Brother needs a laptop for college

My brother is going to college (commuting to DeVry) and he needs a laptop for when he is on campus and doing work. He wants something about middle in size and power with 1gb of memory. We stopped at Circuit City and were looking, nothing was quite what he wanted there. I fired up Newegg to see (since they usually have better values) and I came across this laptop. I never have really heard of ABS as a company before so I don't know what tendencies they have. Also from the FAQ I read that AMD 64's are usually in larger and that's what is in the linked laptop, so I think it may be a little big for him. Anyone have any alternatives that may be better for his needs or will this fit the bill?

Here is what I have been eyeing up.

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=156

It is a pretty nice middle of the road laptop for a pretty nice price. The 6600go will spank the ati 9700 in that ABS you found.

You can also purchase barebones versions and piece together what you would like over at www.rjtech.com

I am sure there will be people in here soon telling you to buy a Dell with one of their coupons. That is also a great route. You would get alot of power for the money by getting an inspiron 9300 or the XPS Gen2. I have had a 9300. I have just found that I would prefer a 15.4" notebook over a 17" for my own uses. And the inspiron 6000 just doesnt have enough horsepower in the video card department for me.

Good Luck

Long Live AMD!!!!

Dell has a sweet deal on a 700m right now, I will find the link for you.

EDIT: Boooo, expired.

I've got a dv1000 series HP i'm selling...its 3 weeks old and it barely used...it has integrated graphics but it is lighter than the two models you are looking at. pm me if you want more info

IBM Thinkpad, whichever series and model that fits the needs and budget.

All we buy here at work is thinkpads and they they are deffinately the most durrable laptops around. However you will pay for that durrability I would get a Dell Inspiron 6000 for a middle-of-the-road lappy.

Back