Browsers wont work after virus battle

Robert_J

Limp Gawd
Just survived a six hour battle with the horrid AV Security Suite malware...

long story short updated malwarebytes took care of it...
however now when i load up chrome and internet explorer it says page is unavailable...

windows wont automatically fix the problem either...
in control panel it says i am connected however i cant use any sort of internet connected program (chrome, explorer, steam, dragon age profile, etc.)

in case it matters... in the early stages i tried to remove the virus entires by entering the registry under a strict guide and removed the AV Security Suite entries from in there but stopped after i couldnt find documents and settings folder:eek:...

anyways..

what must i do???

Did you follow any of the malware removal thread that's stickied at the top of this forum? Lots of good tools that which people took the time to gather and post.

Check you Internet Exploader connection settings..specifically make sure it's not set to a proxy..lots of malware will toss a proxy setting in there.

I mean no offense.

If something slips past you and is able to cause damage, call me paranoid, but it's time to reformat.

I've dealt with this exact same suite/issue. Open IE8, and go into the Internet Options. HIt the advanced tab, and at the bottom, hit the reset button. Works like 90% of the time.

I mean no offense.

If something slips past you and is able to cause damage, call me paranoid, but it's time to reformat.

perhaps so.... lets hope it doesnt come to that... alright thanks ill look at that malware removal guide

I've dealt with this exact same suite/issue. Open IE8, and go into the Internet Options. HIt the advanced tab, and at the bottom, hit the reset button. Works like 90% of the time.

Also, if you don't the first time, try it again, but hit the Delete personal settings button on the confirmation page, if it didn't work with a settings only reset.

First thing I'd try are the LAN settings in your browser. Internet options > Connections tab > LAN settings > make sure proxy is unchecked. Second, what Oldie recommended. Third, Host file. If the problem persists, you could try a WinSockFix.exe (google it).

First thing I'd try are the LAN settings in your browser. Internet options > Connections tab > LAN settings > make sure proxy is unchecked. Second, what Oldie recommended. Third, Host file. If the problem persists, you could try a WinSockFix.exe (google it).

First on the list is what happened to us here at work for several infections. Nice easy fix... ;)

Hope this helps
This infection changes your Windows settings to use a proxy server that will not allow you to browse any pages on the Internet with Internet Explorer or update security software. Regardless of the web browser you use, for these instructions we will first need need to fix this problem so that we can download the utilities we need to remove this infection.

Please start Internet Explorer, and when the program is open, click on the Tools menu and then select Internet Options. Now click on the Connections tab, Now click on the Lan Settings button, Under the Proxy Server section, please uncheck the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN. Then press the OK button to close this screen. Then press the OK button to close the Internet Options screen. Now that you have disabled the proxy server you will be able to browse the web again with Internet Explorer

Unless you have a log of what exactly was put on the system and where, then you're better off just reformatting.

netsh winsock reset

is also good to fix the results of this foolishness. It restores the winsock library to its original state before the viruses inject all sorts of herpes in there.

First thing I'd try are the LAN settings in your browser. Internet options > Connections tab > LAN settings > make sure proxy is unchecked.

Just dealt with this at work today. First thing I checked.

i see this all the time at work. a re-format is not always needed. just a simple proxy setting.

i see this all the time at work. a re-format is not always needed. just a simple proxy setting.

This.

Open command prompt and try to ping a known good ip address such as 209.98.98.98 , if that works you got a proxy that the malware added to the browser.

netsh winsock reset

is also good to fix the results of this foolishness. It restores the winsock library to its original state before the viruses inject all sorts of herpes in there.

that one has been a life saver a few times on friends computers.

Back