Broken Network Port

antok86

[H]F Junkie
i have come across a network RJ45 port that when a cat5 is plugged in will fall out. no click. tried serveral new cables. issue is with teh port/jack itself. is there any fix or remedy other than gluing the cable in there lol

Assuming you have inspected the female rj45 connector w/magnifying glass and are sure there is no foreign debris etc. in there I like camouflage duct tape lol

If it's a wall outlet, or a modular patch panel, replace the connector. If it's a fixed patch panel, move the cable to another port.

im using a usb 3.0 to gigabit but its plugged into usb 2.0 so not sure if this is actually slower than just doing wifi lol

USB 2.0 is rated up to 480 Mbit/s... It's probably fine for most things... e.g. Web surfing, watching PrOn, etc...

I thought I've seen this before except the cable was actually not properly engaging and 'clicking' in place. I'd check that first because I would be absolutely shocked if a port was damaged like this without ripping the port off the board.

I've done some iperf tests on usb2.0 adapters and get a little north of 300Mbps. Some food for thought.

Maybe you can still use some sort of ethernet cable lock to keep it attached? Otherwise, soldering a new rj45 jack?

The USB to Ethernet idea is the maximum amount of time/effort I'd invest in any sort of AIO PC...

64.jpg

There was a game called Necromancer on the C64. Wasn't very fun.

Back