Broken cut-off wheels and aluminum in my eyes

frozenphil

Limp Gawd
So at noon I set out to pick up some last minute stuff that I needed to setup my watercooled rig. I got to my room and started up my dremel around 2pm.

You may remember the Lytron 6110 that I posted about a week ago. I got it off ebay for $40.

lytron.jpg

I had to hack apart the external 3.5" drive cage so that my radiator would fit. It seems like an easy job, but making it so that the cage could support the weight of a floppy proved tricky. I'm doubting its ability right now, but we'll see.

Here's a pic from after I got the radiator installed.

settingup1.jpg

Here's how she sits now. I'm going to let it run all night to make sure there are no leaks and to try to get most of the air out of the system before I put the computer **** in there. Air in the system decreases cooling efficiency greatly.
Some of the tubing looks like **** because I reused some of it from my old rig. Nevermind the water on the ground. I'm an idiot. I forgot to put teflon tape around the threads on the radiator. As soon as I poured water into the system I realized what I did. There was no easy way of fixing it without getting water everywhere. It is fixed now. Notice the now single bay 3.5" external cage above the radiator.

settingup2.jpg

There's about 9 broken cut-off wheels laying there in this pic mixed in with bits of aluminum from the external 3.5" cage and the hole I had to make in the top. That ****ing floppy cage was a PITA.

settingup3.jpg

The radiator.

settingup4.jpg

The reservoir above where the PSU will go.

settingup5.jpg

The radiator as seen from the front with the cover removed. I thought about removing more metal here, but I'm not sure how much structural integrity I'll keep if I do.

settingup6.jpg

FIN.

I'm still flowing about 3gpm. I just stuck an aquarium thermometer in the reservoir. With the radiator fan off and nothing heating the system it is sitting at 25C...2C under ambient.

Originally posted by frozenphil
I'm still flowing about 3gpm. I just stuck an aquarium thermometer in the reservoir. With the radiator fan off and nothing heating the system it is sitting at 25C...2C under ambient.

Nice setup you got there.... but it's not under ambient unless you added something cold to the water. Do you have the problem of a little vortex forming inside that res?

Originally posted by emorphien
Ummm, right.
This is without anything inside the case except the watercooling stuff. It's just leak testing and purging right now.

Still can't physically go under ambient unless you put something colder than ambient in it.

Originally posted by zer0signal667
Nice setup you got there.... but it's not under ambient unless you added something cold to the water. Do you have the problem of a little vortex forming inside that res?
No vortex. I have it filled about 3/4 of the way to the top. There's a little divider inside the res that separates the inlet and outlet. I got it from dangerden.

Still can't physically go under ambient unless you put something colder than ambient in it.
Then my thermometer is reading the ambient temp and water temp wrong.

Leave it running for a while. If it's fresh, cool, water then it will have a lower temp. It should stabilize to being at least the same temp as the air, should likely be a bit higher due to the pump producing some heat but i don't know how much.

Could be getting a venturi effect through the rad which would cool the air slightly below ambient.

Keep in mind that I'm in Alaska. While the ambient temp in my room is 27C, my window is open and there is a slight temp change at ground level. I think the rad is getting a cold breeze across it.

I understand that it can't be lower than ambient, I just found it interesting when I checked the temp and saw that it was below ambient.

Unless you just filled it not all that long ago and the water is still cold, there's no way it's 2 degrees below ambient. It's just not going to happen with a normal watercooling setup. Maybe if you had a bong cooler or something, but not like that. Chances are one of your temp readings are off.

Edit: Just saw your post. Yeah, chances are the temp is colder around the computer than where you're taking the room temp at.

dremeling inside = really dumb idea

dremeling in your dorm = incrediably stupid idea

believe you me, i know

I wasn't about to take it outside into the snow to hack up my case.
Besides, I get out of the military in 3 weeks. Someone else can deal with the aluminum shavings. :D

Back