Browsing with a smartphone VS a fast computer

kensiko

Limp Gawd
I've always preferred to browse the Internet with my computer as I have yet to find a smartphone that is as quick to load pages with all the ads as my computer.

What CPU do you need on a smartphone to have the same web experience as a powerful computer ?

Typically a website has a desktop version and a mobile version, so it's more than just CPU because two different kinds of sites are being rendered. As far a speed, apple has the fastest and the top of the line samsung second. On my desktop, I strip ads with firefox addons. Unfortunately, addons are not available on the mobile Firefox version.

All in all - the latest iPhone is going to blow away most others.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mobile-benchmarks

Last edited:
Most modern smart phones with 3GB+ RAM (not ROM) should handle webpages fine, even the cheap ones. Less than that and you may need to strip the boatware or install a different android OS to make it bearable. Background apps and slow/spotty network connection are the major speed killers, in my experience. I've had dumb phones load webpages faster than a smart phone with a good connection. ;)

I find that the biggest drawback to browsing on a phone is the lack of a keyboard and a too aggressive autocorrect while you are typing in webpages.

As for the phone, I think it is more personal preference than anything. I wouldn't necessarily "convert" to Apple for slightly faster web page loading over a newer Android device (or vice versa). I use a Pixel 4a with 6GB of RAM and a mid range processor. A spotty network connection has more to do with my "experience" than the speed of the processor.

k, mine is a UleFone Power 6, how does it compare to a Pixel 4A in term of CPU power ?

Good, and what about battery life on a Pixen 4a ? I like my 3 days of battery life.

I last about 5m using a smartphone to browse. I can't stand it. I ditched mine and went back to a brick phone. Desktop is my only way to fly.

Pixel 4a is about 3 times faster single core and slightly less than half multi-core assuming Geekbench 5 is representative of what you want your phone to do.
https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/3022954

Right, I've been enjoying mt Pixel2 for the last three years, as the launch times are still virtually seamless for me., The Pixel 4a i twice as fast as mine, so you will be satisfied!

Ok, my UleFone gets Antutu score 85000 whereas the Pixel 4A is 268714, so I guess the CPU is way faster.

However, the battery on the Pixel is half the size of mine. I don't want to downgrade that much.

Isn't there any powerful smartphone with Antutu score over 200000 but with at least 5000 mAh battery ?

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/smartphones-best-battery-life,review-2857.html

The problem is faster components tend to consume more power. Simply having a 5000mAh battery may not get you the life you want.

Think of it as you would battery life in an ultrabook vs a gaming laptop. They can both have the same size battery but the ultrabook's slower and more power efficient components are going to give it a much better battery life.

Battery life is also highly effected by how you use your phone. One person might get 3 days of occasional phone calls and texting while another person with the same phone only gets 10 hours because they are watching YouTube and playing games all day.

Last edited:
I'm using my cellphone about 3-4 hours a day, so 3 days easily done, I could do more but for battery life I try to keep it between 20-80%.

I guess I'm screwed if I want performance and 3 days.

Ok, my UleFone gets Antutu score 85000 whereas the Pixel 4A is 268714, so I guess the CPU is way faster.

However, the battery on the Pixel is half the size of mine. I don't want to downgrade that much.

Isn't there any powerful smartphone with Antutu score over 200000 but with at least 5000 mAh battery ?

My Pixel 2 lasted me 5 days on day of purchase - Goggle tend to build more efficient phones software stack than Samsung.

My galaxy s4 with battery save on barely got me through two days.

With a typical web-browsing workload (screen always on), the Pixel 5 gets 12 hours of runtime.

96171.png

I use my phone for abut 2 hours a day, so you should get betewwn 2 and 3 days on that pixel 4a a 4 hours usage.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, addons are not available on the mobile Firefox version.

What version are you using?

I'm using Firefox Beta, version 86.0.0-beta.5, running on my Samsung S8+, and uBlock Origin is installed and working great.

Typically a website has a desktop version and a mobile version, so it's more than just CPU because two different kinds of sites are being rendered. As far a speed, apple has the fastest and the top of the line samsung second. On my desktop, I strip ads with firefox addons. Unfortunately, addons are not available on the mobile Firefox version.

All in all - the latest iPhone is going to blow away most others.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mobile-benchmarks
addons are available on firefox for android. been using ublock origin for awhile now.

to the OP, my current phone has 4gb of ram and it still not as fast as a desktop for browsing. maybe the phones with 8gb are close?

Last edited:
Most modern phones should load mobile pages fine, but pulling images and real time updating data and such down over cell and even wifi can impact load times vs a full pc. And how well the page is written and optimized.

Back