Browsers constantly crashing

plasma

Gawd
Both Firefox and IE are constantly crashing on me :confused: I can open them up view pages for sometimes just a few minutes to as long as a few hours and then they crash :mad: I've run antivirus and spyware checks and didnt find anything. Cleared temp files etc.. and even went as far as reinstalling Firefox but it still does it. Got any other ideas or what might be causing it?

Might be a RAM problem...I had the same issue then I replaced the ram and it went away. Found out my family rig's 1GB kit had a bad stick.

I run AVG, Adaware and Spybot.

I have some other stuff I can try, but to run other AV scans should I uninstall or just disable the AVG?

You could try Opera, its much faster, and more memory efficient than IE or Firefox.
Plus it has better CSS support and a myriad of other features.

plasma said:
to run other AV scans should I uninstall or just disable the AVG?

I would uninstall AVG (not that I'm saying it's bad) and download the 30 day (I think) free trial of NOD32, and try it out. Even if it doesn't solve your problems, I think you'll like it. And if you don't, you can always go back to AVG.
Superantispyware can be used as an addition to what you already have.

I don't think its a hardware problem because I can play games, and run apps with no issues. Its just browsing the internet. I'm going to upgrade to IE 7 and see if that fixes IE crashing, and firefox has always done odd stuff do I don't know.

I'll try nod32 and some other spyware utilities I have

Since I've upgraded to FireFox 2.0 I've had problems with it just randomly locking up. Then it shows 'Not responding'. Have to do control, alt, del to shut it down. I'm having this problem with it on 2 different pc's. I don't use IE, so don't know about any issues there. FireFox may have a bug in the new version...don't know. But I never saw any of this in the older 1.x versions.

Hope you get it tracked down.

Back