe if you don't have proper equipment, you shouldn't bother? i'm a big fan of "anything worth doing is worth doing right".

EDIT: just looked at some of the other reviews on their site, and i remembered that i had come across this site before and it basically leaves me annoyed that they even exist at all. way to set the bar in totally worthless reviews. if the owner of that site is here, i hope you realize that your content is about as valuable as an aol user's personal home page

Slartibartfast said:
I'm glad those guys are around to reveal all of those important hardware "secrets." :D

well at least they live up to their saying: they took a topic which is by nature a complex process (reviewing a power supply) and uncomplicated it. perhaps a more accurate slogan would be "we take the technology and intelligence out of tech reviews". once you strip away all the relevant testing, all you're left with is a commercial: "we don't know if this company's specs are accurate (since we can't do any testing of our own), but we're strongly in favor of what the label on the power supply says". now that's hard hitting journalism

i Do think their 'how to' on networking is good though.

if it was there 2 years ago.

Jeeze...

My 31/2 year old son could have done a better review, you know regurgitate what is written on the box...etc

Hell, at least he'd ask me for a screwdriver so he could take it apart...

Master [H] said:
I missed the part where they actually reviewed the PSU...

No, no, you didn't miss it.

MGE must not have given them enough money.

"This power supply isn’t fancy, but so what? It is one of the few power supplies available on the market that can truly deliver 900 watts."

So how did you draw the conclusion that it can truly deliver 900 watts? Would you read the specs off of a dirt cheap 500W power supply and claim that it can "truly deliver" 500 watts? If there is one category of PC components that is most subject to question, it's definately the wattage ratings of power supplys.

I dropped them a line.

AreEss said:
No, no, you didn't miss it.

MGE must not have given them enough money.

i think that review is indicitave of just the opposite. a real review likely wouldn't have ended with mge being shown in a positive light, so it's in mge's best interest to fund a glossover. now i'm not seriously saying that this site is being paid off to read stickers to their readers, as advertising tends to try to be sneakier.

Quote from hardware secrets forum:

utics words:
"talonz: he already mentioned, "we would need something to pull all its rated power,....." and by looking at the formula on the conclusion page, we can get a pretty good idea what the true total wattage is, and without owning the specific equipment to do the tests, that's the best bet (which equalled 942.6 W).
Judging by your comments, talonz, you haven't read the whole article, or you've skipped some vital information "

Judging by that reply utics is completely retarded and should be provided with federal idiot assistance as soon as possible.

utics words:
"talonz: he already mentioned, "we would need something to pull all its rated power,....." and by looking at the formula on the conclusion page, we can get a pretty good idea what the true total wattage is, and without owning the specific equipment to do the tests, that's the best bet (which equalled 942.6 W).
Judging by your comments, talonz, you haven't read the whole article, or you've skipped some vital information "

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Now we're adding the numbers up to get a power supplies actual capability!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Let's try that with a Powmax!!!! MUST BE A 700W!!!!!

I think someone dropped him on his head repeatedly when he was a child.

Even if you can't load it ALL the way up, at least pop 'er open.

kemist1117 said:
utics words:
There are too many levels of quotes here, especially implicit. My head hurts. Link to the original thread, anyone?

unhappy_mage said:
There are too many levels of quotes here, especially implicit. My head hurts. Link to the original thread, anyone?

The link to that is in wee96's post.

To be honest, the only guys that do decent power supply reviews are the ones from http://www.xbitlabs.com, since they built such device.

I hate being the unknown little guy on the block. :(

But that just shows their ignorance. My ego aside... What about SPCR? What about Lee over at PCPer? What about whenever Untrusted Reviews goes over to Tagan to borrow their ATE? Do these guys ever get out onto the interweb to see what other people are actually doing?

Back