Browser Workaround for Youtube Failure to Pre-load?

fn9

Weaksauce
I'm on Firefox, but it seems a lot of browsers are having issues with this and I'm sure most of you have experienced it.

Pause a video and it will no longer load in its entirety.

The closest thing to a fix is to change to "I have a slow connection..." in settings-->playback. Then preloading will work, but all videos autoload in lower quality (annoying).

Has anyone found a better approach?

I think YouTube intelligently pre-loads based on connection speed and place in the video to conserve bandwidth. I can only imagine how many billions of videos would get pre-loaded 100% and then not watched.

If you want to pre-load, just grab it from a site like KeepVid (it gives you the resolution option) and watch it later.

I think YouTube intelligently pre-loads based on connection speed and place in the video to conserve bandwidth. I can only imagine how many billions of videos would get pre-loaded 100% and then not watched.

If you want to pre-load, just grab it from a site like KeepVid (it gives you the resolution option) and watch it later.

Maybe those with very fast connections don't notice the issue, but a quick search on the web reveals that the new scheme is causing many users a lot of frustration. Also, having to go through another site like keepvid ruins the seamless experience that helped make youtube so popular.

Agreed, I generally never use KeepVid for that. Only if I want something for a flight that I can't get elsewhere.

As for the pre-load issue, it's not always down to your home connection. The location that it's streaming from might be overloaded. The best way to check is to try different resolutions, as they usually stream from a different content location/server that might be less loaded.

Agreed, I generally never use KeepVid for that. Only if I want something for a flight that I can't get elsewhere.

As for the pre-load issue, it's not always down to your home connection. The location that it's streaming from might be overloaded. The best way to check is to try different resolutions, as they usually stream from a different content location/server that might be less loaded.

I don't mean to come off rude, but you don't seem informed about this issue that many folks are having.

I don't mean to come off rude, but you don't seem informed about this issue that many folks are having.

By your description it sounds like I have. Unless you can provide more detail on what I missed?

Back