Broken Steel Downloadable Content For PC Broken

HardOCP News

[H] News
All of us PC guys got a good laugh at console owners last time when they had Fallout 3 DLC problems, well...karma is a bitch and now it’s our turn for broken DLC. Have no fear, Bethesda says they are working hard on a fix for Broken Steel, in the mean time…download Windows 7 or something.

As we reported previously, PC users who downloaded the Broken Steel downloadable content via Games for Windows Live this morning were treated to a "cryptographic message is not formatted correctly" error. We contacted Bethesda's Pete Hines, who explained that the error is related to Games for Windows Live.

GfWL does my head in, its unnecessary and unwanted.
(here at least :))

GfWL does my head in, its unnecessary and unwanted.
(here at least :))

<Rant>

AMEN! Microsoft REALLY screwed up the DLC for Fallout 3. I bought the game off of Steam (which I love!) so why can't I buy the expansions from Steam??? I've bought the last 2 expansions, and BOTH of them did not install properly, I had to search my hard drive for the ESM files and copy them manually, then tell Fallout 3 to load the data files. That's just unacceptable.

Any why the heck do I have to buy MS points in retarded increments? Why can't I just buy enough points for whatever I'm buying? I HATE THAT!

</Rant>

GFWL is, In my opinion, a scapegoat. Look at the failure of a track record with DLC for fallout 3.
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Steve I just want to add the PC users have had issues with every DLC for this game. Hell they still have issues with the core game. Also apparently (i have not upgraded yet) the 1.5 patch introduced new issues.

Granted, I would say 90% of the issues pertain to GfWL, but there are a good deal of problems relating directly to the addons and game that falls on Bethesda's shoulders.

<Rant>

AMEN! Microsoft REALLY screwed up the DLC for Fallout 3. I bought the game off of Steam (which I love!) so why can't I buy the expansions from Steam??? I've bought the last 2 expansions, and BOTH of them did not install properly, I had to search my hard drive for the ESM files and copy them manually, then tell Fallout 3 to load the data files. That's just unacceptable.

Any why the heck do I have to buy MS points in retarded increments? Why can't I just buy enough points for whatever I'm buying? I HATE THAT!

</Rant>

To answer both of your questions, it is more profitable for them that way.

I would also like to add that Bethesda's answer to most of these issues is to redownload it. 500+MB download a second time... In an age where ISP's are imposing monthly bandwidth caps.

<Rant>

</Rant>

Little know secret: The Zune Markplace allows you to buy points in different increments than the Live Marketplace.

I was a Bethesda supporter since 02 with Morrowind and he unnecessary problems that have occurred from them forcing GFWL down our throats, in order to play any of the DLCs has ruined that support. I was even ok with them switching their security model around to use SecuRom as a disc check (although they swear it's the same model as Oblivion). But making use GFWL? No thanks.

I would also like to add that Bethesda's answer to most of these issues is to redownload it. 500+MB download a second time... In an age where ISP's are imposing monthly bandwidth caps.
/offtopic
I downloaded a free MMORPG at just over 3.5Gigs 3 times the other day because I was trying different sources to see which would be faster, I went to bed and found them all downloaded when I got up. Why do they think I paid for a fast connection? So I could use it all in the first 30 seconds of every month and then not use the interenet for the rest of the month?

Its bethesda's fault. Previous Fallout DLC's were screwed also.

I mean, nobody else has any problems with GFWL dlc? and hell, DLC on 360 works quite fine.

I mean, nobody else has any problems with GFWL dlc? and hell, DLC on 360 works quite fine.

...GWL isn't for the 360, its for Windows, hence "Games for Windows Live", hence Live games work fine on the 360.

Didn't the last GWL mess up a couple of games, like GTAIV?
Yep, it cut Grand Theft Auto IV framerates in half for no particular reason.

Basically, Microsoft's "extensive testing" involves two guys sticking their cocks into their computer's disc drive at once, then opening and closing the tray over and over.

Its bethesda's fault. Previous Fallout DLC's were screwed also.

No, it's not Bethesda's fault. The first time, the Xbox version of the DLC sent to Microsoft was corrupted somehow in transmission, and thus can't really be called anyone's fault. With Broken Steel, Bethesda sent all the right files but Microsoft fucked up the DRM included which prevents everyone from installing it, including Bethesda developers.

I will continue to pirate all of the Fallout 3 DRM until I can buy it on a system other than GfWL.

The broken thing in this lies with MS's GFWL, as with the GTA4 thing, but hey thanks for being a scumbag pirate and ripping people off for what wasn't their fault and admitting to it :cool:

Wait, how did we PC guys get a laugh when the DLC was broken for consoles? Fallout 3 STILL doesn't work properly on a lot of PCs. I have to play it full screen in windowed mode or it borks out and crashes...and this is after a new processor, going SLi, installing Windows XP Pro again, and getting a new damn motherboard.
There have been serious issues with the engine used for Fallout 3 that Bethesda continues to ignore. That the DLC is broken just says that they STILL can't get their act together. As such, I'll continue to pirate the DLC until they fix their shit.

