Browsing files in Vista - "Date Modified"

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
One problem I've run into ever since I switched over to Vista a while ago is the columns of information it assigns to files.

Like if I open up a folder with a bunch of pictures or videos in it, it might have categories on the top for "Date Taken", "Tags", "Rating", etc.

Those are completely useless for my purposes, but categories like "Date Modified" which is what I usually sort by, isn't a default category for these folders.

I can right click on the bar with the various categories, and Date Modified will usually either be in there or I'll have to click "More" and find it in that list.

That wouldn't be so bad except that it doesn't seem to save those changes; when I go into the folder again later on, it's back to only having mostly useless categories to sort files by.

This can be a nightmare in some folders, like my MP3 folder, where Vista wants to tell me every little detail about every song in there - except for the details I need, like Date Modified.

Manually adding in the Date Modified field every single time has long since gotten very old.

It's a nice concept that it tries to change the categories automatically based on the contents of the folder, but really, how can I change it permanently to the categories I actually want?

Back