Browsing halts when connecting to VPN network

Hello everyone,

When I connected to my university network via VPN today, I noticed a very annoying issue: my internet browser traffic on the client PC (the one I am using) stops. When this happens, I can still remote desktop into the host PC and use it without issues. The browser on the host PC works fine through remote desktop. I used to be able to VPN into the university network and browse the internet on the client PC without any issues.

After I disconnect from the VPN, I can immediately browse the internet again without any issues. Note that the little blue internet circle on the network icon by the time disappears when the browsing is not possible (and reappears when it is).

Just to give some background info, I am running Vista 64-bit Business Edition. To connect, I am using the built-in windows vista VPN client since Cisco does not have a free 64-bit client available (at least to my knowledge).

I must have changed a setting either in the Buffalo (DD-WRT firmware) router recently that messed it up, but all I did was enable wake-on-lan. I also cloned my OS to another HD and am running off the new HD, but I wouldn't think that this would affect things as I made no network changes.

Does anyone have any ideas? Alternatively, if someone knows of a VPN client that I could use (for free) with Vista 64-bit, I can try that out. I would also be very grateful to know of such a client. Thanks in advance!

Open new browser, see if that helps, sounds like your browser is still "stuck" at the "old" network.

open the VPN, go to properties -- networking -- Internet proticol -- advanced and untick the "use default gateway on remote network." Restart your connection and it will use your default gateway and not the VPN.

Does your VPN allow for Split Tunneling? if not then its trying to route your internet through the VPN and out their gateway, will make stuff slow as a snail

open the VPN, go to properties -- networking -- Internet proticol -- advanced and untick the "use default gateway on remote network." Restart your connection and it will use your default gateway and not the VPN.

Thanks a ton! This did the trick. I owe you one :).

This makes sense because my internet traffic in the past would still dramatically slow down when I was VPN'd into the campus network. Out of curiosity, if I run uTorrent (for legal purposes, of course :)) on my PC and I am VPN'd in, my campus network would not be able to see that traffic, correct?

EDIT: Well, I thought it worked. My browsing is not halted, but when I try to remote desktop to my lab PC on campus, it fails to connect. I also cannot check out software licenses. When I recheck the box, I can do those things again, but am once again stuck without internet on the PC I am using. Perhaps there is a split tunnel option that I need to check or enable to allow both traffic?

i assume your client is windows? if so, you can't do anything. the VPN router you connect to gives your client the settings, which pushes down whether or not it's split or full tunneling. if you run linux, there's a client that will deny that setting, allowing you to run split tunneling even if they don't want you to.

basically, you'd have to ask the university network admins if they enabled full tunneling. if so, that's your problem, and not much you can do about it.

Back