Little know secret: The Zune Markplace allows you to buy points in different increments than the Live Marketplace.

Ya, I heard about that, but talk about a pain in the gluteus maximus. Why can't I just type in how many points I want, or just click the "buy 800 points" next to the buy DLC button or something?

I really hate MS sometimes.

Ya, I heard about that, but talk about a pain in the gluteus maximus. Why can't I just type in how many points I want, or just click the "buy 800 points" next to the buy DLC button or something?

I really hate MS sometimes.

For that matter, why can't we just buy it with real fucking money and not use the point shit?

It's working fine for me now. I bought it, downloaded, and installed it without a hitch and am well on my way to level 21 now :D

The broken thing in this lies with MS's GFWL, as with the GTA4 thing, but hey thanks for being a scumbag pirate and ripping people off for what wasn't their fault and admitting to it :cool:
I don't have a single pirated game on my PC. I own 35+ games on STEAM and I buy every title that I play.

However, if they are going to saddle down these titles with bloated bullshit like Games for Windows Live that serves NO PURPOSE other than the DLC, which is already a huge pain in the ass in the first place to get working, and then charge me $10 for a couple-hour expansion when I already paid $50 for the game in the first place, they can go screw themselves.

I'd love to be able to purchase the content on STEAM or hell even directly off the website and I am more than willing to pay for it, but the entire system built around Fallout 3's DLC and GfWL is a broken mess and a rip off.

Since GWL is a piece of crap, how the hell do I add my Fallout 3 game to the list of games I own? I know I bought Anchorage but I can't find it on the list either.

Does their database management when it comes to knowing what games I own suck or what?

For that matter, why can't we just buy it with real fucking money and not use the point shit?
IIRC, MS's reasoning was that it was done to deal with exchange rates in different areas. The DLC is 800 Points no matter where you are. But the cost of 800 points will differ from country to country.

Bullshit I know. I hate buying 'credits' because you always end up with ones you will never use. I guess just be glad Zune marketplace sells them in 800 point chunks.

Just because Microsoft thought they had something with the Xbox (Xbox Live) they thought that it would transfer over to PC's (GFWL). Didnt work along with every other port they have done from console to PC

why do adults still cliam to be "us and them" when referring to video game machines jesus christ

Heh, there we go again. Couldn't they just release all DLC and extras as an expansion disc or something..

"It's not Bethsoft's fault; it's GfWL"

And who chose to use GfWL? Yep - it's Bethsoft's fault, regardless of where the glitch occurs.

"It's not Bethsoft's fault; it's GfWL"

And who chose to use GfWL? Yep - it's Bethsoft's fault, regardless of where the glitch occurs.

Yeah because they knew this would happen when they went with GFWL. I mean with all the precognitive people we have in the world how could they not see this coming....

Yeah because they knew this would happen when they went with GFWL. I mean with all the precognitive people we have in the world how could they not see this coming....
They should have gotten the fucking hint that GFWL doesn't work when they released Operation Anchorage. But they still went ahead and insisted on releasing them for GFWL even though every DLC never worked properly to install in the first place.

They should have gotten the fucking hint that GFWL doesn't work when they released Operation Anchorage. But they still went ahead and insisted on releasing them for GFWL even though every DLC never worked properly to install in the first place.

You do realize they probably signed an agreement with Microsoft to distribute the DLC through GFWL, right? The games entire DLC and patch set-up is through GFWL. It would be very hard, if not impossible, for them to change that.

What happened with Operation Anchorage anyway?

You do realize they probably signed an agreement with Microsoft to distribute the DLC through GFWL, right? The games entire DLC and patch set-up is through GFWL. It would be very hard, if not impossible, for them to change that.

What happened with Operation Anchorage anyway?
The same exact thing that's happening right now. It doesn't install properly. Same for Pitt. You have to go get the damn install file, and manually "install" it yourself.

The same exact thing that's happening right now. It doesn't install properly. Same for Pitt. You have to go get the damn install file, and manually "install" it yourself.

That is a problem with the Steam version. Never had that problem with my retail copy.

No we're talking about the DLC's. Fallout 3 isn't on GFWL and the DLC's are exclusive to GFWL.

Yes, but the Steam versions of the game don't install the DLC correctly. That's why Steam users have to "install" it manually. People with retail copies don't have that problem.

Yes, but the Steam versions of the game don't install the DLC correctly. That's why Steam users have to "install" it manually. People with retail copies don't have that problem.
Okay first of all, the DLC's aren't on Steam. That being Operation Anchorage, The Pitt, & Broken Steel, not Fallout 3. Fallout 3 is sold on Steam and in retail stores.

Are you just going for postcount's?

Why don't you keep on going being obtuse. K?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you keep on going being obtuse. K?

How about you keep going on being a complete idiot? Either that or you can get a fucking clue and try to use your god damn brain and understand what I'm typing. If you insist on continuing to do the former, don't bother responding to this post.

Back